Ohio Title question

87GT

So is it possible to get 30 day tags or normal plates if I buy a car off someone and they don't have the title right now? That is the seller has a loan on their car and if I give their bank the money the owner will get the title within a few business days in the mail. Then it will be signed over to me.

Is there any way to do this or do I have to wait a few business days to get the title in the mail?

You can not tag the car without title. You CAN drive on tags for another car you own, for up to 30 days while the paperwork is handled.

So I can take current plates I own and go get the new car registered to it? Or I can just drive with the current plates I own and not put the car information on it?

Current plates for now on the new car, can be run for 30 days. You are not changing any info until you have the title (with in 30 days). If you are pulled over, shoe the purchase agreement and explain that you are waiting for the title from the bank of the seller.

Current plates for now on the new car, can be run for 30 days. You are not changing any info until you have the title (with in 30 days). If you are pulled over, shoe the purchase agreement and explain that you are waiting for the title from the bank of the seller.

I would ask the bmv.I have heard if you sell a car and buy another,this is the way to do it. But if the tags you plan on using are registered to a car you still own I dont think that is legal.I could be completely wrong.Just my 2 cents.Good luck!

Yes, but a bill of sale is enough to get you a thirty day plate if you don't have a set of tags that can legally be put on the new car.

Yes, but a bill of sale is enough to get you a thirty day plate if you don't have a set of tags that can legally be put on the new car.

If that is so, great. With me having a current plate that could be used, they told me I was fine for 30 days.

Good to know either way can work.

I called the BMV and explained my story. They said there is no way to get 30 day tags, plates, or transfer my old plates to my new car without the title. Just to be sure I called them again and talked to someone else. Same answer. They also both said it would not be legal to drive with plates from another car I own onto a new car I bought.

So I don't know now.

I called the BMV and explained my story. They said there is no way to get 30 day tags, plates, or transfer my old plates to my new car without the title. Just to be sure I called them again and talked to someone else. Same answer. They also both said it would not be legal to drive with plates from another car I own onto a new car I bought.

So I don't know now.

Simply not the case. I don't know why they would've told you that, but a bill of sale is all that is necessary. My best friend is a dealer, and I have bought numerous vehicles from him, obtaining temporary plates with simply a bill of sale.

Think of it this way... a dealer is licensed to sell 30 day tags along with their vehicles. They cannot provide you a title immediately, therefore they issue you a temporary plate based upon the bill of sale. Even when you finance a car, you still have to wait until the title is transferred to get even a memorandum certificate.

Call 614-752-7600... that is the main BMV's phone number. They should be able to clear this up for you. Now, if you have no bill of sale; that's a different story.

I went into the one oh Hayden run in Sept of 2005 and that is the info I got. I was pulled over during that time(the first 30 days) and not ticketed. I explained that I was told to run the plates up to 30 days while my title came from the dealership in North Dakota. I was only pulled over because I was the only car on the Bethel Road at 3:30 in the morning and the dew on my plate cover made it hard to read. So the cop ran my info and said it came up the plate was for my RX 7. I explained everything, he said I was fine, and I was on my way.

Things may have changed. I may have gotten lucky. I'm glad you called though.

Simply not the case. I don't know why they would've told you that, but a bill of sale is all that is necessary. My best friend is a dealer, and I have bought numerous vehicles from him, obtaining temporary plates with simply a bill of sale.

Think of it this way... a dealer is licensed to sell 30 day tags along with their vehicles. They cannot provide you a title immediately, therefore they issue you a temporary plate based upon the bill of sale. Even when you finance a car, you still have to wait until the title is transferred to get even a memorandum certificate.

Call 614-752-7600... that is the main BMV's phone number. They should be able to clear this up for you. Now, if you have no bill of sale; that's a different story.

Yeah that is the number I called :confused:

Oh well I will deal with it. A loan agreement from my bank should be plenty of proof that I own the car. Fuck it.

as long as you no longer own the car you pulled the tags from to use on the new car your good for 30 days and ohio wont take a bill of sale from a state that use title's they call them a title state so you have to have a title ......the bank will give you a white loan title to get tags

I am going through this now. According to my BMV I have to have the title or a statement from the bank. However the guy I bought my car of of screwed up the title and had to go buy another one so there was no bank involved. And my bmv said there was no way I could get 30 day tags. I have just beedn putting my truck tags on it and on stealth mode. haha. if its only a few days it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Eric