Which iPod should I buy?

Nitrousbird

I want an Ipod for reasons probably different than most. For on the go, I can listen to MP3's on my phones, or my USB jump drive that has a built-in player.

But I'm tired of carrying a pile of MP3 CD's in my Avalanche, and my two choices are either buy a DVD changer for it and burn MP3's to DVD...or buy this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069910_307492523,00.html

And then buy a 30+ gig iPod. But I have no clue what to buy. Here is what I need:

- Cheaper the better, used is cool. Money IS a factor, I want CHEAP.

- Will stay hidden in my truck, always plugged in, probably never used as a portable. Only time it will come out is to throw new music on it.

- Since always plugged in, battery life means nothing. But batteries are also cheap for them aftermarket (I've swapped one in my g/f's iPod), so probably not really a factor.

- I don't want flashy, just something my head unit can fully interface with ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_291159553,00.html)

I've never researched iPods, and figured I'd get a better real-world answer just asking here.

ive got a 4gb, i originally wanted a 30g, but realized i would never have enough music to put on it, plus, it was about the size of my old dell dj, except a little flatter. the 4gb is small enough to carry in my pocket...right now i have 310 songs, and i dont THINK im even at 2gb

Man I got a 6gb and it does a great job. I like the mini just because of the screen I can see it well and i'm not scared that I'm gonna scratch it.

For what its worth on my new sony radio I plug in a thumb drive also.

I bought a Samsung T 9. It is blue tooth cap. it has am/fm (which ipod doesn't as far as i know) It can store pics, text files and video's just like the ipod. It's cheaper and better in my opionion and super easy to use. I also bought wireless headphones for it. They are sooo freaking pimp!!!! The head phones are rechargeable so no batteries(the charger is just like a cell phone) they have an amazing range too. We have a really big yard and I can leave the player on the back porch or the picnic table and mow the grass with no cutting out of sound. The headphones also have a volume control built in to the right ear piece. (tap up or down)

Anyway I love them. It is Super easy to use. I just click shuffle in songs to load new ones..(usb drive)

The only Bad thing is that they only come in 2 and 4 Gigs. I have the 4 gig which stores a thousand songs.

I have gotten tons of stares and questions about the player and the wireless head phones..esp in airports. (I fly alot for work)

Check out Samsung T9.

Meagan :D

Joe the Sirius Stilleto.. thats all you need.

surprised you dont have one already

I've been considering that for a while, but the reviews scared me away. One guy said he can get one bar if he stands still in a parking lot. Anybody own one in Columbus? What's the reception like?

I sold my ipod because the battery life sucked. Zunes are better IMO. I did used to have an ipod hookup to my headunit like the one you linked above. Those are nice...

If you only want to keep this in your car I highly suggest you get a headunit with a USB attachment. Then get a 2.5" HD encasement to USB that you mount in the glove box. 2.5" HD can pull all the power they need from the USB connection. No external power is needed Then you can store as much music as you want if you get a big HD. Problem solved.

8GB Iphone FTW.

I'll take my Treo 700 with an 8GB card over that any day. I can actually DO stuff with the Treo. And like I'm going to ever waste $600 on a phone + be stuck with AT&T.

Joe the Sirius Stilleto.. thats all you need.

surprised you dont have one already

I'll eventually upgrade, but I was planning on waiting a model or two. It gets expensive when you have to buy 4 car kits and a home kit (that's a minimum $250 investment, plus a lot of wiring)!

or you could be smart and buy the zune....

better... more durable.. bigger screen... easyier to use than the manic scroll feature

If by smart you mean buy an MP3 player that won't interface with my head unit, and therefore not serve any purpose at all.

If you only want to keep this in your car I highly suggest you get a headunit with a USB attachment. Then get a 2.5" HD encasement to USB that you mount in the glove box. 2.5" HD can pull all the power they need from the USB connection. No external power is needed Then you can store as much music as you want if you get a big HD. Problem solved.

I like my head unit, and don't want to part with it. Not many Bluetooth units out there either (mostly just Pioneer and Alpine, and Alpine's Bluetooth sucks).

But people:

- I said 30GB for a reason. I have 16GB of music right now, and that grows all the time. So a 2-8GB unit is worthless to me

- Bluetooth connect using A2DP would work (basically a Bluetooth MP3 player), but you can't control that via the head unit, which is what I want. My original plan was to run one of my phones to the unit via Bluetooth and play off of them, but neither are A2DP players (my LG will only play to A2DP headphones, my Treo won't do it at all).

- I really just want to know what CHEAP model of iPod to get, ~30GB. Which units to avoid? How old of a generation is it safe to go? I don't need the latestest/greatest, I need something that meets my needs.

My 30 gig video ipod was fine for the car. I would go with this or get a smaller ipod. Most of those ipod adapters will play all ipods except for the shuffle. Just don't buy a used ipod.

Also make sure that ipod adapter allows you to control changing artists and/or cds via the headunit. My clarion adapter locked out all controls on the ipod itself when docked. Plus it would only setup a playlist of every song in alphabetical order, and I could only go forward or back one song at a time. I sold it because of that.

Hey Nitrous I think you should change your question to better suit everyones thoughts for it looks like noone is seeing your point of view.

Which generation of a 30gb Ipod should you buy or stay away from.

Id say just watch ebay and snag one up that falls into your price range that your wanting to pay. For youve already said your not worried about the battery, since youve already replaced them before. Other than it will basically be how many scratches you can deal with.

Hey Nitrous I think you should change your question to better suit everyones thoughts for it looks like noone is seeing your point of view.

Which generation of a 30gb Ipod should you buy or stay away from.

Id say just watch ebay and snag one up that falls into your price range that your wanting to pay. For youve already said your not worried about the battery, since youve already replaced them before. Other than it will basically be how many scratches you can deal with.

NOOOO Ebay electronics. I bought one off of Ebay last year "New/sealed in box" Yeah right it worked for like two months. The battery kept getting hot and shutting down. I called Apple support to get it fixed b/c it was sold with a one year warrenty per the ebay auction. Total b/s I got screwed out of over a hundred bucks for an ipod that was not new but was in a sealed box. The ipod was over a year old and had already been returned via the serial number to have the same problem fixed.

Go to Best Buy

NOOOO Ebay electronics. I bought one off of Ebay last year "New/sealed in box" Yeah right it worked for like two months. The battery kept getting hot and shutting down. I called Apple support to get it fixed b/c it was sold with a one year warrenty per the ebay auction. Total b/s I got screwed out of over a hundred bucks for an ipod that was not new but was in a sealed box. The ipod was over a year old and had already been returned via the serial number to have the same problem fixed.

Go to Best Buy

I buy TONS of electronics on E-bay. Heck, I have another PC and wireless keyboard showing up next week.

Want to sell your iPod. ;)