OSU game: Televised?

The Pikey

I'm sure some of you know the game will be on some gay ESPN channel only (the last time I checked) You have to subscribe to it.

My question is: What will all the tailgaters do to watch the game? Not everyone has a pimp RV with a satellite dish. even though I understand business is business, I'm amazed that someone can monopolize the coverage like this.

Maybe what I think I heard is not completely true, so if you can clarify better...thanks.

Scott

Peace

The game is on ESPN U and I know I have it, Insight with the sports package, but most don't. Not sure if Time Warner offers it or not.

As far as tailgating, I guess you just crowd around someone with a dish. We normally do for GameDay in the mornings anyway. They don't seem to mind if you don't get too rowdy.

Diana

What exactly does that involve?

Someone hooks up a computer to your cable jack. They then broadcast the game over the internet via DSL or cable broadband to a static IP. Then you use QuickTime or another streaming video player to watch the game.

Isn't OSU a state funded school? Who is getting the revenue from the ESPN Only broadcast? I am pretty sure they are on thin ground here, if the state funds the athletes, the citizens should have a right to view the game in some way.

Isn't OSU a state funded school? Who is getting the revenue from the ESPN Only broadcast? I am pretty sure they are on thin ground here, if the state funds the athletes, the citizens should have a right to view the game in some way.

This is a Big 10 / BCS thing. ESPN has the contract. They can choose to air the games on whatever channels they feel like. We all know ESPN hates OSU.

Do you guys want the real scoop on it?? We had a long talk about it at work today.

ESPN U is a specialized ESPN channel that mostly play obscure sports most folks don't watch (women's softball, Lacross, etc.). Basically, they went to the BIG 10, said "we want to have this one OSU game on ESPN U"

Big 10 goes, ok, it's going to be $xxx dollars. Then they said "we don't want it to be broadcast on any local network either." At that, Big 10 says "ok, even MORE money." From what I gathered, ESPN had to pay quite a fortune to do this.

This is a strong arm tatic by ESPN. Very few cable providers in the nation offer this ESPN U channel, as it is expensive. ESPN does not want their channel on a premium service, such as a sports package or digital package; they want it on basic cable. By doing stuff like this, it's an attempt to force cable providers to offer their channel. But the end result is that the cost of this channel would FORCE a cable company to charge more for whatever package they put it on. And for what, the one game a year they purchase?? Basically, if put on a digital or premium service, they would charge EVEN more than what they want for it put on a basic cable service.

There are still ongoing negoations w/ WBNS to carry the game locally, and though unlikely, there is still a small chance of it. If that does happen, I'll be one of the first to know, and will post up that info. It is also looking like the Big 10 may take some flack over this deal, and rightfully so.

Neither WOW nor Warner offer it, and Insight only on their special sports package (and are probably paying a pretty penny for it, that cost going to the subscriber). And I doubt WOW or Warner will ever offer it, simply because they don't carry any programming worth the price hike.

Do you guys want the real scoop on it?? We had a long talk about it at work today.

ESPN U is a specialized ESPN channel that mostly play obscure sports most folks don't watch (women's softball, Lacross, etc.). Basically, they went to the BIG 10, said "we want to have this one OSU game on ESPN U"

Big 10 goes, ok, it's going to be $xxx dollars. Then they said "we don't want it to be broadcast on any local network either." At that, Big 10 says "ok, even MORE money." From what I gathered, ESPN had to pay quite a fortune to do this.

This is a strong arm tatic by ESPN. Very few cable providers in the nation offer this ESPN U channel, as it is expensive. ESPN does not want their channel on a premium service, such as a sports package or digital package; they want it on basic cable. By doing stuff like this, it's an attempt to force cable providers to offer their channel. But the end result is that the cost of this channel would FORCE a cable company to charge more for whatever package they put it on. And for what, the one game a year they purchase?? Basically, if put on a digital or premium service, they would charge EVEN more than what they want for it put on a basic cable service.

There are still ongoing negoations w/ WBNS to carry the game locally, and though unlikely, there is still a small chance of it. If that does happen, I'll be one of the first to know, and will post up that info. It is also looking like the Big 10 may take some flack over this deal, and rightfully so.

Neither WOW nor Warner offer it, and Insight only on their special sports package (and are probably paying a pretty penny for it, that cost going to the subscriber). And I doubt WOW or Warner will ever offer it, simply because they don't carry any programming worth the price hike.

Thanks for the explanation Joe. You have any idea how long this was in the works? It seems like very short notice for fans to even do anything about it, except force some people to subscribe at the last minute...which could have been the idea all along, give people a desperate choice.