Salvage bike questions

copper1k

I bought my wife a 2003 Suzuki sv650 today. Unfortunately, after I got the title I found out the bike is a "rebuilt salvage: flood vehicle". I got the seller to adjust the value to $2500 from $3500. But now I'm concerned about any long term affects that could plague the electrical system after being salvaged from a flood.

I rode the bike and it rides fine and has no apparent issues. Everything "seems" just fine. The bike has 7k miles on it and has just a few cosmetic blemishes, understandable for a 5 y/o bike.

The bike was issued a state title but that offers me little confidence that the bike will make a decent street machine.

Has anyone gone down this road before?

What is the likelihood of dealing with faulty electrical issues? If is hasn't already gone wrong, am I out of the woods?

The previous owner was Racers Edge. I know they supply a lot of the rebuilt bikes out there. Are they thorough enough on their rebuilds?

thanks for the input

Standard item for most vehicles that are flooded or travel through deep water, is the wheel bearings. Grit can get in there and destroy them. A quick check of the front and rear wheel bearings, as well as the swing arm bearing (which takes a lot longer). If it runs and nothing weird comes out with the oil change, it should be ok, me thinks. Try filtering the used oil, and see what is caught. Electrics are not a problem except for corrosion from prolonged exposure, and that would be more likely if it were simply parked outside. If water messed up the electrical system that easy, we couldn't ride in the rain. (Ok, British Lucas on British bikes). I did trash a transmission on a car that had been flooded, I do remember that.

If you know, how long ago was it underwater?

I probably wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. The rectifier and black box "might" crap out earlier than they would have normally - or might not. The wiring harness "might" rust and crap out earlier too. Might not. Just no way of telling. I'd apply dialectic grease liberally to all connectors after cleaning them with some residue free contact cleaner and hope for the best.

For $2,500 I'd just ride it until it dies.

Including check and replace brake fluids as needed. It's hard to spot water in hydraulic brake fluid. You'd have to let it set, the water tends to go to the bottom. Then drain a sample into a glass jar, and let that set, and see if water separates out in the bottom. Or if the brake fluid is dirty, just change it. Don't hit the brake lever before you drain a sample, that instantly disperses the water throughout the brake fluid from the pressure. Sort of like vaporizing it. It settles back out and falls toward the bottom after a while. Even the smallest amount of water in brake fluid is not acceptable. Is it possible to get a list of what work was done by the re-builder on the bike? BTW, good job on getting that adjustment. I thought it was illegal in Ohio to pass off a re-build title as normal. And not just marked on the title, I thought they had to tell you, and/or advertise it that way. Dunno...

Actually, before we make you all nervous, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep it in mind and keep an eye on things. I used to ride bikes through deep water all the time. Up over carb intakes even, the wake keeps them in an air pocket, just don't stop. Didn't do anything more for it other than re-pack wheel bearings in the winter. Worst case is trying to start a bike that has gotten water in the one of the cylinders, without taking the plugs out first. Even then, damage isn't likely unless it actually fires or starts.

Ok, I had to add this. The wording of the law is a bit tricky. In the state of Ohio, if the title (showing rebuilt markings) isn't available at the time of sale, the sale is void if:

The title for the vehicle indicates that it is a rebuilt salvage vehicle, and the fact that it is a rebuilt salvage vehicle was not disclosed to the retail purchaser in writing prior to the execution of the purchase agreement.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4505.181

I take it that would mean a buyer would have to ask to see the title before committing to a purchase agreement. I'll remember that...

Ok, I had to add this. The wording of the law is a bit tricky. In the state of Ohio, if the title (showing rebuilt markings) isn't available at the time of sale, the sale is void if:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4505.181

I take it that would mean a buyer would have to ask to see the title before committing to a purchase agreement. I'll remember that...

Thats a good thing to know. Good job wit hthe research RR.

Worst case is trying to start a bike that has gotten water in the one of the cylinders, without taking the plugs out first. Even then, damage isn't likely unless it actually fires or starts.

Yeah, I've got a 97 blazer that I "incidentally" ended up submerging in a pond. I had to pull the plugs and turn the crank to pump out the water to get it to start. It's funny now but wading out to it in the middle of November to get a chain hooked up was pretty miserable. Aside from replacing the tranny, the thing still runs.

Back on topic here.

My wife wants re-assurance that the bike's not gonna die on her while riding.

I didn't even think about the bearings.

The brake fluid is colorless, looks like it had been replaced.

Thanks a bunch for pulling the code. The seller is being compliant to make it right, but it's nice to know that legally I still have a way out.

Great info!:cheers:

Depending on how long it was under water, you'll have more to worry about than bearings inthe wheels.

-Swing arm pivot bolt is probably dry as a bone and corroded - they never lube them anyways...

-Caliper pins and such - they get corroded normally as most people never inspect or clean them. Water damage will advance this and can cause issues.

-Axles. Same as the swingarm pivot. Proabably dry as a bone and corroded possibly.

-Chain obviously - you should be able to see this and tell. If rebuilt, he probably replaced it...

-I think the water in the brake lines is something I would check and bleed the system completely just in case.

-Areas like rearset brake and shift levers - take apart and lube.

Basically, everything with a moving aspect to it should be looked at. Take these guys who ride trail on their dual sports or off road bikes. If they do not maintain them, they always squeek and creek when you roll them around. That's because everything is dry and nothing is lubed.

I'd ask the guy straight up to provide receipts for the bearings in the wheels and such. He will then tell you if he replaced them or not. If he didn't, I'd look at them VERY close and possibly change them for the sake of peace oif mind.

