2001 Malibu gas mileage sucks!

smokin5s

on our 2001 Malibu it was throwing an engine code that the EGR valve was bad... I replaced it with an Autozone EGR valve and the code has not come back since, but the mileage has dropped about 100 miles a tank. I have verified that the air filter is clean, plugs are good, EGR valve is good, and tire pressure is right... any other ideas on what could be going one?

any help would be appriciated.

Thanks!

Find the specs for the O2 sensors. Pull them and check the ohms. Replace whichever isn't to spec. Also check the cat. Drive the car around tonight sort of hard. Pull in the driveway, and jump under the car. See if the cat is glowing at all. If so, its clogged and needs replaced. Shouldn't be the cat, but definitely could be.

Before the cat. The post-cat sensor only monitors for cat functionality.

+1

If both 02 sensors are the same, just swap them. The 2nd O2 sensor is basically just a pass/fail test for the Cat. Hardly important.

+1

If both 02 sensors are the same, just swap them. The 2nd O2 sensor is basically just a pass/fail test for the Cat. Hardly important.

GM sensors are different between the front O2 and the back. (most of them).

GM sensors are different between the front O2 and the back. (most of them).

That's what I was going to say. With Ford you can do that, but I don't think you can with GM.

I don't know what the spec is for your O2 sensor. Call a dealer. They can probably tell you. I'd check both, but most importantly the front. Disconnect it, pull it from the exhaust, and test it. I'm pretty sure there are only two wires.

That's what I was going to say. With Ford you can do that, but I don't think you can with GM.

I don't know what the spec is for your O2 sensor. Call a dealer. They can probably tell you. I'd check both, but most importantly the front. Disconnect it, pull it from the exhaust, and test it. I'm pretty sure there are only two wires.

I think it should have 4 wires. 2 for the heater and 2 for the input/output on the sensor.