Kia Optima?

Cougar1647545494

This may end up in the Kitchen, but screw it.

I've had this as a rental now since Monday since my car was rear ended and in the shop at the moment. All I can say is this is the biggest piece of trash I've EVER driven. It's an 05 w/ 33k and the thing feels like it's trying to go into warp speed everytime I hit the freeway. How could anyone possibly pay money for these things? If you drive one and are offended, that's not my intention. I'm just curious as to what exactly sells these cars. The gas mileage is horrible, accelearation sucks, the ride is harsh and noisy, the handling sucks, the stereo blows, and it definitely doesn't have looks going for it.

On it's defense. The only cool thing I can say about it is the parking garage ticket holder. It has a little slot in the visor to hold the ticket so you don't lose it and end up paying full price. Yea... I want my damn car back.

On it's defense. The only cool thing I can say about it is the parking garage ticket holder. It has a little slot in the visor to hold the ticket so you don't lose it and end up paying full price. Yea... I want my damn car back.

ha...i had one of those i bought for my elantra...was like 10$. it is nice to keep misc cards in it.

A few years ago, when the company was getting off the ground (in korea), they had to sub-let the wiring harness manufacturing to a thrid party. For six months or so of production (around 2000 i guess) the wire insulation color in the car didn't even come close to matching the factory ETMs. Needless to say, diagnosing a electrical issue was almost impossibe.

Kia and hyundai = pot metal trash , junk, crap, basically pieces of fucking shit.

Not true anymore. My wife and I just traded our 04 Honda Odyssey in for an 06 Kia Sedona and couldn't be happier. More options, stronger engine and better warranty for less money. I probably wouldn't purchase any other of Kia's vehicles but the Sedonea. I would purchase of few of Hyundai's vehicles if I had to. The 2007 Entourage (Sedona's brother), Azera, Sante Fe and the Sonata are all pretty nice vehicles. I probably wouldn't purchase any older than 2 years old though.

Guest 614Streets
Actually the new Hyundai's are pretty nice.

Everything is pretty nice when its new , Hyundai and KIA build with very poor quality metals , bearings, etc. You get what you pay for.

Hey 614 Streets!!!!!!!!!!! Easy there!! I can't defend the Kia line, however Kia & Hyundai are NOT built the same. I know because I sell them. 15 years ago if someone would've said to me you'll have a Hyundai in your garage someday - I'd have said bullshit! However the Hyundai line has come A LONG WAY. J.D. Powers just rated Hyundai #1 & thats a strong statement. We bought an Azera 5 months ago & my wife absolutely loves it. Its only got 7,400 miles on the clock & so far it rides smooth, has loads of torque & power, great gas mileage etc. We paid thousands less than we would've paid for its competition ie Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

Guest 614Streets
Come on there is no denying the cheap materials used in Hyundai or KIA automobiles. I know that the New hyundais are rated well by associations but thoose ratings are only new car ratings. When these cars get 3-5 years of time on them they show theyre weakness. To say that Hyundai car manufacturer has now come even with the competition like honda or toyota isnt saying much. The company is hardly doing anything revolutionary, its just moving similar quality cars to its competition at a lower price. Longevity and metal quality used are not improved. 10 year warranty, its a gerneral rule of thumb after 10 years "all" cars fall apart consecutively , however thin metal suspension parts using inferior parts , very rust susceptable metals make that ten year rule of thumb a bigger reality with cars like Hyundai and KIA.

So a thread about an actual brand of cars can't be posted in the passing lane but a thread about you clearing your pm's can? I didn't see anyone complain about that.

They should have. I didn't post it.

People have decided that CR should be more of a local gathering place rather than a racing site or not just performance automotive, but anything automotive.

I personally don't care for all the small talk threads. People often come on here to rant thinking that others care when in fact most people don't. Some like to get on here and post EVERY little thing about their lives, which is fine but it does nothing for me personally. I know I can click the big red X in the upper right hand corner, and I often times do.

I am not the first one to say that the quality of the members has gone down in recent years here on CR. People were just saying where have alot of the founding members are now gone. Well it is lame inconsequential threads that keep them from being interested in what is posted here.

There may be many people here who do not agree with me and that is fine, I understand that. I was just noting that no one cares about his crappy Kia rental car.

