To sell or not to sell the Moostang, and what to replace it with

Nitrousbird

Selling the Mustang would pay off no debt. Sure as hell wouldn't make a dent in my house payment, wouldn't make much of a dent in my Avalanche debt, and would only be a smallish dent in my school loan, but after tax savings at the end of the year, that equals out to about interest free, which means early payoff isn't useful. That's it for debt; I've paid off everything else already.

How about you shut the fuck up, and do what I tell you.

Well, I have a serious offer from a friend to buy my Moostang. He has a riced out Civic he bought that way cheap (he hates how it looks, and de-riced it as much as he could while adding a turbo; probably high-14 second car at best). Well, he found a sucker to buy it, and now he wants my car.

Here's the issue. The Jimmy is for sale (not running), and I have no desire to ever drive it again. The Avalanche is my daily driver. The Formula, once it is back together, is only a weekend toy/take it to the track/every once in the while evening car. I'll never drive it to work, or anything like that.

The Mustang is very reliable. It needs probably $50 in parts tops and several hours of labor to get it back to where I want it (exhaust issues). I don't need the money for it at all, and would hate to dump an asset, as the car isn't going to really depreciate any more than it has. It looks decent cleaned up, and is something other than a truck to drive around in the summer; plus is a fun stick car, even though it is a typical slow Moostang. Though I don't need a second toy/daily driver, never hurts to have a backup.

That being said, I'd probably want to replace it with something else that is fun. But I don't have the spare funds over the sale price to replace it. I think he would buy it from me for $2500-3000.

Let's say I have 3k to spend. What kind of fun, sports-type car could I really get for that? Something I don't have to dump a ton of time/money into, and something I won't mod much. FWD is not an option. AWD/RWD only. I want something fun to drive and I don't want a bike. Doesn't have to be super fast.

I'm sure I could get an early MKII MR2 N/A for that. I love those cars, but might be a tad slow for my tastes. Guess I could spray it. Other suggestions would be appreciated. Again, NO ECONOMY CARS AND NOTHING FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, PERIOD.

Then you should at least try reading the first one. :D

Guest mudbutt
Hard for you to believe Im being objective, as Ive owned quite a few of these cars, but mk3 supra. You can find a nice one in thr 3000 range. They really only start being a hasstle with larger mods or idiot owners running the shit out of 200k+ motors, usually the 2nd. They are VERY comfortable for both large and tall people. A good friend was 6,3 300lbs and loved driving mine. The head gasket problem isnt as bad as it is made out to be. A retorque will prevent this and stay fine as long as it isnt already blown. All the comforts of a luxury car in a sporty GT. Parts are cheap and they are really easy to work on. Targa is also a nice option.

Hard for you to believe Im being objective, as Ive owned quite a few of these cars, but mk3 supra. You can find a nice one in thr 3000 range. They really only start being a hasstle with larger mods or idiot owners running the shit out of 200k+ motors, usually the 2nd. They are VERY comfortable for both large and tall people. A good friend was 6,3 300lbs and loved driving mine. The head gasket problem isnt as bad as it is made out to be. A retorque will prevent this and stay fine as long as it isnt already blown. All the comforts of a luxury car in a sporty GT. Parts are cheap and they are really easy to work on. Targa is also a nice option.

Uh, for some reason I feel compelled to agree with mudbutt. :grin2:

Seriously, everything he says is true. I'm not a small guy myself and I have a bad back. My car is truly very comfortable, my back actually feels better once I've been in it a bit, and it has plenty of potential. Parts are becoming very plentiful. I bought mine for 3g's.

I'd say either keep it, because we all know you Joe, and you won't be happy unless it's a V8 rear drive.

The bimmer is an interesting idea, and something that I would go for, but you would think it's stupid slow. They are only really fun as auto-x or road track cars when they are stripped to the bones and have good suspension and brake upgrades.

The trailor is the best idea that you have had thus far. Knowing you, I'd say do that. :)