Getting Into Bikes

Guest FooFooMaru

Guest FooFooMaru

Howdy

So i've been wanting to get rid of my camaro for awhile and a friend of mine is actually interested So if I do rid myself of it I plan on getting a Bike. My mother works at honda for one more year then retires SO if I get one before then I can get a discounted bike. I plan on that.

What i'm not sure of is what kind of bike. I've been on bikes just nothing HUGE, typically dirt bikes....well only dirtbikes hah.

Any suggestions or things to expect/to look for?

Appreciated :)

are you wanting a sportbike, cruiser, or sport touring

sportbike the CBR600rr will be plenty for you, and is a nice bike, handles great, tons of power, and great styling.

cruiser wise, its really what you want for comfort and budget.

a shadow spirit can be had for around 6k, and they are alike a sportster riding posistion, straight bars, rough suspension, forward controls, 750cc v twin not the fastest, but for the price a nice bike, if you want something more comfortable, the shadow aero, same motor, jsut differnet riding position, alot more comfortable, kind of liek a fatboy harley. cna be had for a little over 6k

both are shaft drive.

if you got a little more cash to spend, either the VTX1300 or VTX1800.. the 1300 is cheaper, but the VTX1800 has a dual pin crank, and is signifigantly faster. both are decently comfortable, but i personally like the styling and power better on the 1800.

also the VTX1800 can be had in many different styles to suit your taste.

for sport touring, the VFR800 intereceptor is an incredible bike, wiht great styling 800cc V4 motor, and alot of comfort.

i say go to a dealer sit on a few and see what you like.

Guest FooFooMaru

Sport bike. I was lookin at the 600's and 919 and such on honda's website

thanks for info. i'm going to go in sometime this week and look around.

on a 919 since its not really a sportbike, your insurance will be a ton cheaper.

they are nice bikes, but its not a sportbike. they dont have clip on style bars like traditional sport bikes, they have handle bars with risers, also its a naked bike. but they are quick and nimble.

Guest FooFooMaru
A ton cheaper? Why is it not really a sport bike? My friend just bought one and I loved the look and i'd prolly want a shield on the front but what makes it different? And if it would really be that much of a price decrease....i'd think about that instead maybe....

because its not a sportbike. anyhtign that has R in the title is considered a sport bike.

also insurance companies know CBR, GSXR, R6, ZX6R

the 919 is more of a sport touring style bike with its upright riding position.

as long as your not trying to keep up with the crotch rockets, the bike will be great for you.

i personally love the bike. it has the old CBR900RR motor on it, and it will shit and get. but its nothing in comparison to a new cbr600RRand especially the cbr1000RR. but call and check ins on the 600RR and the 919. youll be surprised of the price difference.

Guest FooFooMaru
I would suggest a superhawk 996, very nice bike with loads of power and nimble.

I have to stick with Hondas Is that a honda? lol I don't know but i've never heard of it so i'm asking. I get discount on the hondas thats why i say that.

do not buy from them. go somewhere else, honda northwest of fishinger, or motorsports of columbus. honda marrysville will rape you.

Just wanted to quote this so you would definitely see it.

Do you have a price range? For a first, honda, sportbike, I would recommend an F4i. A great all-around bike, a bit better (comfort-wise) for commuting and trips than a 600rr. However, if you are a good rider and think you might push the bike to its limits I would lean more toward the 600rr. You get a lot more bike for another $1000 over the F4i.

919 is a different machine all together, and liter sport bikes are too much for a first street bike in my opinion.

Honestly I would not buy a new one, get a couple year old F4i to play with until you decide how much you like it, what you really want to do, etc. It would suck to drop $9K then decide you want something else. Bikes hold their value pretty well after the initial depreciation when you ride it off the lot.

Just wanted to quote this so you would definitely see it.