If you like Kias you already liked them and you are going to say you did. If you say hey these are huge pieces of shit, you are not surprising anyone. If you want to get the attention of someone who cares about Kias, go to a Kia forum and say hey these things are huges pieces of fucking shit, and that thread MIGHT deliver.

Just my view point.

Oh and for future reference things like +1, spotted, and my friend threads/posts suck.

People have decided that CR should be more of a local gathering place rather than a racing site or not just performance automotive, but anything automotive.

The Passing Lane description: This is the automotive-related Common Area. This area covers all automotive related topics, anything from that car you saw on the road to the concept car you read about.

I do agree with you about the +1, spotted, and my friend threads/posts suck.

ok...im gonna jump in here because i did own a hyundai elantra for 3 years

for the first year and a half, i delivered pizza in it. 100% city driving. hardest driving you can have on a car. in/around may 05, i got an office job. from nov 03-may 05, i put 55k miles on it. i changed the oil regularly (3500 miles), and kept up on any routine maintenence...i think i changed the plugs at 60k, and did the timing belt...still looked fine, but was reccomended. thats it.

in the 3 years i had the car, i had ONE single problem that i did not directly cause...it turned out to be a clutch interlock switch, wouldnt allow the car to start...i took it in, got a rental, it was fixed in 2 hours

now i had problems that i actually did cause. i beat the shit out of the car. ill be honest. i would regularly take it to redline, power shift, roast the tires...i went through 3 clutches...i knew it would happen...cant blame the manufacturer for my driving. the transmission held strong for 3 years of abuse. i never had any odd transmission sounds, grinding of gears, nothing

in july 06, a buddy of mine and me were installing an adjustable cam sprocket. we jumped a few teeth on the belt, in turn bending some valves. my fault completely

now as for repairs...i would much rather have something happen on that car, then my current 95 integra gsr. when i blew the engine in my elantra, i got an engine with 26k miles for 370$ shipped to LKQ in blacklick. i had it installed for 300$ by Rutan TA. know how much it would cost me to get a similar mileage engine for the integra (if you could find one w/ 26k miles)? close to 4000-5000. a new distributor (as quoted from a buddy of mine at an acura dealership in indiana) "Well, it runs $383.87 retail. I can swing $325.55. that's the whole distributor base without ignitor and coil or cap and rotor" figure a few more dollars in for the rest of the parts

the cars are built well. the azera has won many jd power awards, as has the sonata, tuscon, and im pretty sure the xd2 (04-06 elantras) have as well. hyundai has come along way from the old excels and s-coupes...i would not hesitate one second to buy another one. these cars are now competing with honda/toyota, and are doing quite well...thats how far they have come along

Hey 614 Streets!!!!!!!!!!! Easy there!! I can't defend the Kia line, however Kia & Hyundai are NOT built the same. I know because I sell them.

actually, a lot of the parts are interchangeable, as they are produced by the same companies. i know for a fact that my throttle body, and oil pan are both stamped KIA and HYUNDAI. i have also seen Hyundai stamped on my dads sorrento. the new kia spectra is built on the same platform as the hyundai elantras, and actually share the same beta2 engines...they swap aftermarket parts all day long

i think the reason a lot of people here are trashing them is because this is a race oriented board...these are not race cars...these are family sedans, good on gas mileage and will haul people around comfortably. these arent made to go fast by any means. i could understand if you went to get the rental and they said 'heres the new race inspired kia optima...bye', but they didnt. im sure you would have this same thread had they given you a stock chevy cobalt or even an aveo

I with Evan, my wife has drives a 03 Elantra GT 5-door. We have just over 60K on the car and have only had it in the shop once for non maintenance things. The car is strong and is a great daily driver. Definitly not a "race" car, but it works as a great DD.

And everyone knows rental cars are beat to hell. Everyone beats the crap out of them when they have them. Like I am sure you have done. Comparing a rental car to what the normal driven car with the same mileage is not a good compairson.

qKia and Hyundai are building good, reliable cars for the cheap. Good gas milage, usually that entails having no power. Most japanese makers have made good progress in providing both power and mpg. Detroit hit the nail on the head with displacement on demand, whatever it may be called. Give the power of an 8, the milage of a 4. Great idea. Also, their stuff is looking better and better each year, ie, the Optima and the Tiburon GT.