What does a separator do?

Mowgli1647545497

I've got this canister below my gas tank (94 zx11) that the Haynes manual says is the Separator. It has tubes running to/from it - two to the tank one out downcircuit (haven't traced it).

I think when I was putting everything back together yesterday I got two of the tank tubes switched. When riding today I started getting a bunch of gas overflow out the top of the tank filler cap. Swapped the tubes and that seemed to stop it. So obviously the thing uses, runs off of, or causes tank pressurization.

So as I sit here in my office reeking of gasoline from my crotch, I got to wondering about it. But I can't find in the manual or online what its for. And I don't like not knowing what something is for.

What does this thing do?

Also, can anyone recommend someone in town that does good brake work on Kawas? I beleive I have a warped rear disk I need to replace (just got done bleeding the lines and I have a pulse in the rear). I was just going to take it over to the place on Morse.

thx in advance

after a bit more searching i found that its apparently part of the "fuel evaporative system" on your bike.

from Virgina Department of Air Quality:

About 20% of hydrocarbon emissions emitted by a vehicle can be caused by the evaporation of fuel. The fuel evaporative system is designed to hold the hydrocarbon vapors and introduce them into the engine to be burned. A vapor line running from the fuel tank and carburetor (if equipped) transports fuel vapors to an evaporative canister (or charcoal canister). The hydrocarbon molecules attach themselves to the charcoal contained in the canister. When the engine is started (or shortly thereafter), the vapors are drawn from the canister and pulled into the engine to be burned along with the air/fuel mixture. Gas caps are also part of the fuel evaporative system. They prevent pressurized vapors from exiting the fuel tank through the filler neck. The gas cap pressure test is used to verify the condition of the gas cap.

Some related parts of a fuel evaporative system can include, but are not limited to: a charcoal canister, vapor hose, purge hose, purge solenoid, gas cap, and vapor-liquid separator.

the separator is a vapor/liquid separator, and is there to make sure that you get only vapors and no liquid into your vent lines.