court date. Now this is my second offense with a suspended license within a

year. I got court in Marysville the judge's name is Michael J. Grigsby. Already

took care of the violator compact. I was reading the ORC and it states that

a second offense is car impounded for 60 days? A cop friend of mine said

that it could be up to 6 months in jail. Any input/ideas on what to do/expect

is greatly appreciated!

• Confused 1

what the hell is a violator compact?

Best I can tell from what I googled it is a agreement between states to report tickets, suspensions, etc. to the "home" state specifically in the case of people not taking care of the offense by the specified date. I would assume he recieved a ticket out of state and they sent a letter to Ohio asking them to suspend his lisence.

Stop being a retard that drives with his license suspended. If you want to keep being a retard, stop speeding with your license suspended. Enjoy the penalties, you earned them.

Well, you're kinda screwed and the fact someone was going faster than you will not help you at all. You fucked up and now you gotta pay. Whether you pay for a good lawyer to get you lesser charges or you rep yourself and pay for it anyway.

You could always go to the first trial and see what they're going to do and if you don't like it, plead not guilty, ask for an extension and get a lawyer. Don't get just any lawyer. Do your research. Not a Public Defender.

Well, you're kinda screwed and the fact someone was going faster than you will not help you at all. You fucked up and now you gotta pay. Whether you pay for a good lawyer to get you lesser charges or you rep yourself and pay for it anyway.

You could always go to the first trial and see what they're going to do and if you don't like it, plead not guilty, ask for an extension and get a lawyer. Don't get just any lawyer. Do your research. Not a Public Defender.

Wrong do not do this. Do not plead not guilty just yet. If you do you will be stuck with the same judge throughout your entire court case.

What you want to do is, you can see what everything is being put before you at your arraignment. Than you can say you would like a continuance, when they ask for what just tell him to get a lawyer and would like 2 weeks.

You can call my lawyer he is very good with suspensions and ovi cases.

His name is cleve Johnson and he is located in the building with plymale brothers and associates on the top floor. 299 8235. 495 S high street suite 400. Let me him that Jacob Hall sent you.

a little more practical advice...

Dress well. Fucking shave. Don't use slang and speak directly to the judge when he talks to you (he won't bite)

He'll ask you a mean question probably, like..."what were you doing? Are you stupid or lazy or what? Did you not know about the suspension?"

Have a nice answer ready....mention if you have a stable job or if there's a lack of other criminal record. If you're given the opportunity to say something - be ready and use it

I usually like hearing the person take responsibility for their actions rather than spitting out excuses.

but all that is for the future...

I'd probably look into the continuance and get yourself a good lawyer - sounds like it's worth the effort given the circumstances

be ready to answer why you weren't able to get a lawyer by the time of the court date...if you're going to do it that way

judges often say something like, "So, your court date was a month away and you didn't have time to get a lawyer?"

They'll grumble and not like it...but probably give you the continuance

more details!

hiring an expensive lawyer simply gives a better chance of a very nice plea bargain

because the prosecutor knows that it'll be a big PITA to go to trial against a lawyer willing to spend $$

cheapie lawyer...and the prosecutor will push you around

I'd know :)

Wrong do not do this. Do not plead not guilty just yet. If you do you will be stuck with the same judge throughout your entire court case.

What you want to do is, you can see what everything is being put before you at your arraignment. Than you can say you would like a continuance, when they ask for what just tell him to get a lawyer and would like 2 weeks.

You can call my lawyer he is very good with suspensions and ovi cases.

His name is cleve Johnson and he is located in the building with plymale brothers and associates on the top floor. 299 8235. 495 S high street suite 400. Let me him that Jacob Hall sent you.

again

This happened to me. Long story and around 1500 dollars in fines later finally got my license back. I am lucky though my father-in-law works in the DA's office.

Its crazy tough to get your license back after this shit.

Once all is said and done make sure you pay the fine to have your license reinstated in the state it was orginally suspended in AND the state of Ohio.

1.) Outside of Franklin County they could be a lot more harsh on you for this additional DUS.

2.) You should have payed your out of state speeding ticket

3.) You shouldnt be driving under a suspension anyway

4.) Now that youve been hit twice, you wont be able to reinstate for a MUCH longer time per BMV itself

5.) Youre fine for reinstatement is going to be INSANE now.

You have 2 choices really at this point

1.) Stop driving, wait your suspension time out and save money for reinstatement

2.) Keep driving, keep getting ticketed and youll never be able to afford a license ever again.

What you should have done if you "needed" to drive, was GET DRIVING PRIVELAGES from the court there.

1.) Outside of Franklin County they could be a lot more harsh on you for this additional DUS.

