Going to buy my 1st bike.....please help

ChevyMan1972

Well, I got my 1st time to ride a bike up to Norwalk this weekend and I can now say I AM HOOKED! Rode a 02 CBR 929RR. But talking to dad and he is trying to talk me out of that much power. So with him building a custom harley I was thinking of this?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/weavedan/2004-Buell-FireboltXB12Rc.jpg

This bike has just over 100 hp and looks sweet as hell I must say! Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel Weaver

I personally have never ridden one, but I just think the picture over sells the bike... you know what i mean?

Ride a few 600's before you make a decision. They lake the power of a 929, but they appear to out perform the Buell from what i have seen. Then again, I could have just witnessed a bad rider?

The Buell will spoil all the fun of owning a bike when it spends the entire summer in the shop waiting for parts. If you are looking for an entry level sportbike that is loads of fun, get a first gen Suzuki SV-650. You can get them for about $2500 sometimes and there is tons of stuff to do to and with them if you are so inclined. Best of all, you can sell it for about that when you are ready for something else so no depreciation loss. FWIW the new 600s will probably run all over that 929 you rode. They lack the midrange but the horsepower is there and they weigh a lot less and turn a lot better.

If you are stuck on an "American" bike, buy a Goldwing........more American content than a Hardley.

I can't look at the vid here at work, but I will check out the review tonight when I get home. But I am a big guy 280 lbs and I dont want anything smaller than what I am looking at right now. But thanks for the help!

Dan

I wouldn't shy away from a 600 just because of your weight (especially as a first bike). My best friend is 6'1" 290-ish and rode a 600 faster than many people.

The buell is a cool bike, but more geared toward the turns. You mentioned riding a bike at Norwalk, so if you're more into straight line, a 600 would be a better way to start. FWIW, my 636 will run neck and neck with a 954, and it's for sale ;)

remember...what I stated above, told dad about the 929 and how I liked it and he rolled his eyes. I just want to keep the peace in the family and get something conservitive.

Dan

I can understand that, but you're also going to find that the buell is far from conservative (especially with relation to ergos). It's also going to eventually get depressing when you realize that your car is faster than your bike in a roll-on. Plus, most Harley guys frown on Buell anyway (not sure why though).

Hopefully, Harley will soon wise up and let Eric Buell have a shot at making a bike with the V-Rod motor.

Your dad should be happy you decided to ride and loose the attitude. Check out a Honda Superhawk if you are that big of a guy. They can be had dirt cheap and will keep you out of the service department. I'm not anti-buell but they are crap for a first (or only) bike.

I wanted an r1 for a long time....dad said as long as i live under his roof i am not allowed on a street bike...i got 1 year!!!

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have heard parents say. So he could teach you to ride safely/properly under his roof OR send you out on your own to kill yourself with NO help. That's some good parenting.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I would NEVER buy a BUELL but if it's what you want...go for it. I would also recommend one of the later 600cc sport bikes as a first bike. Not only do they perform better for the money but you won't loose your ass on it when you decide to sell the thing like a BUELL. That is if you even get to ride it or if it sits at the dealer all summer... :(

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have heard parents say. So he could teach you to ride safely/properly under his roof OR send you out on your own to kill yourself with NO help. That's some good parenting.... :rolleyes:QUOTE]

i have ridden dirtbikes since i was 4....i think i have it under control!

That's not the point. Why do some parents feel the need to do that crap... :nono:

I'm glad you are riding but some parents refuse to let there kids have any form of motorcycle/atv/etc... until they are out of the house. Way to improve there motor skills by eliminating any experience they could get safely off the busy hwy's... :(

get a 750. the new 600s arnt streetable in that the its all high end torque. 750s weight just about as much as the 600s with more power. 1000s are big bikes, not only on power but physically. If you are going to do much city riding, its gets to be a pain. Also, as much as i love a straight line, id take flicking in the twisties anyday over straight line...which is much easier accomplished with a 750.

do some research, talk to people, not only sales but mechanics who have been in the business for a while. and most importantly done get anything too nice or new...buy a used bike becuase you will drop or lay this bike down at low speeds.