Interview Questions-need advice

PonyPimpstress1647545491

I have interviewed dozens of people in the last seven years. Two questions I always ask are...

Can you tell me about yourself?

This open question allows the person enough rope to hang themselves. I have had people tell me they want to go back to school in six months, they are trying to get pregnant, just got out of rehab and are getting straight. I love that question!

Second I like to use is...

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I get to look at how long they plan to work for me, without asking directly.

Depending on the circumstances and gender of interviewer and interviewee....

What would you do for this job?

Well my best friend is a girl, and I believe she is interviewing with a woman as well. I'm not sure what she'd do. All I know is she would have summers off, so it might be for a school or something? I was looking for info that Dr. Rick provided. Any tips on answers? She's not tooo open about her personal life and since she has her masters I know she wants to settle down at a job in her field working with kids (which this job does). Thanks for the tips (it's been a while since i've had an interview where the person interviewing me doesn't know me).

Well my best friend is a girl, and I believe she is interviewing with a woman as well. I'm not sure what she'd do. All I know is she would have summers off, so it might be for a school or something? I was looking for info that Dr. Rick provided. Any tips on answers? She's not tooo open about her personal life and since she has her masters I know she wants to settle down at a job in her field working with kids (which this job does). Thanks for the tips (it's been a while since i've had an interview where the person interviewing me doesn't know me).

Well then I would recomend a short hait cut..maybe spike it...and cleavage.

I have been called a bigot twice on this forum... why not make it a third time. When she answers the question don't go on and mention if she has children of her on or not. Like it or not, women with children can be unreliable workers ( I can feel the heat so flame on). If the kids get sick Mom is usually the one that stays home with them.

My recommendation is to talk about hobbies or other outside interest. She should look around the room and notice anything about the interviewer that could be common ground. Try to build conversation and break down the uneasy wall that exist on both sides.

Just remember the interviewers know most of what is said is :bs:

I love when people talk me out of hiring them...

I was going to say something about personal questions (what she does in her spare time/for hobbies, whatever). Some interviewers love to talk about that, and others hate it and will never ask, but she has to be prepared to answer them.

What her dream job is. Note on this one. Just saying "This job that I'm interviewing for right now" is not a horrible answer but not a good answer. It doesn't tell the interviewer a whole lot, and they know you are probably lying, especially for your first job out of school. If her dream job is that job, I'm sure there are things that are not perfect about it, so divulge a little bit like "This job, but with x instead of y and a instead of b". If it is something different, don't let it be too different.

I once said ski bum to that question and got the job. Jokingly of course and we had already talked about my hobbies, just have to read the person. An example of my side note. My real answer to this one for that interview was hardware design engineer and I wasn't interviewing for that position, but it's one that would have made sense for me to move into in that company after some time in the position that I was interviewing for.

Both of those questions can be great ways to hang yourself in an interview, just like V8Killer was saying.

Why she thinks she will be good for this job/company, and why the job/company will be good for her. They may or may not ask either of these, but it's a good thing to think about anyways (especially if the person is looking at this as a career rather than a job).

If it is a job working with kids, ask her why she wants/likes to work with kids.

If it is a job at a school, ask her why she wants/likes to work at schools.

Why she wants to work for that specific school/district.

Tell her to give you more background on the job. The person that will actually interview her knows the in's and out's of the job. They will probably ask some of these general questions, then some specific ones. You can only ask her and prepare her for the very generic questions unless you know a little about the job.

Ask her if she had to make a house call and she saw a roach in the house, would it bother her? :p

Edit: added a few things

As crazy as it seems the doc is right. In positions where there are hundreds of people to pic up the slack its cool. However in a position where she may be one of a few that makes a huge difference.

I have had a couple of time where 3 employees were out because of their kids being sick. The problem was I only had three employees. :mad: Makes it hard to see 40-50 people in the office that day by yourself while trying to answer the phone too. :eek:

I have had a couple of time where 3 employees were out because of their kids being sick. The problem was I only had three employees. :mad: Makes it hard to see 40-50 people in the office that day by yourself while trying to answer the phone too. :eek:

Just because your kids sick is no excuse to stay home from work. My mom NEVER stayed home when i was sick. Then again she was a single parent and 5 kids.

Now Im not calling you a bigot after all it's your buisness no one's going to tell you how to run it but, would you really not hire someone because they had children?

Just because your kids sick is no excuse to stay home from work. My mom NEVER stayed home when i was sick. Then again she was a single parent and 5 kids.

Now Im not calling you a bigot after all it's your buisness no one's going to tell you how to run it but, would you really not hire someone because they had children?

It makes me think twice!! Right now I only have one lady that works for me, she does not have kids, but if she did then if her kids got sick she would stay home. If I have some one that wants a job, and they have kids I iron out the details about what happens with a sick child before hiring them. I REALLY sucks to be the only one running the office on a busy day.

Here are some questions she should be prepared to field:

-Why did you opt to pursue social work as a career?

-Are you independently licensed as a social worker? If not, why?

-What makes you want to work with *enter patient population here*?

-How comfortable are you with technology? What computer applications are you fluent with?

-How competent are you in expressing yourself in writting? (Hint: Suggest that she have some work samples that are appropriately sterilized so that no identifying data is available in them.)

-Tell me about a difficult situation you encountered with a patient (or co-worker) and how you handled it.

-What do you consider your best attributes as an employee?

-What kinds of things do you struggle with as an employee? Meaning, what kinds of things could you improve upon?

-Why do you want to work here?

Those that have responded with questions and thoughts have been a BIG help. Jesse, I'll tell her you mentioned the roach story... she'll appreciate that.

As for what Dr. Rick said... I totaly agree and I'm a woman. The mom generaly stays home. Alot of people look at it as a cost benefit. Can you afford to stay home, not get in trouble at work and still be on good terms with your boss?! If you work for a company where you are tight with your boss people tend to stay home bc they know their boss won't let them go. It's a catch 22. Damned if ya do, damed if ya dont!

p.s. Joe, pm sent back

Here are some questions she should be prepared to field:

That was a really good list. Kind of surprised because don't you normally 'interview' people for things other than jobs? :p

Jesse, I'll tell her you mentioned the roach story... she'll appreciate that.

I figured she would. Seriously, bringing up something like that could help break the ice between you and her during the 'mock' interview.