04 Cobra, 04 Z06, or Keep the Fox

hpfiend

Hey all,

First off, I love my 1990 Coupe... It is my daily driver, sun, rain, snow, ice, etc and has been great.

I have read before about lots of people that get rid of their foxes and regret it and end up rebuying later.

So, I am on the fence, it is currently faster in a straight line than both of these cars (Cobra and Z06) I am looking at but the brakes and handling are nowhere near, and as a daily ride, albeit with worn out components it is quite harsh. Also, the fact that it always has a minor coolant leak or an oil leak, or something aggravating is getting old as well.

So do I pony up another 3-4 grand and overhaul the suspension/brakes/seats with all of the best from ford racing and maximum motorsports, or call it quits, sell it for a loss and step up to a factory built performer in all directions.

I have always wanted a z06 since they came out and I do not have any children currently but they are probably 3-4 years off if things work out (back seat/financial restrictions)

The fox has no payment, but if I divide everything I spent on it over the 3 years I have had it, it would cost be about 150-200 more a month for the corvette depending on what I can sell my stang for. The z06's are 28-35. Haven't priced the cobras yet but I expect them to be 18-25.

I would not modify either beyond a shifter/exhaust dumps/cold-air as I want factory reliability. Will be a daily driver as the fox. Keeping both is not an option as #1 can't afford it, #2 only have a 2 car garage and the wife has to have a car

oops here is a link to my current car:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2697057

Thanks!

Andrew

pfft... let me start off...

i hate mustangs.

fox bodies are jsut bad ass.. (fav mustang out of any of them)...

If its already faster than them..why downgrade?

and if you can spend another three or four grand and still be cool financially why drop a butt load on a new car when the mustang does jsut fine? but if u can take the hti and buy a new car and still eb good if somthing detrimental happens and youll eb good financially then u could do it.

Id say stay with the foxbody....at elast then u wont be taking a loss anywhere.

Hey all,

I would not modify either beyond a shifter/exhaust dumps/cold-air as I want factory reliability.

Andrew

yeah right. my cobra is modded and has FULL driveability/reliability. i'd drive it across the country without hesitation.

go for the cobra. i have an above average fox, and the cobra is so much more of a car, its outrageous. i wouldn't plan on driving it year-round though.

I don't know how you drive any of those three in the snow, but maybe I'm just a wuss...

All finances taken out of it, I would buy the zo6, but that is just my personal taste (and I plan to be in a zo6 within the next few years). I like a car that turns and stops just as well as it goes, and none of those three do as well as the vette in all three categories.

Monetarily, I might think about dumping some major money into getting the fox body to handle really well, then also buy a decent dd for the winter time.

This obviously comes down to your needs. I was in a similar situation a couple months ago. I love my red Mustang, had it for 8 years and have put rediculous money into it. I have wanted a Corvette for quite a while, and absolutely love the C6 appearance and now the the LS3 engine. I debated selling my red Mustang for the longest time in order to buy the Vette, but I thought in the back of my mind, what if I end up missing driving it. I was fortunately able to keep it while purchasing the Vette. After driving it for 700 miles, I think I can pretty solidly say I will be selling the Mustang come springtime. I don't miss driving it in the slightest bit even though it's faster than the Vette. The Corvette is a completely different class of vehicle in every way, atleast in my opinion. I still love Mustangs, but the Corvette has won me over. Go for the Z06.

Finances are obviously a factor in your decision. No matter how much you spend on maintenance it will always be cheaper to keep an older car than to buy a new one. I would say upgrade the Fox and keep it. But would you really need to drop 2500$ in doing so or could you spend a bit here and there on bushings/shocks etc.. stuff that wouldnt be considered a major overhaul. You could always buy a dependable beater if the question of reliability is a concern.

Counter point, your 27 and in a few years your probably gonna start popping out kids. When you have your first kid how much more likely do you think your wife will consider buying a new sports car? So buy the Cobra/z06 or wait 15-18 years?

Take it from someone who's gone from fast in a straight line to slower but does EVERYTHING well...you'll get much more enjoyment out of the car that stops, goes around corners, etc...esp on a daily basis.

If it were me the list would not have the cobra on it...but might have some even slower cars that do everything better in the cobra's place for consideration.

Andy

My Cobra is modded and is driven every day like it was stock. I've nevver driven a Z06, but I love my car. Contrary to popular belief it does corner and stop well. It's not the best, but, enough to have fun going up 315.

I have read before about lots of people that get rid of their foxes and regret it and end up rebuying later.

Haven't priced the cobras yet but I expect them to be 18-25.

I would not modify either beyond a shifter/exhaust dumps/cold-air as I want factory reliability. Will be a daily driver as the fox. Keeping both is not an option as #1 can't afford it, #2 only have a 2 car garage and the wife has to have a car

A few things I'm going to comment on:

1. You WILL regret selling your car, if you do so. Especially a notch. They are so hard to find in decent shape. Just recently I thought about selling my '86, but just couldn't do it. I'd miss it too much. I was gonna sell it and buy a nice daily driver, but decided to keep it and buy my Contour instead. I'd be hating life if I sold it. You will if you sell yours.

2. You are off a bit on your Cobra prices. I haven't seen one under $20K that hasn't been wrecked and/or has tons of mileage on it. I bought mine 19 months ago for $25K, I could sell it for that or more, and it's got 4K more miles on it. Prices are holding very steady for these cars. Think Grand National and Supra. Because that's what it's gonna be like.

3. None of the cars you listed are daily drivers. Even your current Mustang doesn't qualify in my book. Too bad you can't swing the $3K - $4K into a daily driver, because that's what you need. No way would I drive my Cobra in the snow, nor my '86. Again, just my $0.02... :nod:

z06 or cobra are not downgrades. i don't care how fast the notch is in a straight line, its a 17 year old car, period. as far as overall worth, z-06>cobra>notch.

don't get me wrong, i love foxes, but drive a cobra or z, and you'll be sold. i'd keep the fox, and buy the cobra or z. you will NEVER get the $$$ that the notch is worth to you-unfortunately.

none of the 3 mentioned make good daily drivers. GTO's, on the other hand, make fantastic daily drivers

This obviously comes down to your needs. I was in a similar situation a couple months ago. I love my red Mustang, had it for 8 years and have put rediculous money into it. I have wanted a Corvette for quite a while, and absolutely love the C6 appearance and now the the LS3 engine. I debated selling my red Mustang for the longest time in order to buy the Vette, but I thought in the back of my mind, what if I end up missing driving it. I was fortunately able to keep it while purchasing the Vette. After driving it for 700 miles, I think I can pretty solidly say I will be selling the Mustang come springtime. I don't miss driving it in the slightest bit even though it's faster than the Vette. The Corvette is a completely different class of vehicle in every way, atleast in my opinion. I still love Mustangs, but the Corvette has won me over. Go for the Z06.

Yea, but the mustang is slow