Spun out in the Fox 'vert today

lemosley01

89 Fox convertible with a 88 turbo tbird engine in it runnin 10 lbs of boost

Never had this happen before. I was on the entrance to 270 from Sawmill road southbound. I hit the exit ramp at about 35 mph. Ground was wet from rain (it had been raining all day).

Things are fine, I'm smooth into the turn, next thing I know the ass-end breaks loose like I'm on ice! WTF?

I wasn't getting on the gas, just holding a steady throttle, car wasn't even in boost I think I was in 4th gear.

I tried steering into the turn, but no go, so I stood on the brakes and spun off into the grass. Missed the yield sign by a couple of feet. I was kind of stunned because the whole thing happened so fast and it just lost it like I was on ice or oil.

I'm at a loss why the car would do this - are convertible foxes notorious for sudden oversteer like this? I was thinking maybe a combo of tires + wet pavement plus cresting and starting downhill reduced traction and caused the spin. We're all ok (kids were in the car, too), and the car wasn't damaged. The tires have plenty of tread, but maybe they are just poor rain tires. The car is prone to spinning the tires in the rain.

Foxbodys are kinda tail-happy with decent power, and the rain aggravated this, I'm sure.

Glad everyone's ok.

Like Derek said, check your shocks. Crappy shocks + uneven pavement + torque = filling your shorts with yesterday's lunch.

i could drive down the highway in rain in any of the foxbodies i owned adn the tail would get loose out of nowhere for no reason at any given time at a steady speed. like said above they are just tail happy

Not un-common really. Though you have a Stang and I have a Ranger, the effects tend to be the same since I have no weight over the rear end. I always had trouble with traction in the rain with 245/45/17's.

Dropping to third gear on I-70 one day coming home from College, after it just rained, I managed to kick the rear end out enough to face the right side concrete barrier. Was the scariest feeling.

Guest Whinin
I had the opposite problem the other day...JUST after it rained just a little bit, wasn't thinking anything of it went into a corner just a tad to fast and the front didn't want to turn haha.....thought maybe some oil or something was on the road....

I had the opposite problem the other day...JUST after it rained just a little bit, wasn't thinking anything of it went into a corner just a tad to fast and the front didn't want to turn haha.....thought maybe some oil or something was on the road....

No, you drive a front wheel drive car

I was getting on 270 @ 161 (Dublin) in my Mustang a few years ago, It had just started to rain, going about 30mph I down shifted from 4th to 3rd and it was like I hit ice. I turned into the spin (I was about 70% from going around). I ended up all the way over into the slow lane before I gained control. Luckily traffic was light and everyone hit the brakes. That shit will sneak up on you quick!

EDIT - auburn pro diff and 373's don't help

Guest Removed
I was getting on 270 @ 161 (Dublin) in my Mustang a few years ago, It had just started to rain, going about 30mph I down shifted from 4th to 3rd and it was like I hit ice. I turned into the spin (I was about 70% from going around). I ended up all the way over into the slow lane before I gained control. Luckily traffic was light and everyone hit the brakes. That shit will sneak up on you quick!

EDIT - auburn pro diff and 373's don't help

try driving one with cheater slicks, A bb and no wipers in a light down pour.

rolling away from stop lights at idle,still wasn't easy.

Back when the car had simple bolt on's, AOD and blad 225's it took me 2 1/2hrs to get home from Dublin in 5" of SNOW (normally a 20min drive)! I was actually lucky because there was rutts in the fast lane and people were only going about 10-15mph. Everytime I would put it in drive (off idle) the car would try to go sideways. I must have shifted in and out of drive 200 times on the way home! That trip seriously took a few years off my life.

Guest Removed
get a good set of control arms and some subframes and the problem goes away

I drive one mustang or the other year round with no trouble.....

you drive slower then my grandma.

and i had every control arm on it and then some.Dont give me that shit.

The torque curve of a Big block, slicks, add some rain. you're not going anywhere. hell i could have had 3 fat bitchs in the back seat, i still dont think it would have helped me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/funny%20shit/1174329819-ridindirtay_t.jpg

Guest Whinin
No, you drive a front wheel drive car

No, actually, ANY car will do that going too fast into a corner. Now, if I was on the gas, that would be correct. Understeer is a PITA.

FWIW- Fox Bodies, or at least mine with stock suspension, 245/50/16 g-force TAs, 5spd and 3.73s with Eaton 31 spline posi are nothing compared to 93-02 F-bodies as far as tail-happy

My 96 LT1 Formula six speed with the same size rear tires and stock LSD differential and the 3.42 or the 4.10s I later added was like driving on glass- and that was its eventual demise- standing rain on the interstate, offramp, concrete wall, totaled.