DSMers I need your help..

6 Speed S4

I just bought a 1991 Talon TSI AWD from madmax85 with 30K on rebuild motor, and 25K on transmission. It has the following engine/performance mods: spec stage 3 clutch

buschur racing ported exhaust manifold

HKS 50mm external wastegate

2.5 inch slowmo o2 housing

3 in mandrel bent exhaust w/cutout

2 in megan racing lowering springs

It is my daily driver for now and I have a question about fuel cut I am experiencing. Whenever I gun it, boost will kick in around 3500-4k rpms and spikes up to 15psi sometimes (wastegate creeps past stock boost), around 5500rpms I will hit fuel cut and the car will surge until I let off the gas. I know the wastegate is too large for the stock turbo but is there any spring I can purchase for it to make it not spike such high boost or would I be better off going back to the stock internal wastegate?

I just bought a 1991 Talon TSI AWD from madmax85 with 30K on rebuild motor, and 25K on transmission. It has the following engine/performance mods: spec stage 3 clutch

buschur racing ported exhaust manifold

HKS 50mm external wastegate

2.5 inch slowmo o2 housing

3 in mandrel bent exhaust w/cutout

2 in megan racing lowering springs

It is my daily driver for now and I have a question about fuel cut I am experiencing. Whenever I gun it, boost will kick in around 3500-4k rpms and spikes up to 15psi sometimes (wastegate creeps past stock boost), around 5500rpms I will hit fuel cut and the car will surge until I let off the gas. I know the wastegate is too large for the stock turbo but is there any spring I can purchase for it to make it not spike such high boost or would I be better off going back to the stock internal wastegate?

you best bet would be to find a stock 14b internal wastegate, they can be had for next to nothing. Whats with such big wastegate? was the car de modded?

I'm not sure why it has such a huge wastegate on it, I read though that I might not be able to switch back to a stock internal wastegate because the flapper could be welded shut. I haven't checked on that yet though.

Just to clarify, you have a 14b on there now that the 'flapper door' is welded shut correct? Is the HKS WG off of the exhaust manifold? If this is your daily your best bet would be to just throw on a stock 14b turbo. Im sure you can find a used 14b from someone for cheap though. Take off the HKS wastegate, sell it and buy a 14b with the money. Your not going to get crazy power out of a 14b but they are proven performers should be more than enough for a daily driver.