how to get a puppy to stop biting

Chad is Dead

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that a people say its so horably wrong to beat dogs, then turn around and tell everyone to beat the shit out of their kids? Should dogs be treated better than children? If we dont start beating Fido now he's going to turn to a life of crime. Its up to you as dog owners to stop the gang violence caused by undisciplined canines!!!!

I am certainly not saying that my dogs dont get a swat now and then..

but training a puppy is different.. you dont slap a baby because they wet their diaper.. you dont slap a puppy for something is only natural to it at that age.. teeth are coming in.. moving around its natural for them, training them requires positive reinforcement..

I have used squrit bottles and soup cans with change in them to make a loud noise that scares them when they are getting into trash or laundry baskets..

it really does help.

Wow. There is some of the worst advice on here(minus Mrs. Cos and Mike).

You should never, ever hit a dog. It's not going to correct your problem, neither is flipping the dog and showing them that you're "alpha". People watch Cesor and think they can do it to every dog. Those are last resort styles of training, being the reason why every dog on that show is severly aggressive.

You should show positive reinforcement when the dog is doing what you want(treats, toys, attention). If the dog is chewing the couch, you just redirect them to a toy that is safe for them to chew(ie Kong). Then while the dog is playing with said toy, you should show them positive attention(ie belly rub, pet them, a "good boy/girl").

I highly encourage a puppy training class of some sort. Pet Smart has one for 99$ for six weeks of class (2 hours, 1 day a week, usually)

My wife is a trainer at the Petsmart in Hilliard (soon to be Grove City), but the classes are 8 weeks, 1 hour per week and they cost $109. About $12 a week, and you'll truly learn a lot.

If you have any other questions and you want real answers, not some retard that's going to hit their dog, you can PM me or call and talk to my wife.

I hope you never ever ever fucking own a single dog thats larger then a pug. Using agression towards any larger dog is BAD.

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER Hit my Bull. I correct him with domianace and vocal. Thats it. I put him on his side from time to time but I can do it with almost no force. Usally If I just tell him to go down and over he lays there puts his head down in a completely submissive fashion.

Please go if you have a dog and put it up for adoption.

I do own a dog. All my dogs have always been obedient with no aggression issues. There is a difference between hitting your dog and a swift smack on the butt. Everyone has different training techniques. To each their own.

Verse, I've read quite a few books that speak to similar methods. I feel with bigger dogs that have a naturally dominate roll you need to be alpha. But hey what do I know my three dogs live in harmony with the cat and regularlly are around other dogs including pits.

Maybe it don't work for all dogs but It has worked with mine. But I do not hit my dogs.

so Just because you train dogs your way does not mean its the only way. I do say that what I use works. Before I was inspiried my cesar to read and learn about animals I won't lie I hit my pug out of anger. Now I avoid anger and don't hit my animals.

I do use praise but when they are really out of line if I catch them I will not think twice to put them on there side.

weak.

my dog is about a size 6 out of 10, hes got rottweiler in him, and his mother was wild

when he does something wrong/bad, he gets a whoopin

i recently got a cat and naturally my dog wanted to eat it, well i fixed that, now when they get near each other my dog looks the other way and puts his tail twixt his legs, and if you try to get him to turn his head and look at the cat he just wont

howd i do it? i beat him everytime he lunged toward it, kick him, smack him in the face, whip him with a thin branch, how did i justify it? well imagine how cruel it would be if he got a hold of the cat.

but guess what? he loves me, every time he sees me his tails wagging, he starts jumping and doing these crazy backflip things, licks my face, yet when i shout at him he cowers

BECAUSE LARGER DOGS ARE NATURALLY PACK DOGS, WHICH MEANS THE BIGGEST/SMARTEST DOG LEADS THE REST, AND THEY RESPECT HIM

( i read a book on it)

if you cant hit a dog you dont deserve to call yourself a man

and thorne i think you should know this; in the Bible God said he put man over beast, and beast would fear man, we see that today because wild animals always run from humans unless they cant

I train dogs as well, not professionally but I have been to just about as many courses as a dog trainer. Agility, obedience, you name it.

Positive reinforcement will adjust behavior but negative reinforcement works well too. If your dog jumps on you, stick out a knee and knock them down. This shows them that jumping on you is negative. If they bite you and their mouth hurts after, they stop biting. If you try to beat a dog, you usually make them afraid of you.

