dont know what to do about a trackbike?

e-flores

alright here is my issue.

i know i want a trackbike but i am really not that sure about the details. i know i will have about $6000-$7000 to spend on her and i want her to be newer preferably a 07/08 600rr, r6, or gsxr600. i have found a couple of 07 600rr's on the wera boards that are well setup and perfect for the track in the price range and that i would be happy with. i have also found a couple of salvaged bikes that i could convert to a trackbike as well but i am not sure if it will benefit me to buy a salvaged bike and build it the way i want it or to buy an already setup trackbike that i just slap in the back of the truck take home and head to the track with next season?

or third option, an older trackbike, such as a 04-06 that would be on the less expensive end of things that i could learn on and not have to worry about demolishing if that happens, and i have money to buy a junker street bike to ride around town. but the downside to having an older bike would be the fact that i want to go racing by the end of the year, and i want to have a competitive bike to do it on.

i could learn on and not have to worry about demolishing if that happens

bingo.

you get something expensive your always going to have this thought in the back of your mind.

get something cheaper not the bike of your dreams and that thought goes away. riding without that fear will boost your confidence at the track.

also wouldn't recommend something where you have to put a lot of time and effort into it. then you become attached to it and that thought if you wreck comes back a little bit.

its a trackbike. get something that works. doesn't need to be shiny.

if you can get something that when i knock it over and you won't get mad then thats the bike for you.

If you plan on wanting to race and you want to benfit with parts availability and rider info I would go with something newer. This is one of the reasons I ended up going with a newer r6. The newer bikes have so many improvements over the older bikes. If I was you I would look at something 06 or newer if you want to be competive and be able to have easy access to a wide variety in parts. As far as manufacturers, that is going to be up to you. Obviously Suzuki is one of the most popular, newer r6's are getting to be very popular in the series also.

This bike has already been down and still has a clean title...perfect bike to buy in my opinion: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=195428

yeah it would be a great roadbike conversion, but i would still be spending 2-3 grand getting up to track spec. with the new internals rear shock, track plastics, etc.:( GOD I WISH I WAS RICH

This bike has already been down and still has a clean title...perfect bike to buy in my opinion: http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=195428

Too much and with him having to add some things for track use only, it wouldn't benefit him any. That year is a good year to buy, but honestly, you can spend $1k more and get something like Nick has and be totally happy.

Here's my suggestion...

IF you want to race...

Buy an 06 or newer. Not a reason towards year and technology - I know guys with 04/05s that can destroy guys on newer bikes. Gee, did I know of anyone??:D That being said, the fact you want a 600 means you need to look at a few things.

-Parts. What years and models have parts readily available? I'd stick with R6s, GSXRs and ZX6Rs. In that order...

-Performance. Look, you don't want a turd bike like an older 600RR or older ZX6R. They suck to ride hard and typically, they cannot keep up without a LOT of money... R6s from the F.I. to now are awesome. GSXRs are a dime a dozen and are pretty much one of the toughest bikes to get fast and dependable. The newer ZX6Rs from 07/08 are pretty damn fast...

-Sellability. Yup, race bikes need to be easily sold. Look what's out there. Racers are running R6s and ZX6Rs for the most part. They will sell easier than the rest... Always exceptions, but you get the idea...

If you are racing, understand one thing. It won't matter if you buy a 2008 ex-AMA bike from Team Graves. You're going to get your ass handed to you. Take that amount and invest in things you're going to need. Tires, fuel, fees, etc. You might be one in a million and start handing out ass whipping cards, but if you're like most, buy an older bike and LEARN. Get good and step up to newer machines. An 06 R6 is a cool choice in the budget you want to spend and there's a SHIT pile of parts out there. However, realize that there will be guys on turd 04 GSXR600s leaving you for dead... New doesn't equate to fast. Good rider with knowledge and skill leads to fast a lot quicker than a fast bike and a mediocre rider...

IF you are doing track days...

Buy one of two things. A beater you care nothing about that will help you hone skills. Or, an ex race bike. Get something set-up and ready to turn the key and go. Look for key components. 25mm fork kits are uber cool, but unless you're top 5 in the WERA Nationals, you're not going to tell the difference and it isn't needed. If it is on a built bike, guess what? Bonus...

