Has your house been making weird noises?

Boost-n-Juice

Late last night it sounded like someone smacked the side of our house with a 4x4 piece if wood. Then a few minutes the same sound but not quite as loud. I inspected the house, inside and out...nothing! Then I noticed there was about 4' of snow on my roof, where the 2 roof lines meet. Hmmm. So I go up into the attic. No problems found.

Well today several people I told the story to claimed they had the same thing happen last night. As I'm driving thru the neighborhood on my way home one of my neighbors is standing in the road looking at his roof. I stopped and asked...and sure enough he heard the same sound last night and was concerned about his roof. Then my friend calls (who told me I was crazy last night) and says the same thing just happen at his house! Now, it just did it again but no where near as loud tonight.

This is happening in 3-6yr old Dominion and M/I homes.

What heck is it!??

dude, that's really fucking weird that you're saying this because I SWEAR to god I've been hearing what sound like someone pounding on the wall in my room from the other side. It keeps happening occasionally and I even beat back once but no difference. Weird part is, I live in Condo's and on the other side of the wall in my room goes to a grassy area.. not people living next door.

Wow man, I almost posted the same damn question. About every 15 minutes, there is a noise that reminds me of someone hitting my roof with a mini-sledge.

And today at work, my buddy said he went outside late last night looking for the cause of the same issue.

These aren't like house-settling noises; they are WAY louder. Thinking ice sheets are cracking. Do you guys have ice on the side of the house where the noises are?

+1

Went outside several times last night looking the cause.

It was LOUD I could feel it on the floor like someone was smacking my foundation with a damn sledgehammer!!!

I do have a TON of ice built up around the roof.. perhaps sheet were cracking and falling somehow..or sliding and colliding ?

WTF???

Yeah. sounds like the ice is cracking on the roofs. You know we did get a little bit of freezing rain.. then it soaked into the snow. bam. 2 inches of ice.

Wife's car was covered in a thick 1 1/2" sheet when I cleaned it off yesterday.

Mine does the same thing when it's extremely cold out. In my case it comes from the garage area and it's caused by frost heave. I don't think they went deep enough on the foundation around the garage and it lifts slightly when it's extremely cold out for a long period of time. It creates one hell of a boom.

This is crazy !! My house was making same noises last nite . Happened about 3-4 times , sounded like the someone was body checking the house . Freaked the wife out and had me out in the could like WTF !!! Then what was even more crazy is today the neighbor a few hundred yards away, called my wife wanting to know if my son could come down and play . Then asked if we heard any loud noises last night .

I also thought it might be ice falling off roof , but found nothing . Checked my attic , nothing . Had given up thinking Im going crazy , Then POW !! I see this freakin thread . Cool ,I feel normal now .

So WTF. Is there anyone who can solve this mystery ??

Wheres the Mystery Machine when you need them ??

weird last week this happen 2 times at my house, it was loud enough for me to hear it over the movie i was watching, but i also have weird things happen all the time, we thought the foundation cracked or did somthing, but there is no sign of anything stess related in the house.

+2. Went outside last night with a flashlight to see what the hell it was. I noticed the snow was all jacked up around the perimeter of the house. So I figured it was ice falling off.

sure take all the credit even though i was right beside ya just as freaking confused......damn houses

I have these same noises when it gets cold out. My noises are coming from my deck most of the time. Im guessing that its the wood moving around with the temerature change. The past few days the house has been making the same noises as the deck, hope it doesnt fall apart.

this was on the radio. Its called Ice heaving. Its where the temp from your house or building interacts with the ice on the roof or side of house. After if starts to melt it will crack. When it cracks is when the large boom comes from. People were describing it as someone kicking in the door.

sorry

Well all be damn I'm not ging crazy! That shit was loud! I seriously thought someone was messing with me...but then there were no foot prints in the snow.

My buddy called and said 10tv is doing a special at 11 tonight on the "Sonic Boom" heard across Columbus last night. Hmmmm...