The Late Night Beer Thread

TheHaze

I've been drinking nothing but shit like Natty, Coors and Bud for the past 3 years so lately I've been trying everything I can find that looks good. Here's a list of the beers I've had so far. I'll be updating with more but here's a list of the basics that most of you have probably had before. Feel free to add your own reviews because I'd like some ideas of what to try.

Sam Adams Boston Lager: This is what I use as a base, as it's a very basic but premium taste. Great taste and texture. You can really taste the wheat and caramel sweetness in this one and it goes well with all food. I also love that aroma of the spicy hops.

Sam Adams Hefeweizen: I like this one, but nothing really sets it aside, to me, from the Boston Lager. It definitely tastes similar, but maybe a little more smooth then the BL and ever-so-slightly sweeter or maybe more fruity.

Blue Moon Belgian White: Excellent smooth texture but still strong enough to actually want to drink. I LOVE that slight acidic orange taste. Goes great with a little slice of orange. Goes very well with wings and ranch. It seems pretty light and an uplifting change to dark beer.

Guinness Draught: I won't say this is bad, as clearly there's a huge following, but it's just not my drink. It tastes like carbonated malt vinegar. If you like more bitterness in your drinks then maybe you'll like this. Granted, it does taste better in pint form at a bar or pub then bottled or canned, I think because of the nitrogen. I think if you like black coffee then you'd like this drink.

Guinness Extra Stout: Same as above, only stronger, much stronger.

Purple Haze: I'm in love with this one. I was a little worried about the fruitiness but upon the first swig I realized this indeed was a good beer. The taste of wheat and raspberries is prevalent but not overdone. It's very tarty and crisp. I'm a little unsure of how well this would go with food, though.

Killian's Irish Red: I was a bit disappointed with this. It's certainly not bad, but for as much as I've heard about it I expected a little more body and essence. There's not much wrong with it and it tastes good, yet it seems to not add much atop a basic Coors recipe. It is enjoyable but if I'm buying beer, it's not something I'd choose over others. It seems to be a casual-sipper that you can enjoy while working on your car or the like. Very sweet and hoppy but it goes down nice.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat: This is a personal favorite. Does not seem to be the traditional beer but it sure is tasty. The first time I drank it, it reminded me very much of Fruity Pebbles. Yes, the cereal. Anyway, it goes down so smooth and has such a sweet-wheat profile that I can't help but throw back one after another. It's too damn tasty. There's a great presence of fruits and wheats but its body is strong enough to suit my beer needs.

Red Stripe: I'll admit, the bottle attracted me. I don't know why but I thought that such a unique beer bottle would bring a completely different taste that I have yet to experience; not so much. It really seems to be much more average, almost domestic-like, regarding the wheat body. It was very carbonated, causing an almost gag-like reflex if drank to quickly. It's above average but not the kind of beer I'd like to get drunk off of or have with food. It's much more a casual sipper with friends playing poker or watching television.

Steel Reserve 211: I really have no idea how anyone can drink this stuff. I try to remain optimistic tasting new beers but for fucks sake, it's like water, piss and hops boiled and chilled. It has high alcohol content but I wasn't able to finish my tall can anyway. I think it's the lack of wheat presence that kills it. It's also very watery and has a very odd carbonation feeling. The price probably appeals to a lot of people but it's definitely not worth it.

Heineken Lager: It has a light hops taste that I can appreciate but it's very bitter and sour compared to most other lagers. I don't know if I like it yet, but it does taste better after I've gotten used to it. Enough carbonation to go down smoothly and I felt it went well with the grilled chicken I was eating at the time. The thing that disturbed me, si the smell. Quite frankly, the aroma was gross.

Carlsberg Pilsner: This Denmark brew is fucking delicious. It's definately one of those chill-back and relax types. It's very refreshing and goes down oh-so-smoothly. It almost reminds me of Rolling Rock but tastes much better. It has a sweet-bitter taste to it, if that makes sense. I can definately see myself picking this up more often as a casual beer.

Harviestoun Black Ale: It advertises right on the bottle as "Old Engine Oil"...quite a gimmick. This brew is out of Scotland. It has a VERY nutty taste to it, so if you're into that roasted taste you'll like this. There's also a hint of chocolate. It's also very carbonated and goes down decently. This has a really unique taste but I like it.

Wells Banana Bread Beer: Wow. Quite the taste in this English ale. First thing, it really does taste like banana bread. It's very nutty and fruity and carbonated. It's cool to try out but I probably won't revisit this for awhile. it leaves a pretty awful aftertaste, though.

Blue Moon Winter Ale: Very similar to its base brew recipe. They've added some cinnamon spices and something else I'm not to sure of. I like it, overall. It's kinda malty and sweet. I'll be picking some more up throughout the winter, to keep warm.

Sam Adams Winter Lager: Mmm, I love this. It has a great thickness to it and really warms you up after a few. I can taste vanilla and cinnamon spice in this. It seems to have a pretty deep hops taste and smell as well.

I'm working on a 12 pack + 5ish I think . lost count.

Mich light.

how many do you drink before getting blasted? youre a big boy so you probably soak it up pretty good eh?

I started mixing everclear with shit lately... much cheaper :D but i was hardcore hung over this morning :(

how many do you drink before getting blasted? youre a big boy so you probably soak it up pretty good eh?

I started mixing everclear with shit lately... much cheaper :D but i was hardcore hung over this morning :(

It all depends on what I've ate today. Today.. basically, I woke up, went to home town buffet with my wife. and that's it. Started layin' them down around 7 ish.

Yes, I'm pretty much a Shami for beer :).

Carlsberg Pilsner: This Denmark brew is fucking delicious. It's definately one of those chill-back and relax types. It's very refreshing and goes down oh-so-smoothly. It almost reminds me of Rolling Rock but tastes much better. It has a sweet-bitter taste to it, if that makes sense. I can definately see myself picking this up more often as a casual beer.

Harviestoun Black Ale: It advertises right on the bottle as "Old Engine Oil"...quite a gimmick. This brew is out of Scotland. It has a VERY nutty taste to it, so if you're into that roasted taste you'll like this. There's also a hint of chocolate. It's also very carbonated and goes down decently. This has a really unique taste but I like it.

Wells Banana Bread Beer: Wow. Quite the taste in this English ale. First thing, it really does taste like banana bread. It's very nutty and fruity and carbonated. It's cool to try out but I probably won't revisit this for awhile. it leaves a pretty awful aftertaste, though.

Blue Moon Winter Ale: Very similar to its base brew recipe. They've added some cinnamon spices and something else I'm not to sure of. I like it, overall. It's kinda malty and sweet. I'll be picking some more up throughout the winter, to keep warm.

Sam Adams Winter Lager: Mmm, I love this. It has a great thickness to it and really warms you up after a few. I can taste vanilla and cinnamon spice in this. It seems to have a pretty deep hops taste and smell as well.