Look for 20/25mm fork kits, Penske rear (easy to service vs. Ohlins and others), decent exhaust system, PC or Bazaaz system, etc. You get the idea...

My choices no matter what route is:

1) R6 2006-present. Most likely, for $6-$7k you will find only 2006s...

2) ZX6R 07/08. Most likely not any for $7k in an 07. 05/06s were "ok" and can be fast, but you need to research who owned them and who took care of them. Privateer nobody? Stay away...

3) 06/07 GSXR600. Shit loads of them out there and PILES and PILES of parts out there for stupid cheap. They are turds and can be made fast, but Supersport motors are expensive and needed just so the GSXR will keep up. 95% of the fields are R6s...

4) 07/08 CBR600RR. Doubt you find a race set-up 600RR in those years for $7k. Not many out there as they are not popular... Hard to find parts easily and nobody really knows much about them except forum guys and most aren't fast so...

All my $.02, of course...

Some older candidates:

1)03-05 R6s. Find 'em cheap and easy to ride.

2)04/05 GSXR600s. Turds. Turds, but easy to get parts and stuff... Handle great, but suck on power...

3)05/06 ZX6R. The 03/04s were cool, too. Just really, any ZX6R outside 07/08 are pretty much low on the totum pole...

Too much and with him having to add some things for track use only, it wouldn't benefit him any. That year is a good year to buy, but honestly, you can spend $1k more and get something like Nick has and be totally happy.

I agree...not the best option for a race bike or track-only. E mentioned earlier he wasn't sure if he wanted to go track-only...so I was showing him that as another option if he still wanted to ride street a bit.

Lizard, do you think the stock suspension on these bikes is adequate for track use under any circumstances? Like say 140-150lb rider?

my first two picks would have been an rr or a r6. kinda surprised you threw suzy under the bus actually. i have never been a fan of suzuki and the only reason i was considering one was because they are stupid cheap and you find parts galore for the things, and i am guessing the reason you owned a 750 was because you didnt think the power was sufficient enough on the 600?

would it be a good idea to spend around $3000 on a salvaged 07/08 and make her into a trackbike and throughout the year build upon her making her a competitive racebike?

my goal by the end of the year is to keep up with lizard's 600 times at mid oh...:rolleyes:

but like its already been said, get something that you won't cry over if you wreck it (say for instance into the beach at the end of mid ohio's backstraight...).

turn key, already set up that'd be my choice.

Edited by natedogg624

my goal by the end of the year is to keep up with lizard's 600 times at mid oh...:rolleyes:

but like its already been said, get something that you won't cry over if you wreck it (say for instance into the beach at the end of mid ohio's backstraight...).

turn key, already set up that'd be my choice.

he didn't have a 600, he had a 750 and now has a 1000.

Lizard, do you think the stock suspension on these bikes is adequate for track use under any circumstances? Like say 140-150lb rider?

I think stock suspension on the current crop sportbikes will provide great feedback and performance for the beginning to intermediate rider. Higher Intermediate to Advanced riders really need to look at suspension upgrades over engine, exhaust, etc...

my first two picks would have been an rr or a r6. kinda surprised you threw suzy under the bus actually. i have never been a fan of suzuki and the only reason i was considering one was because they are stupid cheap and you find parts galore for the things, and i am guessing the reason you owned a 750 was because you didnt think the power was sufficient enough on the 600?

would it be a good idea to spend around $3000 on a salvaged 07/08 and make her into a trackbike and throughout the year build upon her making her a competitive racebike?

I rode Kawasaki ZX6Rs when we were with Kawasaki during 98-01. They were pigs and had to be built under Superbike rules to be competitive vs. the Zooks and R6s. After that, I went 750s as they were the Superstock bikes in 01-03.

I just like 750s because they are like riding an FX built 600 and not as mean as the 1000s. The new 1000s are pretty damn good and yet are VERY hard to ride well...

I think $3k for a salvage 600 is a good deal. No more than that, though...