New Cleetus!!!

zeitgeist57

I bought a 1967 Jeep on a Sunday night for $1325 in fall of 05. It was a piece of shit, and I blew up the rear end within 500 miles. Sold it on eBay for $4300 in the springtime.

Timing is everything. I'm pretty damn excited to tweak it a bit to make it a decent, classic daily driver. Corvette's going in the garage! :)

I'm pretty damn excited about this truck. This will have been my third 81-87 Chevy fullsize pickup and for some reason I really, really like the model. Having such a low-mileage diesel is great.

After a few months, maybe a phantom grille, Rhino Liner in the bed, 20" factory take-offs from an escalade, who knows? :)

I just spoke to the guy...shipping will happen next week and take about 3 days to get to Naples! Eric, I've actually gotten an offer from a gentleman in Germany for $5k MORE than the purchase price. Scam or not, that's great ego-fodder. ;)

Dave, it's a 6.2l. I know Banks makes their Sidewinder single turbo kit for $2200 (Old Diesel!!!) but if you have a viable alternative for cheap I'm all ears. Life has been good to me and I plan on treating this truck right.

• 1 month later...

Welp...I picked up the truck last Monday and proceeded to rock it immediately as a daily driver. This thing is a monster, and it runs really well. The main shocker is that the tranny is a TH400, which to my stick-shift mind was a 4-speed. Laugh it up, fuckers. (For those not aware, the TH400 is actually a beefy 3-speed automatic). This thing literally roars down the road. From what dieselplace.com says, it's turning 3000 RPMs at 65-70mph. For a 6.2L diesel, it sounds like it's doing 9000rpms.

I just came back from Sebring last weekend, which was a fucking sick time in itself, but Cleetus did very well. Cruised 2.5hrs up and 2.5hrs back without a hitch, and revving the entire time. It's got two fuel tanks, and in over 230mi of driving last weekend I only used half of one tank. Fuel economy is just over 26mpg!!! Only thing I did before the trip was change the oil (Mobil Delvac 15w40 and a Wal-Mart filter) and air filter. Good stuff.

I am going to work on the cosmetics. Yes, it has no tailgate. I'm probably going to just put a rubber bed mat on it and a Pro-Net in the rear. I REALLY want to improve the final drive ratio (rear 14-bolt has a 4.10 gearset) by either a GearVendors overdrive kit ($$$$$$) or new wheels and tires ($$:) ). Here are pics below. Dave, thanks for the turbo idea but I will probably pass until I've racked a few more miles on her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/zeitgeist57/DSC01383.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/zeitgeist57/DSC01384.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/zeitgeist57/DSC01385.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/zeitgeist57/DSC01386.jpg

EDIT: The woman in the background is my sister-in-law's friend. We have 5 kids running around our place now on Spring Break. That's the trouble with living in Florida; everyone wants to come and visit! :)

Congrats on a great looking truck! If you take care of it, it'll be the last one you'll need to buy. Not sure if you're aware, the 4.10 rear was the standard for your truck when equipped with the diesel. 4.56 was optional! I'd definately go the Gear Vendors route for overdrive, especially for the over/under drive gear splitting capabilities. As for the tailgate, there are plenty of aftermarket suppliers out there to choose from.

I am going to work on the cosmetics. Yes, it has no tailgate. I'm probably going to just put a rubber bed mat on it and a Pro-Net in the rear.

You know according to Mythbusters, those net tailgates actually make your mpg worst. I know a lot of people say the complete opposit, they were even amazed.

No, they found having a normal tailgate increased mpg and drag. I won't get into the details here, but I admit, I was suprised, as well.

Edit: To clarify, I mean "no" to punkrocker not nitrousbird. Though, I think punkrocker meant to say it increased. ;)

So there are no more reading comprehension problems associated with this:

A quote from the Mythbusters transcripts:

"Driving with the tailgate down actually increased drag on the pick-up and caused it to consume fuel faster than the identical truck driven with the tailgate up. It was later revealed that the closed tailgate creates a locked vortex flow that created a smoother flow of air over the truck. With the tailgate down, the trapped vortex was dissipated and the drag increased."

Summary: A net would cause greater fuel consumption than a stock tailgate in the closed position.

Summary: A net would cause greater fuel consumption than a stock tailgate in the closed position.

What if there is NO tailgate? :D

I'm getting a net just because a good looking tailgate painted to match would be over $200. Blue net? $50-60 shipped.