Rant: Want a job?

Rotarded1647545491

Let me clue the masses in.

If you call somewhere to inquire about employment/a job availability, nothing says "I'm a lazy fuck and don't care enough about a job" more than asking for directions as to how to get there.

Do your fucking homework and find out EVERYTHING you can about the company you are interested in working for. Most companies have a web site. All companies can be googled for addresses.

Discuss...

i hate this too. i do collections, and theres 200-300 people in my office, and quite regularly (so i cant imagine how often this happens and i dont get the call) someone calls and says "are you hiring?"

how about you get off your ass and come up and find out

Mike, I'll trade you. I get, "Is this on the bus line"? When I tell them "no". They act like they were coming from Cleveland for the interview and that I shouldn't have wasted THEIR time.

And the googling for address; they can google the # they are calling too. It will tell them the company, if the call goes there. And should give a link to their site. Go figure

Mikes favorite frustration quote; "It's not that hard".

yea, can you really blame people for asking if you're hiring?

Not at all...but can you show up with a resume' while you are at it? How about a cover letter that lets me know a little bit about what your goals may be?:)

Not at all...but can you show up with a resume' while you are at? How about a cover letter that lets me know a little bit about what your goals may be?:)

Fo sho. If the person was REALLY interested in that position, they'd attempt to get hired regardless if they're hiring or not. Calling around and saying "are you hiring?" just shows despair.

Let me clue the masses in.

If you call somewhere to inquire about employment/a job availability, nothing says "I'm a lazy fuck and don't care enough about a job" more than asking for directions as to how to get there.

Do your fucking homework and find out EVERYTHING you can about the company you are interested in working for. Most companies have a web site. All companies can be googled for addresses.

Discuss...

Some people don't own the intarweb though.

it's often wrong to "assume" you know where the interview is going to take place. just because google or even the companies web site lists an address, there's no assurance it's the location one needs to go to for the job interview.

we have offices all over the country in some cities more than one location too, so one would be hard pressed to find the one they need to go to for the interview unless they verify it.

not all companies show their address on their sites either, which I will never understand. overall, they perhaps were attempting to verify the address but asked the wrong way.

Some people don't own the intarweb though.

Guest 614Streets
I dunno Id hate to overlook good employee just because they asked for directions. With that said maybe your just a lazy ass yourself. Discuss.....

Asking for direction is not unherd of. If I would not have asked for my current job I would have went to the wrong building. As the interview location was not even remotely close to where the corp office is.

Calling and asking if someone is hiring is not really a bad practice for a McJob. Ehh Cold calling is a common sales tool. If you call and ask if someone is hiring and they so no whats the loss. If they say no because they think your lazy do you really want to work there anyways? I found my first real IT job off a cold call to a computer store. I had looked for jobs for about 2 months in the field and GOT pissed and decided to cold call computer stores. 6 Months later I was head of the ISP making almost double what i started at.

Guest Hal
Buy a honda when you are unemployed. Unless someone in your family works at a gas station, or owns one.

Yeah, 'cause I like to go buy cars when I'm unemployed.

When I was interviewed for my admin position I asked for directions when the hiring manager called. I didn't really think anything of it. I wasn't familiar with that part of town, and she was more than obliged to get me there in a timely and punctual manner, and I got the job. I think its a little harsh to not hire someone just cause they asked for something as simple as directions. Now if they had asked for sex with your wife ...

it's often wrong to "assume" you know where the interview is going to take place. just because google or even the companies web site lists an address, there's no assurance it's the location one needs to go to for the job interview.

not all companies show their address on their sites either, which I will never understand. overall, they perhaps were attempting to verify the address but asked the wrong way.

I work at the site of one of the country's largest international sporting events, created by one of the most famous sports legends on the planet. Not only do we have 2 websites (both with the address listed), but to get to my phone you must first go through the main switchboard by using a number given in the hundreds of TV commercials airing this month. We are also listed in multiple international magazine publications, as well as the yellow and white pages.

I dunno Id hate to overlook good employee just because they asked for directions. With that said maybe your just a lazy ass yourself. Discuss.....

I have literally dozens of people calling for employment every week, rising to dozens a day in the month leading up to our event. If you aren't smart enough to call back and ask the receptionist directions, or you aren't capable of calling yourself (instead of your mother calling for you), I'm not inclined to waste my time interviewing you to scrub a toilet, let alone serve our guests as a representative of my employer.

Asking directions: No

Asking location address of the interview: Yes

As for Joe and the Bus Line, if I were interviewing someone for something other than a near minimum wage job, and they mentioned that, that is an auto no-hire. That's just a guarantee in my book that this person will show up late on a regular basis, and probably doesn't have their crap together.

Yeah, 'cause I like to go buy cars when I'm unemployed.

It seems you have never been unemployed but what do I know? Last time I was unemployed I sold most of the things I owned to save money. If I had a car that cost me $1 to get out of the driveway it would be the first thing to go. And since I am spelling everything out lets just assume your gas guzzler is the only car you own at the time. At least that is what I was thinking when I made my previous comment...

That didn't work out in my case. She worked totally different shift then I did. I left for work and she would be home from work an hour later. That relationship didn't work out for long. I kicked her out and I had a lease still on my condo to pay. I didn't ask anyone for help. Shit happens like that sometime. My 91 civic got 40 mpg highway. Cost me $15 in gas to drive 300 miles.

ditto

I never had a problem with someone asking for our address. Didnt make them lazy, it seemed to me they wanted to know where to go. Like stated earlier maybe they dont have the internet. There are so many reasons that someone may be calling to look for an address. Who cares. Give it to them. If they call and ask if your hiring I think thats a little different.