New guitar/bass recommendations.

Patrick

It's time for a new guitar and or bass. I've been looking for a long time. My old pawn shop Yamaha stat isn't cutting it anymore. So I'm in the market for a new (to me) guitar or bass. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

So far, I've considered:

Fender Jaguar/Squier Jagmaster

Fender Mustang

Fender Tele

Airline Copy (a la jack white)

Red Special copy

Gibson Ripper/Grabber/G3/Thunderbird

I'm looking for a) good tone b) build quality and c) price

I have a few oddball guitars, or had, and am a big fan of lawsuit guitars. I just need something new at this point, because my RD artist bass is just too heavy for regular play, as is my Yamaha BB1600.

I'm considering a new guitar or bass, so if anyone has any recommendations, please chime in.

I'm a bit irked about buying my guitar.. I paid almost $250 dollars for my Greg Bennett Design Samik Redwood guitar about a year or two ago, I went to Music Go Round to see what it's potential worth still was, and they offered me $48 dollars for it.. I just laughed and left. I can't exactly play guitar myself, but I love the look of this guitar and would love to eventually learn to play on it once I have more time set aside.

Music go round doesn't know what they're talking about half the time. If it says Fender on it, you won't be paying less than $600. Seriously. My yamaha (reading from other forums) goes from $400-1000 depending on condition. Don't know if that's exactly true, but the EMG pickups are fairly expensive as-is, and I paid $150 for it at Music Go Round. Even came with the original gig bag, pickups, and manual, hangtag.

I love the looks of the Les Paul design and bought myself an Epiphone verson Special 2. It's just a beginner guitar for a beginner (i.e. me) but I love the sound of the higher end Les Pauls and hope to someday have a Gibson variation. I also hear good things about the SG design, just my 2 cents.

I've heard of a lot of people changing out the pickups on the Special 2 to get the right sound. Basically, you can get just about any guitar to sound how you want if you tweak it enough, but I'd rather buy a guitar for the way it is. But, the SG design has grown on me and I might look into one down the road as well.

Out of what you've already considered, I'd go with the Tele, mainly because I'm planning on getting one for my next guitar. It all depends on what kind of sound you are wanting to get out of it though really. What kind of music do you normally play?

Rock/blues muse, joe walsh, ac/dc etc.

A nice fuzz (I'll be using my Univox Superfuzz)

Also looked at Mosrite or knockoffs of such.

Bass? no active electronics. I prefer Gibson (older) ripper/g3/grabber/victory...etc. Victory I'll make an active exception for. I just hate finished necks. My Jazz has an unfinished neck, and it's so nice to play.

I love weird gear, old vintage stuff on the cheap. I had my Ibanez rick, and that was so much fun to play on. Good sound too.

Rock/blues muse, joe walsh, ac/dc etc.

A nice fuzz (I'll be using my Univox Superfuzz)

Also looked at Mosrite or knockoffs of such.

Bass? no active electronics. I prefer Gibson (older) ripper/g3/grabber/victory...etc. Victory I'll make an active exception for. I just hate finished necks. My Jazz has an unfinished neck, and it's so nice to play.

I love weird gear, old vintage stuff on the cheap. I had my Ibanez rick, and that was so much fun to play on. Good sound too.

Have you ever considered a G&L? They are really nice sounding passive basses. You could also consider a Peavey T40. They have a nice vintage look and sound to them. Only problem is they are pig ass heavy (10-12lbs). I sold mine because of this. They are cheap($) though.

I'm with you on the unfinished neck. Easier to neck dive.

Have you ever considered a G&L? They are really nice sounding passive basses. You could also consider a Peavey T40. They have a nice vintage look and sound to them. Only problem is they are pig ass heavy (10-12lbs). I sold mine because of this. They are cheap($) though.

I'm with you on the unfinished neck. Easier to neck dive.

G&L has always seemed (to me at least) to be very expensive

I forgot about the t40, they're freaking cheap. Always loved playing them, played a few around. Built like a tank, the guy dropped it onto concrete and it stayed in near-perfect tune.

G&L has always seemed (to me at least) to be very expensive

I forgot about the t40, they're freaking cheap. Always loved playing them, played a few around. Built like a tank, the guy dropped it onto concrete and it stayed in near-perfect tune.

G&Ls can be a little pricey but they are nice. I saw one at GC on Morse about a year ago. It was a 70s Jazz with a lot of mojo for like $1500.

The T40 is a tank! It made my back hurt to play after a while. I like em 9.5 and under. A NICE one can be had for like $200 now. Check out talkbass.com for one. They pop up every once in a while. I am on there everyday looking for new gear.

• 2 weeks later...