BMW Question

Drewhop

Ok the car is 1988 BMW 325es.

Im thinking about buying it for a track toy as a extra fun car. I personally have only been to a auto x once and it was fun but i didnt have a car that was setup for that type of racing.

I looked up the general information the the ES has 121 hp 170 lb tq

the is has 167 hp 164 tq. ES=2.7 litre IS=2.5. So i got that out of the way

IS final drive ratio is 3.73 ES is 2.93 final drive.

From my understanding the E part designated Economy the S was for sport so this was the economy sport model.

Problems seemed to be not to severe i know there are some BMW gear heads on here.

Which engine is better would the ES be ok for track use could it be fun/quick.

The suspensions seem to be the same in the ES and IS so for auto x would the ES preform as well or is that hp difference really gonna show.

Mod wise which one has more support.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yeah the ES is extremely slow i test drove it this past saturday. No kidding at all my jeep grand cherokee would smoke the car. Maybe it needed a tune up but it didnt feel like it was going anywhere until 3k rpm then i think redline was about 5k. Now the suspension was a whole different story that car could freakin handle. Those cars are very well balanced. not sure what curb weight is on them but it felt sub 3k lbs. 200hp and that suspension would be a fun daily driver/ track car. Ill have to research what it would take to get into the 200 hp range and see if it would be worth it money wise.

there used to be people who would take the E-car bottom end and put an IS head on it. Supposedly in order to make the car more stout on the bottom end the motor is actually bigger than 2.5 liters and with the IS head can be a real runner.

Unfortunately I don't know much else about the differences between the e and IS.