FINALLY got my STI! :) (long)

Draco-REX

This is a repost of my thread from IWSTI, but I thought I'd post it here too. :) I'm so excited, and I can't WAIT to actually join you guys at the cruise-in. It was *torture* walking around the ASR car show with my little blue beater hidden in the other lot.

---

I've been drooling over the STI since it came to the US, and the WRX for a long time before that.

About 4 years ago, I was looking into getting a WRX; even have a 06-06-2004 join date on ClubWRX.net. Unfortunately, I just couldn't afford one. But I hung around ClubWRX because I've always thought the WRX was a great car. I heard about the STI, but at first I didn't think much of it. Most other car manufacturers when they have a hot model (i.e. Trans-Am) will somtimes offer an upgrade (i.e. WS6) for the enthusiasts. But these top-level trims are usually nothing more than a sticker set, body panels, and maybe an intake and exhaust; the core vehicle remains the same. So at first, I thought that was what an STI was.

But I started looking into it and discovered that the STI was really a car unto itself. And after that, nothing but an STI would do.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year (2007). Pictures of Mitsu's Prototype X were flying aorund the net, and d@mn does it look good. Subaru drops a teaser on us, and I can't wait to see what they will do to counter it. Then the unveiling of the new Impreza, and my heart hits the floor. Things get worse as the new STI is looking pretty bad to me, and the new Evo is looking better and better. I didn't want a used STI and I wasn't sure about the '07s...

So up until just a couple days ago, I had my heart set on an Evo X. There were pros and cons to it; Great handling potential, but a 1st year car. But I was dead set on getting one..

Then, the other day, I was really feeling down about my old beater and really wanted something nice. The Evo X is a year away or so for me, and there really aren't other cars out there that fit my wish list of Turbo and AWD as well as the STI and Evo. So, having just moved out to OH, I sit down and hit the net. I figure if I can find a used '06 with low miles I can trade it in for an Evo X once it matures...

I find an '06 with only 5500 miles for only 27,500 and it's Black! I figure, "Great, this is 10K less than the Evo X will likely be, and it's barely out of break-in!". So I drive out to Chesrown in Newark OH. When I get there, I can't believe it. The car is THRASHED. The paint is junk, the rear spoiler has only 2 bolts attached and the rest are ripped OUT of the spoiler. I can only guess what else was done to the car, and in only 5500miles!! (If anyone here is thinking of buying that STI, just walk away.)

So, bummed out a little but still looking forward to the Evo X, I drive back to where I'm staying.. Along the side of the highway I see a Subaru dealership. I figure, "Hey, I might as well look..." As I pull in, I see a brand new 2007 OBP STI (And a CGM) sitting there. I give it a look over, and it's optioned out nearly exactly as I'd want one.

So, I'm standing there, dressed in black, in the sun, on a 92 degree day, thinking... Here's an STI. This is what I've wanted for years now. It's not a first year car. It already has an aftermarket, I don't have to wait for anything. And it's about five thousand less than what the Evo X might end up costing me.

The more I looked at it, the more it felt like a better idea than the X... Then Bob Miller came out and greeted me. He's a good guy, and doesn't have the sleaze feel that some car salesmen have. Well, to end an already long story, we worked it out and today I drove home my STI.

Ever since I lost my '98 Trans-Am, I've been driving disappointing cars and I've felt like my wings were clipped. But now, I have my wings back, and I'm FLYYYIN!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1270463705_2a7bdd828b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/1270464513_91b1c4eafe.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/1270465901_adbbd9ab8a.jpg

It's just plain stock, but I have plans! Plans 4 years in the making.

Ever since I lost my '98 Trans-Am, I've been driving disappointing cars and I've felt like my wings were clipped. But now, I have my wings back, and I'm FLYYYIN!

You are really excited or that is just a :gay: statement....lol

Congrats on the new ride, it looks good!!

This is a repost of my thread from IWSTI, but I thought I'd post it here too. :) I'm so excited, and I can't WAIT to actually join you guys at the cruise-in. It was *torture* walking around the ASR car show with my little blue beater hidden in the other lot.

---

I've been drooling over the STI since it came to the US, and the WRX for a long time before that.

About 4 years ago, I was looking into getting a WRX; even have a 06-06-2004 join date on ClubWRX.net. Unfortunately, I just couldn't afford one. But I hung around ClubWRX because I've always thought the WRX was a great car. I heard about the STI, but at first I didn't think much of it. Most other car manufacturers when they have a hot model (i.e. Trans-Am) will somtimes offer an upgrade (i.e. WS6) for the enthusiasts. But these top-level trims are usually nothing more than a sticker set, body panels, and maybe an intake and exhaust; the core vehicle remains the same. So at first, I thought that was what an STI was.

But I started looking into it and discovered that the STI was really a car unto itself. And after that, nothing but an STI would do.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year (2007). Pictures of Mitsu's Prototype X were flying aorund the net, and d@mn does it look good. Subaru drops a teaser on us, and I can't wait to see what they will do to counter it. Then the unveiling of the new Impreza, and my heart hits the floor. Things get worse as the new STI is looking pretty bad to me, and the new Evo is looking better and better. I didn't want a used STI and I wasn't sure about the '07s...

