what would u do for 8k

Sturg1647545502

My little brother is going to college in the fall and needs a car. looking to spend 8k or under for a RELIABLE yet fun car to last him for atleast 4years or how ever long it takes him to graduate.

i was thinking last gen. 98-99 Prelude. we looked at an type2(C32A) 95 acura ledgend w 74,000mi, origianl owner, leather, non smoker, moon roof for 7800..blue book has it at 8200-8400

suggestions?

also ive heard of kits where you obtain an oil sample from the car in question and mail it to X lab, and they will give you specs about wear and tear on the engine. any truth to that, and if so where can i get a kit

ill sell him my elantra for 8k 03, 65k miles, keyless entry, been perfectly maintained, oil changes at 6k, timing belt at 60k, tranny fluid replaced at 30/60k. new clutch at 50k...some mods done to it. itll last for a while as long as he keeps the maintenence up. havent had a single problem with it (that i havent caused)

Doc man I thought you were gonna make the prelude the new beast......

LOL - if it's not sold, it will be.

so your taking they car away, what brought this on?

No, it's not like that. I'll fill you in on the details in person (and thus avoid the thread hikack).

Guest mithesaint

X2 on the Grand Prix. A GT, if you don't buy Vinny's GTP, could probably be found cheaper, with less miles, and not require premium gas. On the other hand, it's also not very moddable. Depends on his preferences and future plans. The GT is 200 HP and 225 TQ out of the box, and moves relatively well for a 4 door grocery getter.

Not that I'm biased or anything:)

Keep in mind that vinny used to be a mechanic and is a good guy so You can buy his car and put 3k into a apartment books etc and make getting school done much easier. Plus a Gm is much cheaper in the parts area

I am not saying this is the only choise just a super good one

X2 on the Grand Prix. A GT, if you don't buy Vinny's GTP, could probably be found cheaper, with less miles, and not require premium gas. On the other hand, it's also not very moddable. Depends on his preferences and future plans. The GT is 200 HP and 225 TQ out of the box, and moves relatively well for a 4 door grocery getter.

Not that I'm biased or anything:)

are you kidding? lol. my buddy had a 2000 GP GT and the few times i raced him in my 2003 elantra w/ intake/exhaust i beat him him every time from a dig, and when we did a 40-110 roll (his car stopped at 108) a couple times i beat him by 3 cars. while it wasnt a bad car, its still FWD and its heavy as hell. the GP shouldve been RWD at the least.

the no mods for the GP GT are true. he couldnt find anything for that car. it was mainly S/C kits but everything else he wanted had to be custom

are you kidding? lol. my buddy had a 2000 GP GT and the few times i raced him in my 2003 elantra w/ intake/exhaust i beat him him every time from a dig, and when we did a 40-110 roll (his car stopped at 108) a couple times i beat him by 3 cars. while it wasnt a bad car, its still FWD and its heavy as hell. the GP shouldve been RWD at the least.

the no mods for the GP GT are true. he couldnt find anything for that car. it was mainly S/C kits but everything else he wanted had to be custom

GP > Elantra...

ok. think what you want. if he still had the GP GT id go out and race him right now and show you. im not saying my car is fast by any means, because its not, but it is faster than his car before he got rid of it. its a slow heavy FWD car.

on thurs i test drove a 97 prelude that was automatic w/manumatic. it was pretty smooth, a little less power than i expected. but what really got mewas the head room. im 6'1-6'2 and i felt like i was ducking in there. pluss the field of vision was lowered. just not ment for tall guys? other than that, for 133k mi the engine was solid and the car was well taken care of.

ive thought about GTP's before, but im trying to stick w/ n/a....get every mile possible out of the engine. plus save on shit gas

Guest mithesaint

Did I miss something???? I believe my exact words were: it moves relatively well for a 4 door grocery getter. Where did I make any claims about it's 40-108 capabilities? So your modded hyuandi is faster than your friends GT. YAWN. Ask me why I care. Oh wait, I don't. Your modded car is faster than my stock one. You want a cookie or something?

Sturg never mentioned modding and racing. In fact, he has the word RELIABLE capitalized. Modding and street racing are two of the worst things you can do for the reliability of a car. I merely suggested a relatively cheap car that holds up well. If he wants to mod it, there are plenty of mods available for the GT. Your friend just apparently had no idea where to look. Start at http://www.clubgp.com. Hell, there's a 3800 shop in plain city. The problem with the GT is that it doesn't respond well to cheap mods. You want speed? Better save 3K for a turbo and another few grand for a ZZP tranny. With the GTP, the gains are dirt cheap. Once again though, he never mentioned modding.

I'd prefer the GP to be FWD. 200 HP RWD cars are not generally any more exciting than a 200 HP FWD, and the FWD gets me through the snow much easier. I drive to Toledo and Cleveland all the time, and would prefer a FWD 4 door with decent size.

Its a slow heavy FWD car.

Hehe, prepares to stir pot...

GP > Elentra for WAY more reasons than speed and/or weight. Ahh, I just noticed your car in your profile. Hyundai folks seem to be very much like Mopar fans. Very loyal. And, no, there is nothing wrong with that.