Window Tint

zeitgeist57

Has anyone been pulled over by the cops for having window tinting that's too dark? Or, does it seem that you get pulled over for something else (speeding) and just get ticketed for the tint also?

Just curious if the police have kept up being pains in the asses about tint since I left...

50% is the legal limit. When I had my jetta i was pulled over all the time for it in hilliard. Columbus gave me a second ticket for it once. I have been pulled over in my truck for tint by columbus twice. I had 7% on both. Still have it on the truck and will not take it off.

50% is the legal limit. When I had my jetta i was pulled over all the time for it in hilliard. Columbus gave me a second ticket for it once. I have been pulled over in my truck for tint by columbus twice. I had 7% on both. Still have it on the truck and will not take it off.

New law states 50% on front driver and passenger, and any % on rear windows.

Friends dad was in his porche doing about 85-90.

Got pulled over for no front plates, was warned about the tint, and a ticket was asessed for the no front plates.

Getting pulled over for tint does not seem to be big, normally just warning, depending on how dark it is.

While we are on this subject, since I have a convertible, could the back plastic window be tinted? I assume it can be done, but I'm just wondering, as far as when I put the top down, how will the tint hold because it is being folded?

I wouldn't really see a reason to tint a windshield anyway.

+1. I tinted the wifey's Passat and I asked the guy how many people tint their windshield. Even in hot-as-hell Florida he said he's only done one or two from hundreds of cars he's done.

Thanks for the responses. Most of what I've heard is the tint is more of a reason for cops to stick it to you if you've already done something wrong.

july 4 2006 i was driving thru westerville, down sunbury road, for some reason i was doing 43 (45 zone). i got pulled over for nothing but my tint, which when he measured it, was at 18%.

i almost wanted to fuck with him when he asked "do you know why i pulled you over" and say "if i guess right, can i get a warning?" i guess there was a shitload of other stuff he coulda busted me for if he really wanted to be a dick. tinted tails, no 2nd cat, and a few other things

Ahh, I see the confusion now...

"The tinting must allow 70% light transmission. This level is equivalent to the amount installed on most new cars."

So, any amount of aftermarket tint on the windshield is likely to push someone into the illegal (i.e. < 70%) zone.

I was under the impression that window tint was not something you could be pulled over and cited for. What I mean is, I thought that to get a ticket for window tint you had to be pulled over for one offence, and then they could rack the window tint on top of your first ticket.

Ahh, I see the confusion now...

"The tinting must allow 70% light transmission. This level is equivalent to the amount installed on most new cars."

So, any amount of aftermarket tint on the windshield is likely to push someone into the illegal (i.e. < 70%) zone.

Yup, I believe we were saying pretty much the same thing in different ways.