Putting stickers on a bike

mrbret

Hair dryer (notice I did not say heat gun) unless they are clearcoated, then you're screwed.

Yep. (again NO heat gun) To apply new stickers perfectly, use water with some dish detergent mixed in and wet the area and the back of the sticker. This will allow you to move the sticker around and instead of just having one shot to get it right.

Once you get it placed where you want it, squeegee out the excess water from underneath the sticker and then hit it with the hair dryer for a minute. The glue will reactivate as it dries.

you cannot remove if under the clear coat, you will destroy the paint job on your bike.

getting the sticker COLD, not warm, seems to work the best, at least it did for me, on my factory CBR929RR rear tail stickers.

I used a hairdryer for the right side, and it left all kinds of sticky residue.

I put in the freezer for a while, and the whole left side peeled off with no residue left behind.

Edited by 12oclocker

you cannot remove if under the clear coat, you will destroy the paint job on your bike.

getting the sticker COLD, not warm, seems to work the best, at least it did for me, on my factory CBR929RR rear tail stickers.

I used a hairdryer for the right side, and it left all kinds of sticky residue.

I put in the freezer for a while, and the whole left side peeled off with no residue left behind.

Hmm.. never tried cold before. I think that may be ok for plastic, but metal? Usually when their cold they tend to just crack or come apart in tiny pieces.

The glue residue is really easy to get off, just use some goo gone or similar product. WD40 and Honda spray polish work pretty well also

What about if they are under the clear coat?

Stick over the top or get a pro to remove, stick & re-clear coat?

Please don't re-clear coat over the stickers....it's ghey and sucks donkey dick if the next owner of the bike doesn't like them. Not to mention it usually looks like shit.

3m makes a product called moulding and stripe remover. I used it to take off the ugly ass stickers that come on older Toyotas, you know the big ugly ones that go all the way down each side. Anyway it worked really well, best $35 I ever spent.http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(niabk545kqzmod55cskck255))/Results.aspx?Ntt=07499&Ntk=Part%20Number&N=0&Nty=1&D=07499&Dn=0&Dk=1&Dp=3

Please don't re-clear coat over the stickers....it's ghey and sucks donkey dick if the next owner of the bike doesn't like them. Not to mention it usually looks like shit.

:plus1:... if your going to clearcoat anything clearcoat the paint underneath the sticker(given theres any left) after you have the sticker removed that way it will be much easier for the next owner, or you, to take it off if you are no longer amused.

Mcbret

What are you going to be putting stickers on....????

Mcbret? I'm not Scottish.

What ever bike I get next (have a couple in mind) I was just thinking of re-doing the Kawasaki, Honda or whatever stickers in a different color, not a whole bike sticker fest or anything stupid. Just replacing the stock one with stock looking but different color ones.

yep. (again no heat gun) to apply new stickers perfectly, use water with some dish detergent mixed in and wet the area and the back of the sticker. This will allow you to move the sticker around and instead of just having one shot to get it right.

Once you get it placed where you want it, squeegee out the excess water from underneath the sticker and then hit it with the hair dryer for a minute. The glue will reactivate as it dries.

wrong.

You are not a pro.Pros don't use water.Motorcycle stickers are small enough all you need is patience and steady hand.Water is usually used with large stickers so they can be slid into position.The guy that wrapped the rally car didn't use water and you shouldn't either.

You are not a pro.Pros don't use water.Motorcycle stickers are small enough all you need is patience and steady hand.Water is usually used with large stickers so they can be slid into position.The guy that wrapped the rally car didn't use water and you shouldn't either.

I'm sorry, when did I say, or even imply, that I was a pro???

So I should not use a method that has worked for me countless times over the years?

What about the BIG ASS Honda wings? Would water and soap be the best for these?

What about the BIG ASS Honda wings? Would water and soap be the best for these?

I wouldnt use soap and water for any thing on a bike.The stickers arent big enough to warrant it.

Car wraps are the same basic thing.Vinyl with adhesive on the back.

Sorry Zerocrzsh I didn't mean to give such a harsh first response. I got interupted with work and just went with what I had.

Edited by rockybalboa