Title Agency Thoughts

Guest Mushijobah

Guest Mushijobah
I was pondering if anyone any of you guys/gals know has ever gotten in trouble for putting a false purchase price on the title for tax purposes. Responses? Thanks :cool:

When I sold my BMW. I "helped" the guy out. About a year later I got a letter in the mail from the DMV or the state, asking me to state the selling price (or something, can't really remember). I never replied to it. And never heard about it again.

IIRC, if its an outlandish selling price, they MAY investigate it. like if you buy a ferrari for 100 dollars or something lol.

i think that putting a lower price on there is something that everyone does.

i dont think ive bought a vehicle (save from a dealer) and not lied about the purchase price.

i dont think ive sold one either where the buyer didnt lie lol

I know of someone who bought a bike and put 1g on the title but paid $3500 for it. The IRS later sent him a letter wanting to know why he took out a loan on a vehicle for $2500 difference. He ended up having to pay taxes back with no questions asked or face imprisonment.

When I sold my BMW. I "helped" the guy out. About a year later I got a letter in the mail from the DMV or the state, asking me to state the selling price (or something, can't really remember). I never replied to it. And never heard about it again.

Same here. I bought the contour from my brother-in-law, they sent both of us a letter. I called the BMV and they said it was more important for the seller to confirm the price blah blah blah. Never heard from it again.

I know of someone who bought a bike and put 1g on the title but paid $3500 for it. The IRS later sent him a letter wanting to know why he took out a loan on a vehicle for $2500 difference. He ended up having to pay taxes back with no questions asked or face imprisonment.

Damn, stupid move but really, Im surprised the IRS even noticed something that small.

So, really, what can they do if they catch up with you? All they will do is make you pay the tax it sounds like. As long as it's nothing legal related, I wouldn't really be too worried about it.

Ohhhh, you caught me. Here's your money.

So, really, what can they do if they catch up with you? All they will do is make you pay the tax it sounds like. As long as it's nothing legal related, I wouldn't really be too worried about it.

Ohhhh, you caught me. Here's your money.

Exactly. As long as it doesn't go on my credit report I don't care.

Guest Mushijobah
So, out of all of these cases, how many had gotten a loan? My friend did get a loan, and wants to know if he would be at risk :rolleyes:

So, out of all of these cases, how many had gotten a loan? My friend did get a loan, and wants to know if he would be at risk :rolleyes:

The worst that could happen is that they catch it and they ask about it. In that case he could claim negligence and say he didn't see that. He would end up just having to pay taxes for it later.