todays home rehab project

88lx5oh

did some work on a guys house helping him rehab it. layed about 500 sq ft of tile.. dining room, kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom. a basic tan/beige tile with mocha grout. came out nice so far. been at it for 2 days one day last weekend and today.. gotta go back for a third day to finish up some grouting. and lay some transition strips. as well as tile a back splash for the sink in the bathroom. well here are pics, they are from my cell, so they arent perfect.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/Photo_120107_001.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/Photo_120107_002.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/hoblick/Photo_120107_003.jpg

sure do. and ill actually be getting to my entire bathroom at some point. just have to many side projects going on to get to it yet. ill be doing the entire surround in my tub/shower along with installing brushed nickle hardware. also tile floor, and back splash behind a new vanity. i want to do all travertine, but since ill not be staying in this house for more than another 2-3 years, i cant see spending $8 a sq ft on it.

anyways...

i have all the necessary tools to do the job including a nice wetsaw.

youll need to cutout the drywall where it will be put (atleast the actual size of where the back splash will be placed.. if yuor doing a 36" x 12" back splash youll need to remove atleast that amount of drywall)

and replace it with a backer board. hardy backer is great to use. u get 1/2" will match right up with the existing drywall. you will tape it and mud and sand as you would regular drywall. then tile on walls, youll need a support to hold the bottom row of tiles. or they will slide. also special thin set is required for walls compared to floor tile. and youll want a non sanded grout since the grout line will be less than 1/4".

if you want me to do everything i can give you a price qoute. which will be far cheaper than anyone youll find.

if you want me to do just tile i can quote for that as well.

and third option me doing everything and you helping and learning. cheaper yet.

let me know we can take this to pm or phone if youd like.

Looks pretty good. When you are doing long straight runs like that you really need to watch those corners. It's hard to tell pre-grout how off they might be. I use a ton of light and a laser line thrower to make sure everything is dead on.

yeah i know what ya mean i had a few off spots, but the tile was probably the cheapest tile i have ever came across.. at 48 cents a sq ft. 50% of the tiles were not actually 12 x 12. but i worked with it. turned out better than i thought for materials i had to work with. as well as the condition of the house. walls where not even near being straight.

and even though i pressed about putting down backer board down before installation, stating to him over and over and over that most likely the tile could crack or grout may come loose. he insisted that i lay it directly over plywood sub flooring. i said fine, but i will not be responsible for anything that happens to it. and made him sign a paper stating so. he bought so called specialty thin set used soley for plywood, but it still makes no difference. he was obviously being cheap.

I have done over 50 backsplashes without doing backer board. Since there is no wear or pressure on the tiles, it sticks to the drywall just fine. I have recently seen one I did 13 years ago and its still holding up as strong as when I placed the tiles.

this is true it can be done, but at minimum i would suggest green board. the moisture from the thinset or mastic alone concerns me. as well as if its behind a sink it will get some moisture. Plus tile has some weight and it makes me feel better if there is a nice piece of backer board there to support the weight.

But i will do it over regular drywall, but will not be held liable.

Take it from me, if your serious about going into others homes and doing work, get yourself bonded. After being in business for myself for about 14years, you never know when a homeowner might screw you and say something is broken or missing that you know you had nothing to do with. Some homeowners are very shady.

My insurance is through nationwide. I will check with my wife when she gets home to see where my bond is held. She handles all that. If you decide to go without insurance and bonding,which I did for the first year I was in business, always have a contract which states the homeowner is responsible for carrying insurance where the work is being done, and let them know ahead of time that you are not covered.

read read read is all i can say.

or have someone help you out your first time so you get a hands on experience.

you need to make sure you use the right materials, make sure you level your floor, and make sure you start your tile out right. measure 10 times if you have to. dry lay some of it first to make sure.

Would this be hard for someone who knows the process, but has never done it himself? I plan to do my kitchen and bathroom in a few months.

I was 17 when I did my first tile job for a business. I just called my dad. He walked me through a little bit and it turned out perfect. I did all kind of drywall for the same place also a few months later. I go back there 9 years later and it all still looks good. Anyone can do it.