Ben Stein about Christmas & atheists

Fonzie

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary on December 18, 2005......

Herewith at this happy time of year, a few confessions from my beating heart:

I have no freakin' clue who Nick & Jessica are. I see them on the covers of People & Us constantly when I am buying my dog biscuits & kitty litter. I often ask the checkers at the grocery stores. They never know who Nick & Jessica are either. Who are they? Will it change my life if I know who they are & why they have broken up? Why are they so important? I don't know who Lindsay Lohan is, either, and I do not care at all about Tom Cruises wife.

Am I going to be called before a senate committee & asked if I am a subversive? Maybe, but I just have no clue who Nick & Jessica are. Is this what it means to be no longer young? It's not so bad.

Next confession:I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees, Christmas trees.. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. &nbs p;In fact, I ki nd of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick & Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sick and freakin fed up with all the a-hole atheists that insist on pushing their ideas on the rest of us.... and we just "turn the other cheek" well I say it's time we start swingin the ol' ball bat for our right to speak and worship and display our faiths...

I am so sick and freakin fed up with all the a-hole atheists that insist on pushing their ideas on the rest of us.... and we just "turn the other cheek" well I say it's time we start swingin the ol' ball bat for our right to speak and worship and display our faiths...

Well Chris unfortunately "most" Christians in America don't have the money to allow our voice to be heard or they aren't willing to put their money where it belongs. Do you know that one of the reasons that 104.9 (christian radio) had to move from their previous location??? Well they were in New Albany and Les Wexner wouldn't allow them to keep their cross on the top of the building they were leasing! Seriously??? He is Jewish. There is nothing wrong with that until he starts to push his views on other people. He has done wonderful things for our community (as I sit at easton typing this...lol) but I found this bit of inside information a bit hurtful.

I am not an atheist but on the same coin there is a fair share of super christians who shove it down other people's throats

Yeah it really sucks but oh well thats college football. I knew having that championship game left to play was going to screw us.

If it's any consolation.....I was rootin' for you guys! I'm sick of Urban Meyer's arrogant ass!! :mad:

Well Chris unfortunately "most" Christians in America don't have the money to allow our voice to be heard or they aren't willing to put their money where it belongs.

SRSLY? :rolleyes:

I've heard of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell...so, who's the "voice of the atheists" in this country?

Largest Christian Lobby Group (Christian Coalition of America)

http://www.cc.org/about_us

Around 30,000 members

Largest Atheist Lobby Group (Freedom From Religion Foundation)

http://www.ffrf.org/

12,800 members

So, you tell me, who's got more "strength in numbers" and money to push their agendas? Exactly.