My first house...

Bam

I like it dude.

I'm 80% done with my full rehab. Was this house bank owned or did you just get a really good deal on it?

What do you expect the value increase to be over purchase after the full renovation?

Thanks man, I just got a really good deal on it, the old man had been there 47 years and wasn't in good health, had to move into a nursing home because he had amnesia among other things. I paid about $30k under value, and I expect the value to be around $180k+ come springtime.

2 nearly identical homes sold for $171k and $174k within the past 6-8months, one is my next door neighbor now. Neither house had any real upgrades or anything, where my house will be completely remolded.

There is a house slightly larger but same layout for sale 3 houses down for $249k, its just a 4bed/2bath, 1700sq ft, but still.

good luck with your rehab, its fun and definitely rewarding, just time consuming. Any pics of yours?

oh yes, I tore out quite a few walls in the house, did all new plumbing and electrical and had to move some studs to put a larger medicine cabinet etc.

The marble will be 1 piece walls from floor to ceiling, I figured it'd be easier to clean and look more crisp, plus I've read that tiling walls is harder than floors.

good luck on your project, post some pics.

tilling walls isnt much harder than floors, just takes time and patience.

what board are you sing for your tub surround, backer board or green board??

For a first time buyer, you're sure doing everything right! Kitchens and bathrooms are where it's at, and you're going with the right materials. If you can swing it, I'd go with solid surface counters, stainless appliances, maple cabinets. That's pretty much the standard in a nicer home like you have. Many folks go with granite, which is beautiful, but a little maintenance is involved so I'm not crazy about it personally. You will see a very healthy return on investment from the kitchen if done properly, as well as the bathroom(which you're definitely on the right track there). Going to be one sharp looking house. :cool:

I am a real estate appraiser. :)

For a first time buyer, you're sure doing everything right! Kitchens and bathrooms are where it's at, and you're going with the right materials. If you can swing it, I'd go with solid surface counters, stainless appliances, maple cabinets. That's pretty much the standard in a nicer home like you have. Many folks go with granite, which is beautiful, but a little maintenance is involved so I'm not crazy about it personally. You will see a very healthy return on investment from the kitchen if done properly, as well as the bathroom(which you're definitely on the right track there). Going to be one sharp looking house. :cool:

I am a real estate appraiser. :)

Hey, we need to meet up for a drink. ;) I'm hoping for a healthy increase in value in 2008 once I finish the interior, and all new fence/landscaping/driveway/front walk etc, etc, big plans.

We're doing Cognac Maple cabinets in the kitchen, and still undecided on the countertops (marble/granite ain't cheap) What's solid surface? We are most likely going to get black appliances because we don't like how the stainless shows fingerprints so much.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hoblick, I went with green board in the bathroom for the couple walls i replaced, where it was good enough I left the plaster. And the marble walls aren't too expensive and I will appreciate not having to clean the grout lines etc.

Go with granite counter tops it isn't much more than the solid surface, and in some cases will sell a house.

If you dont like the Stainless because of finger prints go with the silver painted lookalike people think its stainless but doesn't finger print and cheaper.