The Formula: Good/Bad

MrMeanGreen

The Good: Andy and his Zaino came over yesterday and did a helluva job on the car (pics and kudos to follow in Consumer Reports) and I took it to the Roby GM show today were it picked up a trophy. Woo hoo.

The Bad: I popped a head gasket on the way back from Roby from a 50 roll. I emptied my radiator via my coolant reservoir under boost. But damn does the car run like a motherfucker. The tach can't keep up with it :D

I was able to pull the car over on 270 under the Sawmill overpass before it overheated (it hit 240* when I shut it off, very close). Jessica was with me and went off to get some water for it. While she was gone, a CPD pulled off of Sawmill, reversed to where I was, and not only asked if I needed help or a ride but also laid out road flares behind me. I was impressed with how nice he was and didn't give me shit for anything about the car. I was able to get it down to 180* and nurse it home, which it sits fine under vacuum temperature-wise.

It gets the teardown and I'll be replacing these 6.0L graphite gaskets with 5.7L MLS ones. I'm guessing a month downtime due to my schedule. Kinda sucks, it was to be dynoed tomorrow and trailered to Indy next weekend for final tuning with a follow-up at the track a week after. It's gonna have to wait. I'm just thankful I had people to help me when it happened and that initially it seems I only popped the gasket (otherwise it runs and drives fine).

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet now as well and take the time to introduce a heavy duty radiator as well to help with extra cooling.

What a day :nono:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I told you earlier, stock GM gaskets suck for boost. I wish I would have known that people recommended those to you.

BEFORE YOU PUT THE MLS ON you need to talk to me. I have a lot of experience with MLS gaskets and there are some tricks you should be aware of.

What a good car show, just about everyone I knew there got a trophy, WTG guys!

MLS gaskets work good for boost, there are many people that run them and don't have issues, ever hear of Ohio Boys Racing, they run over 20lb boost with MLS gaskets.

I've heard that some people spray the gaskets with something to help it seal better.

Get GM MLS gaskets and call it a day....

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss/Misc/Roby%201.jpg

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss/Misc/Roby%202.jpg

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss/Misc/Roby%203.jpg

Anthony that really sucks. I am ready to see what that thing can do. I cannot imagine how much you want to get it going!

It was a nice show - nice pix Bill as always. Nice burnout(s) too. I learned that 315s out back will not cure traction problems on the ramp to 33!

Well, John (RUTAN TA) is being nice and donating me some new MLS gaskets since he's going another roate with his car, and Chris pointed me in the right direction for their installation. The sealer for them is copper based.

This oughta be a weekend job if we go from start to finish with minimal bullshitting, plus everything only has about 600 miles since the install a few months ago. I've already gotten a few calls for people volunteering, so it's much appreciated. Word travels fast :D

Damn man, shoulda called, Im just a throw off of sawmill and 270. I woulda brought some water down to ya.

+2, 2 lights away...Glad to hear the car is fast, hope ya get it running soon.

I forsee a 7mm 8mm 10mm 12mm 15mm sockets in my future :):( dont worry we will get it done....atleast you got a trophy right?

yes Andy did a damn good job btw andy peanut butter came off harder then i thought LOL but got most of the compound off

Whats the peanut butter trick? I remember hearing about it previously and forgot what it was good for.

You know what, shit happens. I didn't built a fast car with the false realization that it's impervious to breakage and cheap to repair.

I know the faster you go/more power you make, the more likely shit is to break. That's life. It looks good, it's still drivable (just no boost), and it's paid off. I love my car, and although it can be a big PITA, it's still fun to play with.

We move on. But this setback means the cage has to wait that much longer :grin2:

I wish I would have known that people recommended those to you.

Some people see stock gaskets as relief valves. Anything goes wrong, they pop. The deck is most likely OK, just a simple swap, and you are on the road again. The bottom end is in tact and you can evaluate and narrow down what caused it and hopefully fix it.

With MLS they can seal a bit toooo good, and in the event of some trouble, major damage can result.

Just something to consider with those factory pistons in there. :)