what to do...

Guest 5.7

Well.. my Z is at IPS at the moment for the rearend, gears were pretty much destroyed, because they were not installed right, which I thought I had just been the one to cause it.. so theres problem 1.. problem 2 is the tranny,, grinding into 3rd, 5th and 6th.. and then popping out of 3rd.. problem 3 SES light has been on since saturday and I haven't had a chance to check out why and then the car doesn't start, but it may be something simple.. Greg can chime in a tell you how the car is condition wise.. but is it worth going through repair or should i make the dealer take the thing back?? he seems be telling me the tranny was fine when they drove it and the car seemed to drive fine off the lot.. and then I beat it to hell and its where it at now.. he couldn't explain to me why the tranny wasn't taken care of before i bought it.. when i had ask and talked about it many of times..

edit: I know now that my stupidness shouldn't have bought it..

You sold a Cobra for that?

Yes and no. The car payment were eating me up and insruance as well. Plus I'm moving back to Columbus and I didn't want to break my back trying to keep up on payments and yadda yadda. I paid 7K for the car out the door, I was able to make some cash off the Cobra which helped me out financially pay some other stuff off.

Its in the 60000 miles wise, and from the looks of the engine its stock so it should be cool to mod. Just get the rear and the tranny fixed and youll be cool for a while. I would make sure that they at least fix the tranny. Like nitrousbird said you can fix that rear for a few hundred.

I'm kinda in the same boat w/ my TA. Bought it from a private seller. The tranny is messed up almost exactly like yours, with just over 60K on the car as well. I noticed the problem on the drive home from Tenn. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to upgrade the trans internals. Check out T56rebuilds.com. You can buy the upgraded parts and have someone rebuild the trans with those parts. If you plan on modding the car, it would be a wise thing to do, imo.

No.. because my bank and the dealer settled on a price, cause my bank would not give them what they were asking.. because I told them about the tranny and the bank different feel as if its worth what they were asking with such problems.. and nor does the car have tint..

So.. The dealer is fucking rude as hell.. He told me not to bring it there without it running.. and then he told me that he couldn't get it in for another 2 -3 weeks, because he has two other trannies that need done.. makes me feel good about buying my car there.. and the car can only get worse and i told him what am I suppose to do and he's like drive it really careful and easy.. and then I asked if they were covering the tranny and he said we'll see and make sure it something that I had not caused.. this place is a fucking joke..

honestly though, for every innocent buyer that gets screwed over like yourself, they probably deal with a dozen yahoos that do nothing but 5k clutch drops and donuts for 2 weeks straight and come back to the dealer complaining of a weak tranny. as much as it sucks he's jerking you around, its more the fault of shitty drivers than bad business practice.

and the thing that REALLY got me was when he told me to try to jump the car, but in GREAT DETAIL as to HOW to do it.. and I mean step by step.. like I'm some reject.. and it was my fault the car wasn't running because it ran perfect off the lot..

I hate dealers like that! Stand behind your freakin product. If you sell a car with a warranty then repair it. They are always nice until you give them your money then they act like they dont care. I guess thats why I go to Dan Tobin. I have already got 3 cars from them, the service department will put my car up without an appointment, and they let me test drive whatever I want. As a matter of fact I'm going to see if they will let me overnight a GTO so I have something fast to drive this weekend. What ever happened to service like that????????

The rear end had a set of Richmond 4.10 gears in it. The Richmond gears often interfere with the paddle being reinstalled. So rather than correcting the problem with the slp split paddle they just pounded the paddle past the ring gear. I am sure this cracked or mushroomed out the ring as something has to give in that situation. The proceeding 12-15 teeth after that spot are all missing teeth.

So a Motive ring gear that ACTUALLY fits is being installed.

As far as anything else goes I will be looking at that as soon as we get the car rollable. The rear end was so locked up it didn't want to move at all being pushed on that lift. :(

I would say since you got it at such a good price you should just keep it and upgrade. Like stated earlier, the avg. price for a car like that is around $12k. So you saved $5k. Just take this opportunity to build the tranny you want for the pwoer level you are wanting to see, so you won't have to do it later. Good luck!

Eric

i guess when you get them that cheap you a paying for what it is... broke. as i thought i found a deal and after i ask some questions the guy doesnt call anymore so im guessing its broke. but after it is fixed it will be pretty sweet just frustrating getting there. good luck and cant wait to see it all fixed up.