First time going to a chiropractor, should I be worried?

Nitrousbird

For the past month or so, whenever I sleep more than 4 hours, my upper back is killing me. Feels like someone is stabbing it with a knife. After I'm up for an hour or so, it doesn't hurt at all, and doesn't for the rest of the day.

Happens sleeping in my bed, my g/f's bed, my couch, and even my parent's couch the one night I slept on it.

It's gotten to the point I can't get as much sleep as I need some nights, so I figured it is time to get checked out. I made an appointment for this Monday.

Anything I should know before I go? Anything to watch out for? Cautions, concerns, etc.? My dad had some back problems, went to one, and did wonders for him, so I'm optimistic. I've also had neck pain for years, but have just kind of toughed through it, but I think I'll have that checked out as well. I'm not one to go to a doctor for some aches and pains, but I'd like to be able to get a full night's sleep and not wake up in pain!

What's a "real doctor" going to be able to do for me? I don't want pain meds, nor in this case would they be useful. They can give me stretches to do, but I know a chiropractor will as well (gave my dad a bunch of stretches and exercises to do with his back issues). But what else can they going to do for me?? I obviously wouldn't want surgery for something like this, I doubt it is some major back issue (as it would hurt more than when I sleep).

Joe,

My father is actually an expert in this type of field, back pain that is. I told him about your situation and he explained to me that it could have a lot to do with a build up of tension in the lower body area. He said the best thing you can do this to lay on your back for 30min to an hour a day and have your significant other perform oral sex. The more times a day the better it will be. Kind of weird I know, but he showed me all kinds of proof.

Good luck.

(Show this to your girlfriend. But not this part. Your welcome.)

If you chiro takes x-rays, and really looks at them, and can show you what is actually going on in your back, or what is causing the pain, you have probably found a decent one. If they start out with stories about how a back adjustment has solved almost any ailment that thier patients has had, run away.

Dr Rick can probably elaborate more on this topic.

Joe, go to a real doctor. Just IMHO. :)

+1. I think a chiropractor is more for temporary relief, where you will have to go back to him on a regular basis, = more $$$. And I don't think they are covered by insurance, not sure on that one. If you go to the Dr. they will probably take an X-ray and go from there. Probably start you off doing therapy, doing streching and what not.

I have lower back problems and if I keep up and do my streches every few days it really doesn't bother me. I have never been given meds for it.

Well if your age posted on the site is correct your just getting old and out of shape. Deal with it:-)

Nah I have no idea really. I feel that doctors prescribe meds for $$$, chiropractors pop things for $$$. Theres no difference really. You could probably go to a foot doctor that will tell you you need certain shoes that costs $$$ and he'll fix you right up. Damn I'm paranoid maybe I should see someone about that.

Evan

Joe, go to a real doctor. Just IMHO. :)

120K in school loans....5 national board test....2 compboard test...1 state board test....more school hours than MD's

your right chiropractors are not real Docs

:nono:

Joe, my chiropractor is close to where you live... he's great and will look into any problems you have... he went and go xrays and MRI's done on my back when my normal dr wouldn't... come to find out I had 2 ruptured disks in my lower back... if you want his info, let me know.

Your getting old and out of shape. I use to have back problems, my doctor told me to lose some weight and exercise. I was never really overweight, but I did lose 10-15 pounds and have been on a regular exercise program for the last 5 years and my back is fine.

So I went today:

Did my initial exam; doctor noticed that my legs were slightly different lengths (hmmm, no one has ever noticed that before, and I don't limp or anything). He said it could be either different length bones, or a muscle actually pulling the leg up, making it "shorter." He said he wouldn't know until he went over the X-rays.

Overall, I was noted as being stiff all over my back (g/f giving me massages has noted the same thing), and that I'm more stiff in the middle and upper back.

They did a number of tests, and did narrow down my neck pain, and pain in general, to more of my right side, which I didn't really notice until I did some of the tests they had me do.

The adjustment was alright. Surprising how much cracking happens. My back feels like it has been worked over a little bit. My neck felt a lot better after the adjustment, but is now a bit sore, but feels more like muscle soreness, and I'm guessing that is from the electric shock (or whatever you call it) thearpy that contracts those muscles over and over.

