so I got a good deal on a 351w roller :)

Dave1647545494

I know the 351 is wider and taller than my 5.0 so I'm going to need a new intake manifold and distributor for sure

trick flow looks like they make a decent manifold for this swap is there a better manifold out there?

part 2 since I will now also have a little more room for valve clearance with my new heads whats a good street cam I have the motorsport e-303 now, but may go a little more aggressive if I can make it fit. please keep in mind I also drive this car to work everyday, but I'm still fairly flexible if we can stay with a hydraulic roller :)

part 3 what do I use for a clutch/ bellhousing/ fork/flywheel will my 5.0 stuff work?

thanks

Hey dave, from what I remember researching this teh trans and related crap all works fine, but something you didn't mention is headers, I'm pretty sure you've gotta change them for a 351 in a fox because its a different height. sounds like fun, two projects? wow.

Hey dave, from what I remember researching this teh trans and related crap all works fine, but something you didn't mention is headers, I'm pretty sure you've gotta change them for a 351 in a fox because its a different height. sounds like fun, two projects? wow.

yeah forgot to mention headers jegs makes a swap kit its oil pan headers mounts distributor etc.....

[hijack]

Clark,

You have earned the coveted Sweetest Sig Pic Evar Award [/hijack]

All of your clutch stuff will work provided you are using a flywheel with the correct bolt pattern. You can use the same one from your 5.0 as long as this new engine is a 50oz. imbalance as well (and I believe most of the later, roller cammed 351s were). If its a 28oz. you'll just need a 28oz. balance flywheel with the correct clutch bolt pattern (they are plentiful).

Cam-wise, I have had good luck with the Comp Extreme Energy line. I'd probably do a XR274 (#35-518-8) for a daily, even though it's more displacement. I have used the XR282 on a 5.0 and had excellent results, but it was really pushing drivability and was irritating to drive on a small displacement engine, and would likely not be much better on a 351 to be my first choice. Either one will likely require valve springs depending on what's on your heads now. (edit - if you're still running stock pistons, either of these is probably going to require flycutting for clearance and maybe a B303 would be a better choice)

As for intake, headers and distributor... you'll need those too. If you already have an aftermarket intake, you may be able to buy just the correct base to adapt it over (depends on the brand). You can use the same motor mounts, but if you do you will need to do something for hood clearance, like swapping to a cowl hood.

Also - an often overlooked part of the swap is the fact that Ford has used eleventy billion different timing cover/pulley offset configurations over the years... so to keep it simple I would swap over all of your 5.0 stuff. That's probably already your plan, but I've seen people try to mix-n-match and it usually becomes a headache.

Guest Removed

use the z-cam or a anderson cam, comp has some nice ones too.

plus one on the air gap intake, great around power for a street/strip car.

am I going to have the piston to valve clearance problem on a 351 with a 2.02 valve head like you do with 302 or are the valve notches bigger on a 351? thats the main concern the motor is low miles and in good shape so I don't really want to tear it down if I don't have too....

heads are cnc port afr 185's

you may very well need a cowl hood. the 351 is taller, and takes some tricks to fit under a stock hood. as stated above, the front dress needs to be addressed--i think ford motorsports has a kit that contains the timing cover/water pump/etc. for the swap. good luck

Guest Removed
you may very well need a cowl hood. the 351 is taller, and takes some tricks to fit under a stock hood. as stated above, the front dress needs to be addressed--i think ford motorsports has a kit that contains the timing cover/water pump/etc. for the swap. good luck

all you realy need is the fox style pan, dipstick, pickup, headers, and Frpp make 2 metal brackets so you can bolt up all the stock ass drive.

keep us informed on this process. i know some people end up trying to do this on the cheap and end up spending more than they would have to build a nice stroked 302. good luck---i don't know much about this type of project, only what i've seen in 5.0 or MM&FF articles from time to time.

yep only now it has the nice armrest in it ( was a lifesaver when I drove down to cinci on saturday) and I got it all detailed up so it doesn't look like its been sitting in a field anymore It should be getting painted sometime this summer too :)