License Suspension...Need some Serious Help!

Shields1181

Ok...as some of you know. The transmission went out of my 240 the 2nd week of January. I dropped my insurance on the 240 the next day knowing it would take a while to fix. The 240 still is not being driven. Now, i get a random letter in the mail requesting that I show that the 240 had/has insurance for the date 02/28/07. It doesnt.

So I just got off the phone with the BMV and I was told that if I dont have a claim by a Certified Mechanic or a Tow Reciept my license will be suspended on May 29th for 90days......W....T....F.....she claimed that there is NOTHING at ALL that I can do.

Is there ANYTHING i CAN do?????????

Help :(

Guest 78novaman

I went through this 2 years ago with a car that I didn't drive anymore.

The law is NOT that you have to have insurance, it's that any vehicle you operate on a public road has be insured.

In this case, the state assumes you are guilty of operating a motor vehicle without financial responsibility (insurance). You, the law abiding citizen, must prove your innocence to the state that you do not drive said uninsured vehicle and have not broken the law.

It is a big PITA, the only way you are getting out of it is to have a mechanic sign a letter, with his company header on it, saying your transmission does not work and the car is not drivable. Then you have to have that letter notarized, then either mail it or take it to the big BMV on W. Broad St.

I actually took the battery out of my car which legally makes it in-operable and had a mechanic I knew sign off on it.

I looked into fighting the law as unconstitutional, but your license will get suspended even if you are taking the state to court over it.

BMV fuckin sucks seriously. If they had their shit together they would be suspending the people that NEEDED to be suspended and not those who are actually responsible drivers. I hate the BMV personally, and hate dealing with them.. Couldnt tell you how many people Ive stopped that were suspended throught the BMV and had papers in their car proving they were good, or came back to court later to prove they were ok from some BMV fuck up.

If I was you I would take pics of your shit all apart and try to work it out with them that way.

not true if you state the car is not running and doesn't ahve plates registered to it you dont need to cary insurance because the car is unable to be driven but if you didnt claim that than you are kinda screwed I think

Man, I hate this subject (not that it is being brought up here, just the topic in general). I hate it for the reason 78nova stated. It is on YOU to prove you did nothing wrong. I almost always have 1 vehicle on stands or parked for months, and regularly cancel insurance on that vehicle.

I would think there are enough Mechanics on this board to help you out, through PM's, I would suggest. :)

Fuck the BMV.

BMV fuckin sucks seriously. If they had their shit together they would be suspending the people that NEEDED to be suspended and not those who are actually responsible drivers. I hate the BMV personally, and hate dealing with them.. Couldnt tell you how many people Ive stopped that were suspended throught the BMV and had papers in their car proving they were good, or came back to court later to prove they were ok from some BMV fuck up.

If I was you I would take pics of your shit all apart and try to work it out with them that way.

True story, the people at the BMV are stupid. I've been arrested before because I was unknowingly driving on a suspended license because of a BMV fuck up. I received no apology or anything for the headache and lost time they caused me.

True story, the people at the BMV are stupid. I've been arrested before because I was unknowingly driving on a suspended license because of a BMV fuck up. I received no apology or anything for the headache and lost time they caused me.

Does that go on your record?

I have a buddy that has towing as paret of his insurance policy. He bought a $.96 receipt book and makes his own reciepts and turns them into his insurance company. When they ask who towed it he says just some guy who happened to be driving by with a tow truck and thats the only receipt they gave him. Anyone with a towtruck can start a business. Theres no way of knowing whos an actual business and whos not. Just make your own reciept. Even give it a fake business name.

Damn...Thanks VERY much for the info guys. I'm not 100% whether to go with obtaining a tow receipt or to go with a mechanic paper. The ONLY thing that sucks is I have to make everything appear that it was in order either on or before 02/28/2007. It should be possible. Now who can help me out!? Haha! Shoot me a PM or just call ANYTIME!

Steveo Cell : 614-207-2965 DC# : 136*41*29489

Well here, you sell me the 240SX I'll come tow it and give you a receipt.

If you could make date on the receipt of the tow say something before 02/28/07 that wouldnt be a bad idea. I have a tranny lined up and was plannin on sellin it once I get it in.

Why not just sell it, and write up a bill of sale for like 2/25 and then show that to them, and if they ask why its still in your name same the guy who bought it hasn't registered it yet because it wasn't running or something.

how much you want for it?

Ok...as some of you know. The transmission went out of my 240 the 2nd week of January. I dropped my insurance on the 240 the next day knowing it would take a while to fix. The 240 still is not being driven. Now, i get a random letter in the mail requesting that I show that the 240 had/has insurance for the date 02/28/07. It doesnt.

So I just got off the phone with the BMV and I was told that if I dont have a claim by a Certified Mechanic or a Tow Reciept my license will be suspended on May 29th for 90days......W....T....F.....she claimed that there is NOTHING at ALL that I can do.

Is there ANYTHING i CAN do?????????

Help :(

First off. DO NOT SELL IT to someone as a way of dealing with this. THat is THE worst thign you can do. I had a friend who did this with his BEST FRIEND they had a fight, and never spoke to each other again, including the fact that his best friend still owned his truck, and nothing can be done about it.

Surely some mechanic on here will help you. All they have to do is write on some carbon copy shee that the car was IN FACT in operable on teh date of ???... And if they really want to cover thier ass, have them come out and see the car and to drive it. Offer em some money for thier "time" and "help" (or beer.. or pizza.. or something)

Its really quite simple.