So up until just a couple days ago, I had my heart set on an Evo X. There were pros and cons to it; Great handling potential, but a 1st year car. But I was dead set on getting one..

Then, the other day, I was really feeling down about my old beater and really wanted something nice. The Evo X is a year away or so for me, and there really aren't other cars out there that fit my wish list of Turbo and AWD as well as the STI and Evo. So, having just moved out to OH, I sit down and hit the net. I figure if I can find a used '06 with low miles I can trade it in for an Evo X once it matures...

I find an '06 with only 5500 miles for only 27,500 and it's Black! I figure, "Great, this is 10K less than the Evo X will likely be, and it's barely out of break-in!". So I drive out to Chesrown in Newark OH. When I get there, I can't believe it. The car is THRASHED. The paint is junk, the rear spoiler has only 2 bolts attached and the rest are ripped OUT of the spoiler. I can only guess what else was done to the car, and in only 5500miles!! (If anyone here is thinking of buying that STI, just walk away.)

So, bummed out a little but still looking forward to the Evo X, I drive back to where I'm staying.. Along the side of the highway I see a Subaru dealership. I figure, "Hey, I might as well look..." As I pull in, I see a brand new 2007 OBP STI (And a CGM) sitting there. I give it a look over, and it's optioned out nearly exactly as I'd want one.

So, I'm standing there, dressed in black, in the sun, on a 92 degree day, thinking... Here's an STI. This is what I've wanted for years now. It's not a first year car. It already has an aftermarket, I don't have to wait for anything. And it's about five thousand less than what the Evo X might end up costing me.

The more I looked at it, the more it felt like a better idea than the X... Then Bob Miller came out and greeted me. He's a good guy, and doesn't have the sleaze feel that some car salesmen have. Well, to end an already long story, we worked it out and today I drove home my STI.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1270463705_2a7bdd828b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/1270464513_91b1c4eafe.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/1270465901_adbbd9ab8a.jpg

It's just plain stock, but I have plans! Plans 4 years in the making.

I am 99% sure I have a stage 1 ecu for that if your interested. also if you get downpipe we could road tune that bad boy.

All you need is a Tactrix / amd wb / downpipe. I envy you I <3 2.5

Guest evobound

Congrats! Wicked ride. :cool:

Heroic story, too. I was moved :p

The new STI looks pretty mean as well.

Mitsu won't be a participant in the WRC this year - 'course, the evo guys think it's pretty funny to see Subaru show up a day late and dime short after four years of domination.

It does make me wonder what's in store for the X, though.

I'm holding out to see what's what. Enjoy that scooby, man.

I am 99% sure I have a stage 1 ecu for that if your interested. also if you get downpipe we could road tune that bad boy.

All you need is a Tactrix / amd wb / downpipe. I envy you I <3 2.5

Thanks, but I'm going with the AP2. It'll fix an oddity with the throttle, and I like the idea of being able to switch maps.

I'm loving this car. I've put nearly 100 miles on it since 3pm today. :) Can't wait for tomorrow.

You know I thought the same thing but figured he was just excited about finally getting the car he's always wanted. I know the feeling driving my "beater" jetta everyday, its a great car, very nice and well built (so far) but just not what i want.

Good for you in your new purchase, how much did you drive it home for?

If you think it's fun now, wait until the first snow hits.

I was eyeballing the nearby Meijer's parkinglot the day before I got the STI. It's huge with so few lightposts... :) Can't wait.

So uh, was that you getting a ticket this morning on 315/bethel?

Nope! :D I'm keeping the reigns tight until I'm over 1000mi on the OD. As it is staying out of boost, the STI is stll fun to drive and a ton quicker than my old Corolla. I've let the turbo spool all the way up twice so far, and I really like the Jekyl and Hyde nature of it. :)

I like the SVX by the way. Great looking cars IMO.

If you protune it you will like it 10x better. I have a few maps to switch from, I gained 30 hp and 40 lbft torque from the off the shelf maps, mine was done on Bushur's dyno by Tim Bailey of PDX. It was $300 for the hour. It only took one hour to do a 100 oct. map and a 93 oct map and a 91 oct low boost map.

You know I thought the same thing but figured he was just excited about finally getting the car he's always wanted.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/1277172136_cd9c3b367e.jpg

If you protune it you will like it 10x better. I have a few maps to switch from, I gained 30 hp and 40 lbft torque from the off the shelf maps, mine was done on Bushur's dyno by Tim Bailey of PDX. It was $300 for the hour. It only took one hour to do a 100 oct. map and a 93 oct map and a 91 oct low boost map.

Nice. I was also toying with the idea of running E85 in it. Even at its worst winter blend (70 Eth/30 Gas) it is still 95 Octane and I can fill it for 2.63/gal. And with every pump having 10% Eth now, most new fuel systems are resistant to Ethanol's corrosion. But that's a project for down the road maybe.