Be consistant! My english mastiff just turned 5 months old and I dont even crate him that much any more. NEVER has an accident in the house when Im gone or at night while I am sleeping. He only chews on his toys, nothing else. This is my first dog and it seems just too easy. I have never hit him.

what kind of dog? i heard somewhere that more people go to the ER for cocker spaniel bites than bully dog bites. i didnt believe it until my g/fs parents got a 3 year old cocker spaniel about 2-3 weeks ago, and the mother fucker started growling at me because he thought i was attacking my g/f (i was messing with her pushing her toward the door to leave). her dad had told me if he did that, smack him on the nose and say "no!". well, i did, fucker snapped at me again, i pulled my hand into my sleeve, smacked him again, and he bit THRU my fleece jacket, hoodie i had underneath it and put a nice scratch on my arm and a bruise about the size of 2 quarters

now my other buddie on the other hand has a pit bull/bull dog mix and every time i go over there, the dog will jump up on me caus he's excited, but hes never even barked at me, let alone try to bite me. he'll lick the shit out of me tho.

Food for thought...

I tried the positive reinforcement with my last dog. Training classes, books, treats, petting, rubbing, etc. He continued to bite 6 more kids before he was sent away. If I would have kicked his ass he would probably still be alive.

Food for thought...

I tried the positive reinforcement with my last dog. Training classes, books, treats, petting, rubbing, etc. He continued to bite 6 more kids before he was sent away. If I would have kicked his ass he would probably still be alive.

Should heed my advice.

You've never posted one intelligent thing on any forum you've ever been on. Down the street > Across the road.

Every single dog I own is smarter than you are.

weak.

my dog is about a size 6 out of 10, hes got rottweiler in him, and his mother was wild

i recently got a cat and naturally my dog wanted to eat it, well i fixed that, now when they get near each other my dog looks the other way and puts his tail twixt his legs, and if you try to get him to turn his head and look at the cat he just wont

howd i do it? i beat him everytime he lunged toward it, kick him, smack him in the face, whip him with a thin branch, how did i justify it? well imagine how cruel it would be if he got a hold of the cat.

but guess what? he loves me, every time he sees me his tails wagging, he starts jumping and doing these crazy backflip things, licks my face, yet when i shout at him he cowers

BECAUSE LARGER DOGS ARE NATURALLY PACK DOGS, WHICH MEANS THE BIGGEST/SMARTEST DOG LEADS THE REST, AND THEY RESPECT HIM

( i read a book on it)

and thorne i think you should know this; in the Bible God said he put man over beast, and beast would fear man, we see that today because wild animals always run from humans unless they cant

Just...wow. A cowering dog is proof that they are scared, not obedient.

weak.

( i read a book on it)

You're the reason there is an organization called the ASPCA.

I would like to thank everyone who had good tips. She just bites out of play and not anything aggresive. She has already learned to sit and shake and shes only a tad over 8 weeks. I will admit, at first I would strike her on her nose when she would bite to begin w/. Now I'm just sticking w/ a firm no and then showing her something she can chew on and praise her when she bites on it. She seems to doing a little better so I'm hoping this will work. And she has plenty of toys to chew on.

I would like to thank everyone who had good tips. She just bites out of play and not anything aggresive. She has already learned to sit and shake and shes only a tad over 8 weeks. I will admit, at first I would strike her on her nose when she would bite to begin w/. Now I'm just sticking w/ a firm no and then showing her something she can chew on and praise her when she bites on it. She seems to doing a little better so I'm hoping this will work. And she has plenty of toys to chew on.

Your doing the right thing. What I actually did was a little different. I would allow my current dog to nibble on my arm and play around a little more agressively than normal. Then I would randomly say stop in different tones of voice. When ever he stopped I gave him a treat and did the whole "good boy" thing. If he didnt stop I would pat him on the butt to get his attention. Not hard enough to hurt him, but hard enough to make him remember that he would get a treat if he stopped.

From that if he was playing with the kids and started to get a little too wild they would just say stop. He then sat pefectly still and waited for a treat. Now we are to the point where he doesnt expect a treat everytime, but we throw one in every now and then to keep him guessing.

Another good thing that came from that is if we are on walks and he starts to bark at another dog he's easier to control. I can pat (again "pat" not "spank") him on his butt and he knows to stop and give me his undivided attention. Its harder for me because I got him from the pound and he had about a billion bad habits. At this point he has been broke of 90% of them.

People watch Cesor and think they can do it to every dog. Those are last resort styles of training, being the reason why every dog on that show is severly aggressive.

that guy doesnt impress me.

most of the worst dogs on his shows were friggin chihuahuas.

the best part abour his shows were the hotass lesbians hed be seeing. :woowoo:

i know a couple body shop guard dogs that would enjoy seeing him try that pssst shit on them. ;)

You're doing the right thing. Just give her the toy and praise her for chewing it. You can't really stop an 8 week old puppy from teething, it's just like a child.

On a side note, you must have gotten it from an irresponsible breeder b/c you should never let a dog leave it's mother until it's 8-10 weeks old. The way you talk is like you've had it for a little while.