What Clutch For 5.0 Mustang?

Wease

OK, I really hate the clutch in my '86. It's been in there since I've had the car (just over two years). Although I don't remember what the clutch was like in my first '86 (owned it back in 1995), I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bad. The clutch has ALWAYS been VERY hard to push in. It's really stiff. So much, that I can't stand to drive it in stop and go traffic. I have no idea what clutch is in this car, but I hate it.

There is also the issue of the cable. I have a UPR firewall adjuster, but lately, I keep having to readjust the darn thing. The cable loosens up and the clutch pedal gets loose enough that it won't fully engage. I know what I need to do there, I need to mark the nut to see if it's moving, or maybe something's up with the cable. Anyone had their cable do something like this before?

So I figure why not put in a new cable and clutch. Something MUCH lighter. This is a minor bolt-on car, and pretty much will always be. Nor do I take it to the track very often, so I'm really looking to go cheap and easy here.

Anyone have any recommendations on the cable/adjuster problem and what clutch I should buy? :confused:

just get a King Cobra. cheaper than a spec. and would work fine for minor bolt on car.

do you have and adjustible clutch cable or are you using the factor ford cable, somehow.

Yeah, I was wondering about the King Cobra as well.

I'm not sure what cable I have, to be honest with you. I've read that the adjustable cables aren't that great, as they can get stretched out too easily. Is that true? :confused:

Before you pull that clutch make sure you have the cable routed properly and it sounds like you are having cable stretch.... If you have a nut on hte end it an adjustable cable and they are prone to stretching- stick with ford cables.....

I had a Ford Racing Heavy Duty clutch with an aftermarket adj. cable and that pedal was unbearable- switched to a king cobra with the same cable and while it was better it wasn't THAT much better...

Got the full maximum motorsports kit and while it still isnt an EASY pedal it is bearable and MUCH BETTER. Night and day....

I would call it moderate to light...

I got with the kit, firewall adjuster, aluminum quadrant, and a ford factory cable that is longer so it is less likely to bind - it may be an SN95 cable I forget... regardless the longer cable alone with your setup is probably enough... the car is a daily driver and unless I am really tired and stuck in traffic for a long time I hardly notice the pedal effort...

Make sure that you are not trying to route that cable between the motormount and the crossmember- common problem... search on the corral for proper routing...

Good luck

sean, king cobra clutches are the biggest pieces of shit first of all. spec stage 3 is way tooooo much clutch for that car, that is what I had in my blue car sprayin the crap outta it and you don't want to daily drive that in columbus. I would get a $100 autozone lifetime warranty clutch. unless you plan on putting aftermarket heads and such on your car. get at me sometime man

+1 for the spec stage 3 being way to much.. pedal is pretty heavy on a mustang.

stage 2 might be nice, but toss the throwout bearing that comes wiht it.. they will chatter. buy one from somehwere else.

also +1 wiht getting a billet quadrant.

the stock plastic quadrant is junk. the teeth onthem shear off after time.

you cna get the BBK adjustable cable, firewall adjuster, and aluminum quadrant for $100 at jegs.

and like fowler said. the autozone clutches actually hold up pretty well. thats what was in my 88lx when i first got it and it held a 150 shot on it and power shifting beating this piss out of it down the track.

cheap and lifetime warranty.

Guest powers

for anyone who thinks a spec stage 3 has a heavy pedal come by the shop and see what one feels like that is set up properly. It is a ligther feel than than a stock 03 or king cobra.

At the same time I didn't realize the car only made 220 wheel. If that is the case there is no need to use what I sugeested. I just find it funny to hear people say OH gawd a stage 3 has a heavy pedal and cannot be used on a daily/street car. We have put that clutch in about 6 mustangs in the past 5 months all with the same results easy pedal.

and like fowler said. the autozone clutches actually hold up pretty well. thats what was in my 88lx when i first got it and it held a 150 shot on it and power shifting beating this piss out of it down the track.

cheap and lifetime warranty.

Yeah, that might be my best bet right there. It goes to the track maybe once a year (if that, and I haven't done shit to it in over a year), and only makes 200 RWHP / 270 RWTQ. So that clutch should be fine for what I want to use it for.

FYI, I have a good quadrant on it now, a UPR that Fowler suggested. I've got it and the adjustable firewall nut. I think honestly I need a new cable and clutch to help with the pedal effort... :nod:

for anyone who thinks a spec stage 3 has a heavy pedal come by the shop and see what one feels like that is set up properly. It is a ligther feel than than a stock 03 or king cobra.

At the same time I didn't realize the car only made 220 wheel. If that is the case there is no need to use what I sugeested. I just find it funny to hear people say OH gawd a stage 3 has a heavy pedal and cannot be used on a daily/street car. We have put that clutch in about 6 mustangs in the past 5 months all with the same results easy pedal.

i have driven numerous cars that have had spec stage 3 clutches.. and were set up properly.

in a mustang atleast the pedal was heavy, and its not good for daily driving. its a tight grab you really you have no slipping at all. no one wants that bite in heavy stop and go traffic.

it may be different on other vehicles but for the number of mustangs i have driven with a spec stg 3 they were all the same.

Guest powers
i have driven numerous cars that have had spec stage 3 clutches.. and were set up properly.

in a mustang atleast the pedal was heavy, and its not good for daily driving. its a tight grab you really you have no slipping at all. no one wants that bite in heavy stop and go traffic.

it may be different on other vehicles but for the number of mustangs i have driven with a spec stg 3 they were all the same.

well i can only tell you how it acutally is since I own a spec 3 in a mustang and drive it all the time. I drive every mustang we do after a clutch job to adjust it out.

Kind of like when I drove a stock 03 few days ago, and got right in my car afterwards. I would think that is as good of a comparison as I can do.

If you are comparing your v6 mustang to a spec I bet it would feel harsh. We also have many 3000gt's here that have heavier pedal feel from their stock clutches than a mustang does with a stage 3.

not talking about my v6

talking aobut andys 98 cobra

fowlers 5.0

and a few more that where done at henslers when i worked there.

vs. a few 5.0s that i have owned myself along wiht my 98 gt

i know the difference

i jumped in mine to fowlers wiht the spec stage 3

its a huge difference.

but whatever this is pointless drivvle anyway.

Guest powers
I tell you what, I just called Autozone and their lifetime warranty clutch is only $123.99. For as much track and hard use as this car sees, that's probably my best bet... :nod:

sounds like a good deal.

I tell you what, I just called Autozone and their lifetime warranty clutch is only $123.99. For as much track and hard use as this car sees, that's probably my best bet... :nod:

good deal man,

and for the spec 3, great clutch, but I would never have one in my daily driver ever again living in columbus with traffic. pedal pressure, seems the same in everyone.

as for the king cobra clutch, you basically pay more money for a stock clutch. I've had 3 of them fail on me in less than 3 months of normal driving and " breaking them in".

Another question guys: Should I resurface the flywheel before doing my install? I always did when I had my Formula, but I read on Corral that most people don't even bother and have had no issues. Thoughts? :confused:

Well, this past Friday I took the day off, took advantage of the not-so-hot-and-humid weather, and did the clutch on my '86 GT. Bought that Autozone clutch, and got it all in. MAJOR improvement in pedal effort and clutch engagement. :D I'm so glad I did this. Thanks to all who gave me advice, I really enjoy driving my "classic" Fox Body again... ;)