Do you have a price range? For a first, honda, sportbike, I would recommend an F4i. A great all-around bike, a bit better (comfort-wise) for commuting and trips than a 600rr. However, if you are a good rider and think you might push the bike to its limits I would lean more toward the 600rr. You get a lot more bike for another $1000 over the F4i.

How is someone with no street-riding experience going to be a 'good' rider? Unless he becomes a track junkie and starts racing, it will take him years to exceed the capabilities of any 600 made in the last 5 years, if he can ever exceed them.

Honestly I would not buy a new one, get a couple year old F4i to play with until you decide how much you like it, what you really want to do, etc. It would suck to drop $9K then decide you want something else. Bikes hold their value pretty well after the initial depreciation when you ride it off the lot.

Not only that, but it sucks to drop your new bike, which you will almost certainly do with your first bike. Been there, didn't get no stinkin' t-shirt.

For your first bike, you want something cheapm, light and not powerful. 100HP doesn't sound like a lot, but it's good for 10second quartermiles with the right rider on on a CBR600RR.

Guest FooFooMaru

Thanks for the info.

I'm not buying from Mville Honda was just looking at things. I went to jacksons I think it's called in urbana as well. Just looking around.

I'm going to be getting a used bike for price reasons and the fact new bike and if I lay it down would not be good.

I'll be looking around 4k spending wise. So up or down a bit with that depending on the bike.

I like the F4i over the rr. Now it's just a matter of selling my maro and finding a nice used bike :) Hopefully I can find some.

dude go buy a gsx-r 750... u can buy a decent used from like 1500 and up.

my buddy has a 2002(i think..not sure on the year def 2000+) for 3k and only has 8500 miles and looks brand new.

i am actually probibly gng to buy a 1997 for 1000 here in about a week. and as long as you respect the bike a 750 wont be to much.. but it def has the power to scare the shit out of you the moment you forget its still a beast.

dude go buy a gsx-r 750... u can buy a decent used from like 1500 and up.

my buddy has a 2002(i think..not sure on the year def 2000+) for 3k and only has 8500 miles and looks brand new.

i am actually probibly gng to buy a 1997 for 1000 here in about a week. and as long as you respect the bike a 750 wont be to much.. but it def has the power to scare the shit out of you the moment you forget its still a beast.

I wasn't aware that you could control the bike with 'respect'. None of the bikes I have ever had respond to respect. If I did something, they reacted, whether I did it intentionally or accidentally.

What I'm getting at, is, as a new rider, you will do a lot of things accidentally or because you don't know better. A less powerful bike is less likely to make you pay for those mistakes.

Guest FooFooMaru

I'm lookin for a 600. I'm not a HUGE power guy so a little faster isn't a big deal. I'm not some guy who is going to go all out and race the crap out of it either. Nor go fast until i'm used to the bike.

Basically....i won't be an idiot with it :D

....as stated with lesmosley01 just because you wont be and idoit doest mean somthing wont happen....

like my classic "woohoo i havent fallen in the first three weeks.. so ill bs with my buddies about it at my house... go for a ride and wash out stopping at an intersection becaue i decided to hit some gravel.."

and i was gng less then 10mph.

....as stated with lesmosley01 just because you wont be and idoit doest mean somthing wont happen....

like my classic "woohoo i havent fallen in the first three weeks.. so ill bs with my buddies about it at my house... go for a ride and wash out stopping at an intersection becaue i decided to hit some gravel.."

I don't talk about falling. Bad Ju-ju.

As a beginning motorcyclist, I found the following useful.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school.htm

I also took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Riders course through MotorcycleOhio.

The older I get, the more I realize the value of formal instruction. Both may seem somewhat elementary, but your riding enjoyment and experiences depend a lot on knowledge and the development of good habits.

I bought a 1975 Honda CB750K standard for my first bike. Fast enough for now, simple enough to learn how to maintain and repair. With repairs, I have about $1,750 in it and have been offered $2,700 so far.

Guest FooFooMaru

I said i'd be safe. I can't speak for everyone else on the road, of course.

Thanks for help you and others!