Now that I've done it, it isn't so scary. Everyone was very friendly and professional, and seem interested in making things better for me. I'm curious as to what I'll find out on the X-rays on Wed.

I think you made a good decision to go see a chiropractor. I have worked for one for almost 4 years and i see everyday how much they can help people. I found out about chiropratic bc i was in a really bad car accident and it was the only thing that actually helped me 100%. Hope you feel better soon. :)

that doctor scott gillis sounds familiar. Did he used to practice in whitehall area?

He was in Whitehall... I have known him for many years. He is the one that got me into chiropractic. I owe alot to him, for where I am at today!

So I went today:

Did my initial exam; doctor noticed that my legs were slightly different lengths (hmmm, no one has ever noticed that before, and I don't limp or anything). He said it could be either different length bones, or a muscle actually pulling the leg up, making it "shorter." He said he wouldn't know until he went over the X-rays.

Overall, I was noted as being stiff all over my back (g/f giving me massages has noted the same thing), and that I'm more stiff in the middle and upper back.

They did a number of tests, and did narrow down my neck pain, and pain in general, to more of my right side, which I didn't really notice until I did some of the tests they had me do.

The adjustment was alright. Surprising how much cracking happens. My back feels like it has been worked over a little bit. My neck felt a lot better after the adjustment, but is now a bit sore, but feels more like muscle soreness, and I'm guessing that is from the electric shock (or whatever you call it) thearpy that contracts those muscles over and over.

Now that I've done it, it isn't so scary. Everyone was very friendly and professional, and seem interested in making things better for me. I'm curious as to what I'll find out on the X-rays on Wed.

BTW.... Who did you go to?

My Chiropractic place is Reynoldsburg Chiropractic Center. The only Dr. I've seen so far is Dr. John Kohl, but I'll be seeing Dr. Evans on Friday, whom I haven't met yet.

I got my X-ray results back; my back looks good. My neck doesn't have much curve to it = not good. My hips are twisted a bit, likely due to a pulled muscle I've had for a couple months around there that is still healing (which is also the cause of one leg looking slightly shorter; X-rays revealed the bone length is equal).

I'm recommend to go 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks, and 2 times a week for the 2 weeks after that. Luckily, my insurance covers 100% unlimited use w/ no deductable, so I can't beat that (gotta love good health insurance). They went with more voltage on the muscle stimulator today, so it really worked me over. But my back hasn't hurt nearly as much the last two mornings when I wake up, so this has definitely done me some good already.

I did like how the doctor went over the X-rays with me step-by-step; it wasn't like the typical doctors I see who take a glance at them, telling me what they see, without ever showing or pointing things out to me. I was show example on the computer of what I should see, then my X-rays of what my bone structure actually looks like.

My Chiropractic place is Reynoldsburg Chiropractic Center. The only Dr. I've seen so far is Dr. John Kohl, but I'll be seeing Dr. Evans on Friday, whom I haven't met yet.

I got my X-ray results back; my back looks good. My neck doesn't have much curve to it = not good. My hips are twisted a bit, likely due to a pulled muscle I've had for a couple months around there that is still healing (which is also the cause of one leg looking slightly shorter; X-rays revealed the bone length is equal).

I'm recommend to go 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks, and 2 times a week for the 2 weeks after that. Luckily, my insurance covers 100% unlimited use w/ no deductable, so I can't beat that (gotta love good health insurance). They went with more voltage on the muscle stimulator today, so it really worked me over. But my back hasn't hurt nearly as much the last two mornings when I wake up, so this has definitely done me some good already.

I did like how the doctor went over the X-rays with me step-by-step; it wasn't like the typical doctors I see who take a glance at them, telling me what they see, without ever showing or pointing things out to me. I was show example on the computer of what I should see, then my X-rays of what my bone structure actually looks like.

Sound like a good plan to me... Take the neck curve issue serious, one thing i notice is that I don't see 80 year old patients with a straight neck (shorter life span) BTW... 100% coverage?... next time come to me :D

He was in Whitehall... I have known him for many years. He is the one that got me into chiropractic. I owe alot to him, for where I am at today!

You gotta love Scotty.

I know a few people that have been to him, and they had the same leg length problem. A leather looking spacer thing that they wear in their shoe has seemed to help a lot.