2.) You should have payed your out of state speeding ticket

3.) You shouldnt be driving under a suspension anyway

4.) Now that youve been hit twice, you wont be able to reinstate for a MUCH longer time per BMV itself

5.) Youre fine for reinstatement is going to be INSANE now.

You have 2 choices really at this point

1.) Stop driving, wait your suspension time out and save money for reinstatement

2.) Keep driving, keep getting ticketed and youll never be able to afford a license ever again.

What you should have done if you "needed" to drive, was GET DRIVING PRIVELAGES from the court there.

I agree 100%

I will give you a bit of background on what happened to me:

I get pulled over in WV in '99 for not having my car inspected (have to have that in WV, my car failed because it had a cracked front bumper cover!), anyway, I lived in Ohio at the time so I explained this to the officer. No problem he says, just register your car in ohio and this will all go away.

Fast forward to '05 (mind you from 99 to 05 I have replaced my license at least once from losing it and turned 21 so I had to get a new one anyway), Im driving to WV to visit friends, get pulled over in St. Clairesville and told my license is suspended. Car is impounded and I get thrown in jail until my brother-in-law comes to bail me out. I never recieved a notice or anything until I got put in jail. Yes, my registration and DL were current.

Anyway, a month later the court returns my license and I only get cited for driving w/o a license. Thank god my father-in-law is a lawyer and told me to carry that paperwork with me for a few months, just in case. Not 3 weeks after I get my license back I get pulled over, again the officer tells me that my license is no good. I show him my paperwork he tells me that I probably forgot to pay my reinstatement fee. "Awesome I responded." This time I was lucky to be in columbus and my mother-in-law picked me up.

Again, I receive a driving w/o a license pay my fees in Ohio and go to pay my reinstatement fee. Well, I cant do that either because my license is still suspended in WV! Glad someone FINALLY told me. So I pay all these BS fee's to reinstate my license in WV and then finally pay Ohio.

Break up of Fees:

600 for Bail

185 for driving w/o a license and court costs (1st)

250 for driving w/o a license and court costs (2nd Franklin County)

350 for driving w/o an inspection sticker in WV

100 for reinstatement in WV

25 for reinstatement in OH

Would have been much much much more but I had a great lawyer.

Well I got a continuance. BTW I didn't know my license were suspended I never recieved a document from either state on the matter. At a previous time Ohio has sent me a letter stating i need to mail in my license and that my "driving privileges" have been revoked pertaining to a violator compact. I seriously wouldn't have been risking myself a second offense if I would have known. Which all in all I think is bullshit because how are ppl supposed to know wtf a "violator compact" is? Borderline intrapment if you ask me. Now I have to read the whole damn ORC to cover my ass and set up a favorities page on my cell phone for the BMV.com to make sure daddy has givin me driving privileges before I drive.

I'm going to move to Canada, universal healthcare, and cheaper imports. ;)

BTW I didn't know my license were suspended I never recieved a document from either state on the matter. At a previous time Ohio has sent me a letter stating i need to mail in my license and that my "driving privileges" have been revoked pertaining to a violator compact.

Not to be an :asshole: but that was the same as a letter saying "You have been suspended". I did a google search and found out what the violater compact was. As soon as I got the letter I would have called to find out wth was going on. Do you know what happened to give you the violater compact?

I appeared in the Marysville Court last year. Grigsby was my judge. At your first appearance, you will be asked to plead. If you plead not guilty, he will ask you if you have representation. At this point, do not ask for a public defender.

You will be a number in a long line of cases. Grigsby will not ask you any other questions. He will set a date for trial or sentence you if you plead guilty.

As was said earlier, look good! Wear a suit, shave, and be on time. The courtroom will be full of "Union County's Most Wanted." There is no excuse to look like them.

BTW, I was there for a RR crossing violation.

Cliffs: If a cop writes you up for not stopping at a RR crossing while the lights are flashing, make sure he doesnt write you up for driving a commercial vehicle! I got the charged drop because of this.

Well I got a continuance. BTW I didn't know my license were suspended I never recieved a document from either state on the matter. At a previous time Ohio has sent me a letter stating i need to mail in my license and that my "driving privileges" have been revoked pertaining to a violator compact. I seriously wouldn't have been risking myself a second offense if I would have known. Which all in all I think is bullshit because how are ppl supposed to know wtf a "violator compact" is? Borderline intrapment if you ask me. Now I have to read the whole damn ORC to cover my ass and set up a favorities page on my cell phone for the BMV.com to make sure daddy has givin me driving privileges before I drive.

I'm going to move to Canada, universal healthcare, and cheaper imports. ;)

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Ok, bye.