My girl is interested in an SLK, anything to know

Nitrousbird

Well, I think my g/f decided instead of getting an AWD daily driver (G35x, IS250 AWD, or 328xi), she'd rather spend less money on a summer toy, and drive her current car for the winter (which is perfectly fine and nothing wrong with it).

She wants a hardtop convertible, so obviously the choices are limited.

- 3000GT Spyder really wasn't her thing, and I didn't really suggest it highly

- Didn't like the late 90's SL's that well.

She really liked the SLK's, though hasn't drove one yet. You can get some pretty low mileage 98's for around 15k. The 320's are a bit more, and are they worth it? She'd rather have the 32 AMG, but those are hard to find and pretty pricey.

So anything to know about the SLK 320 (other than I barely fit into one)? Options to look for? Trouble areas? Being a supercharged 2.3L, are they happy with a CAI, header, and pulley swap? (that and rims are about all I could probably get her to do)

We'll test drive one in a week or so. I've driven a SLK 320 before; and though it lacks power (will do a burnout though), and I wasn't all that fond of its handling, it was a nice car.

S2000.

#1: Only offered in a manual, she wants an auto

#2: Softop, not a hardtop

#3: Torqueless, and I know she doesn't like cars like that at all.

Not even in the running. If she was going softop, a Z3/Z4, or Sky Redline would be considered, but she really likes the looks of the SLK.

The SLK32 does have 1 issue. the motor is DAMN expensive. We were looking at buying a higher millage C32 a while back then i reserched what it would cost to redo the motor yeah. no thanks on that. Lexus has a nice hardtop convertable I really like it.

The SLK and the crossfire are the same car. If she likes the looks of the crossfire, it may be a lower cost alternative. You would still get everything EXCEPT the mercedes logo. However, sometimes that logo is worth the additional cost to some people. :)

MB SLK.. perfect chick car.. go for it. Not really much more out there in hardtop convertible form.

Do you have a price range to work with? The new 3-series convertible is a hardtop, but its 50k

She doesn't want to pay 50k for a car. She doesn't see the point in throwing out that much cash for a car. She feels bad about getting rid of her Sentra, as the miles are low, has never given her any issues (other than putting on new tires), and she has no car payment.

I don't think she would buy a stick car until she was good at it, and I don't have any long-term access to a stick car that would be appropriate to learn on...and that's assuming she would even like to own a stick once she learned.

The SLK and the crossfire are the same car. If she likes the looks of the crossfire, it may be a lower cost alternative. You would still get everything EXCEPT the mercedes logo. However, sometimes that logo is worth the additional cost to some people. :)

my friend drove a crossfire and he said they were pretty much dog shit. they look nice but they lack in power/tourque. I do like all the luxuries the SLK has with the seat belt holster that moves up so u can grab it easier and how the seat moves to fit you. all the personal settings sound great

Like others have said the Crossfire is the exact same car execpt for the outside and much much cheaper. The regular v6 is a bit slow, but I have heard the SRT-6 model is a little better. I don't remember what extra they did to the engine to make it a SRT-6. Of course it comes with a hard top, but I am pretty sure you can get it with a hard top convertible if she wants it.

If she wants a fun summer car, she wont do better then an MX5 Miata. Sorry, it just rally cant be done. Nothing wrong with a soft top, just get her in the car to try it out.

Alternative: CLK convertible

She HATES Miata's; won't even consider one. I think they are even to girly for her, lol.

I think the G6 will be too much $$ for just a toy for her. She could afford it, but doesn't want to spend that much money on a 2nd car.

Haven't checked into a CLK, but I bet she would still like the SLK better, simply because if she wants a second car, she wants it small/sporty.

I still haven't seen many issues online about the SLK's. I think with rims, CAI, pulley swap, and perhaps upgrade the head unit, and she would be a pretty happy camper.

The logo is there under the hood. Car and Driver i think did the review a while back the 2 for 1. Also who ever claimed to drove there moms 230 WTF? The kompressor makes nice TQ really quick. I've driven C230's and SLK230's quite a bit.

Like most later model MBs, reliability is an issue and maintenance isn't cheap.. Theres a good reason they're so cheap nowadays. Personally (from looking at later AMG models), under 50k miles is a reasonable risk to take. Just keep in mind nothing will cheap when/if something goes wrong and make sure she can have some money set aside to account for that.

Probably not something most people want to think about, but the fun factor will definitely be there so I wouldn't put that in question.