Anyone know much about Saturns?

Stampede

My mom bought a 95 SL1 new in late 94, and my Sister still has it with her in MS. The car aside from having to replace multiple sets of brake pads early on has been virtually indestructible. If you're looking for a Saturn, though I would recommend the 5 spd over the auto. The sohc cars only made about 98 horsepower, and it really needs the manual tranny to feel like it has any acceleration at all.

My brother had a 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed that was handed over to him from my parents. The Army shipped it over to Germany with him, and he racked up 190k miles on it (occasionally getting to over 120mph...I was there!) and the thing never had any major problems aside from a clutch replacement at 120k and normal wear and tear. It eventually started crankwalking and to ship a Saturn engine to Germany would have been $4500. He thankfully sold it and bought an Audi. It's still motoring around Heidelberg last time I spoke to him.(amazing with hardly any available parts to service it.)

The Saturn 5-speed uses a planetary gearset that makes it super stout. There is an off-road rig I saw on Xtreme 4x4 that uses a Saturn 5-speed and the guy that drives it said he's broken driveshafts and axles and the tranny held up really well. Plus, the 1.9L DOHC Motor has a very efficient head design.

I actually really liked the car (SL2 5-speed) because it is very lightweight, body panels don't rust, and the powertrain is actually very stout. Unfortunately, it's tough to find a low-mileage Saturn. If you get some J.D. Byrider piece of shit then it's going to break on you. If you're going to be a second owner, then you'll do just fine. Stay away from the SOHC engine (SL, SL1) and automatic transmission. Great little cars until 1999! (The new Ion is a piece of shit, BTW)

I used to sell them. Not bad vehicles. Make sure the timing chain is not knocking. They say "lifetime" when you sell them, but I've seen them needing replaced. Some head gasket issues, but the 1.9l is a solid motor.

I agree with the point made about post 1999 cars. Avoid them. The build quality went way down.

Rotarded: It's a guy that I work with, he bought it off his son, for rent. He said the dealer told his son it's the nut or valve body, but from my understanding, when it warms up no reverse. It has about 120,000 miles on it. If it that is problem whats the fix?

Thanks.

My company car is a 04 FWD Vue V6....nice 250hp Honda Motor. hauls butt for a mini SUV. Kept an 03-04 style Eclipse V6 by my side recently....poor bastard.

Anyway, my new ride is due in a few weeks....has $1,800 in new suspension, tires, brakes, etc.....I had it all worked up since I was considering buying it.

Has 55K on it and buyout is $9,990 or so. Leasing company will sell it to anyone so no worries. Wheels Inc. is who owns it. All Maint and everyting done like clockwork.

Overall, been a great car. Gotta love the Honda motor. She'll run forever I'm sure. Few minor GM squeaks inside, but no big deal.

Sorry to hi-jack...but again, she's been good.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/43142691/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/43368714/medium.jpg

I can definitely take a look at it. I'm a tech at Saturn in Hilliard.

It could be a number of different things. The first and most common would be the input shaft nut has backed off and basically just needs replace. Let me know and I could definitely pull it apart. Others would be the valve body, but I'd have to perform a pressure test on it

Most S-series get around 27MPG. Other problems are various things. You let me know and I can give the car a total look over and tell you basically everything that wrong with the vehicle. Headgaskets leaking oil, they hardly ever "give out" just spew a little oil. Then just other random problems that every car has. Motor mounts are common, intake gaskets causing misfires. Timing chain with 120k should probably be replaced soon with a kit due to the oil pump cover changes. I can make all repairs at discounted part and labor cost.

Verse: Can the valve body just be clean manually, and what are the effects of just driving it? And how much , just for the timing chain kit? For 500.00 bucks I can't complain to much, besides the interior needs a good cleaning.

Thanks.

Verse: Can the valve body just be clean manually, and what are the effects of just driving it? And how much , just for the timing chain kit, no labor? For 500.00 bucks I can't complain to much, besides the interior needs a good cleaning.

Thanks.

If it's a valve body there won't be any effects to start with, but eventually it could cause other problems. I don't believe you can just clean them b/c we have several bad laying around and if you could I'm sure some of the older guys here would be doing that sort of thing to save theirselves money. A timing chain kit retails for around $300. Only the OEM dealer kit has the different oil pump cover which has an oil feed hole for the timing chain. I can do a full install with the cost of the kit for around $400 +-20 or if you'd just want the kit I think it'd be around $240ish. I'd have to check with what model car it is.

Is this a SOHC or a DOHC? If you were reluctant to go with a chain kit, it'd almost be worth it in the long run to just put a new head gasket and possibily intake gasket on it as well, since in reality there isn't a whole lot more labor involved(if you know what you're doing). If you'd like to get something done I can definitely give you a deal and it'd take maybe 6-7 hours on a Saturday for me to throw it together. Or I could get you a good price on parts. Let me know.