If it was deep enough and sat long enough under water, it got water in the motor. You'll tell on an oil change. Run it for a little while to get to temp and you'll tell quickly as if it looks REMOTELY milky, it still has water in it.

As far as electrical, when we prep a race bike, we use that Di-electric (sp?) grease on all the connections. That helps repell the water obviously. However, you could go and inspect each connection (will take some time) and see how they are. You could simply squirt a little in there for peace of mind. The water won't really effect the bike running if it hasn't happened already. Corrosion is what you need to concern yourself with...

I'm going to be getting set up with a company called "salvage direct" to purchase vehicles (bikes, quads....etc) rebuild them to sell or in some cases part out localy and on ebay. As long as the person rebuilding the bike is competent enough to change the things that need changing and fix everything the RIGHT way and not "jerry rigging" it theres nothing wrong with buying a bike from someplace like this.

I bought my wife a 2003 Suzuki sv650 today. Unfortunately, after I got the title I found out the bike is a "rebuilt salvage: flood vehicle". I got the seller to adjust the value to $2500 from $3500. But now I'm concerned about any long term affects that could plague the electrical system after being salvaged from a flood.

I rode the bike and it rides fine and has no apparent issues. Everything "seems" just fine. The bike has 7k miles on it and has just a few cosmetic blemishes, understandable for a 5 y/o bike.

The bike was issued a state title but that offers me little confidence that the bike will make a decent street machine.

Has anyone gone down this road before?

What is the likelihood of dealing with faulty electrical issues? If is hasn't already gone wrong, am I out of the woods?

The previous owner was Racers Edge. I know they supply a lot of the rebuilt bikes out there. Are they thorough enough on their rebuilds?

thanks for the input

If the vehicle was represented as a clean title bike, and you found out you purchased a salvage rebuild, I'd be pissed.

Average retail for a clean title SV is $3,575.00. Getting one that's been soaking for a while for the same price is bullshit.

I'd be talking to a lawyer, instead of polling the collective "wisdom" here.

You got fucked - hard.

If the vehicle was represented as a clean title bike, and you found out you purchased a salvage rebuild, I'd be pissed.

Average retail for a clean title SV is $3,575.00. Getting one that's been soaking for a while for the same price is bullshit.

I'd be talking to a lawyer, instead of polling the collective "wisdom" here.

You got fucked - hard.

+1

He said he got a $1000 back from the seller but I'd still be pissed.

Re-read the original, wolfie.

He said "I got the seller to adjust the value to $2500 from $3500"

That doesn't sound like he got a grand in his pocket. That sounds like the seller "adjusted" the sale value on the title.

At the end, it doesn't matter. That bike is really worth about 1/2 of the value of a clean title bike. He may also have trouble finding insurance. Some companies won't insure bikes that have a salvage title.

yeah it sounds like someone got screwed. sounds like they are trying to pass a salved bike as clean title and I would DEFINATELY see a lawyer IF your not happy with it. IF your happy and theres nothing wrong then you might get lucky but your on the hopes that their builder/rebuilder did it right without cutting corners.

yeah it sounds like someone got screwed. sounds like they are trying to pass a salved bike as clean title and I would DEFINATELY see a lawyer IF your not happy with it. IF your happy and theres nothing wrong then you might get lucky but your on the hopes that their builder/rebuilder did it right without cutting corners.

If they'd sell you a bike and didn't tell you it was a salvage/rebuild what are the chances that they "did it right"???

Thanks a bunch for pulling the code. The seller is being compliant to make it right, but it's nice to know that legally I still have a way out.

Great info!:cheers:

Really the question you need to ask yourself is would you have paid what you paid (let alone top dollar) for a bike that you knew was a salvage title bike?

If the answer is no, short of getting your money back and walking away, you got fucked.

Really the question you need to ask yourself is would you have paid what you paid (let alone top dollar) for a bike that you knew was a salvage title bike?

I got the seller to hand over $1100, which makes the sell price $2400. I've been over the bike pretty good and so far all it needed was a battery and a rectifier/regulator. I would have rather not dealt with any of this. Had I been informed of the bikes status I would have walked.

I think the outcome was good so I don't feel as though I was screwed.

This is going to be a starter bike for a girl that has never ridden anything with a motor attached.

I won't be too pissed when it drops.

I got the seller to hand over $1100, which makes the sell price $2400. I've been over the bike pretty good and so far all it needed was a battery and a rectifier/regulator. I would have rather not dealt with any of this. Had I been informed of the bikes status I would have walked.

I think the outcome was good so I don't feel as though I was screwed.

This is going to be a starter bike for a girl that has never ridden anything with a motor attached.

I won't be too pissed when it drops.

Don't forget to add back the cost of the reglator and the battery when you figure out what the bike cost you. I still think you paid way too much.

I guess I don't understand how you didn't get screwed when you paid too much for a bike that you wouldn't have bought had you known the title status?

• 3 weeks later...
Re-read the original, wolfie.

He said "I got the seller to adjust the value to $2500 from $3500"

That doesn't sound like he got a grand in his pocket. That sounds like the seller "adjusted" the sale value on the title.

At the end, it doesn't matter. That bike is really worth about 1/2 of the value of a clean title bike. He may also have trouble finding insurance. Some companies won't insure bikes that have a salvage title.

Flood bikes definately are worth less than even a plain salvage titled bike. We try to stay away from them, but if we do get one in, that will be the first thing we tell you about the bike.

Ageed. Call a spade a spade. People will always find out in the end and it only hurts your reputation.

As for things to look out for on this bike, I believe Lizard covered most of it. However, I will add the harness to the mix. Salt will be the dividing factor on that. If it was in salt water, the effects are much worse than lake or creek water. For the money, I don't think it was to bad of a buy. SV's hold their value well.