Looking for first bike also!!

Dr. Apex

With gas prices and summer coming I think it's finally time to get a bike. Been wanting one for a while just never made it happen. My Pathfinder is for sale in the Corral and am willing to trade it for a bike.

I'm looking for a sport bike, don't really like the cruisers. Price range of no more than $4000(the Pathfinder is funding this once it sells). I always liked the TL1000R and would love to have one but am open to many bikes. I have no experience with bikes so as much as I like the Hayabusa(mostly for it's size) I need something I can manage but big enough to be comfy on as I'm 6'2" and 250lbs.

Suggestions?? Tips on what to look for??

Ben

^Too small a bike for my big ass, thanks though. Just came back from ASK Powersports just to get some ideas. Sat on some GSXR's to see what they're like and they're just too small for me. They had something called a Bandit there used, comfy bike but I didn't like the look that much. I looked at some TL's used online, still like them and saw a few within the range I want. Need to look some more.

Also, saw an awful lot of "SV650" or something like that, why so many? Just that popular or something wrong with them?? Lots of them online for sale and many quite new.

^Too small a bike for my big ass, thanks though. Just came back from ASK Powersports just to get some ideas. Sat on some GSXR's to see what they're like and they're just too small for me. They had something called a Bandit there used, comfy bike but I didn't like the look that much. I looked at some TL's used online, still like them and saw a few within the range I want. Need to look some more.

Also, saw an awful lot of "SV650" or something like that, why so many? Just that popular or something wrong with them?? Lots of them online for sale and many quite new.

Nothing wrong with SV650s. Your size isn't an issue for a 600 by the way. I've seen many larger than you guys riding 600cc sportbikes.

The SV is more of an upright sport touring bike. Its more comfortable. But you'd be fine on any 600 or up. Do you want a sportbike or cruiser? Something inbetween?

Prolly something inbetween, if the TLR is considered that then that's the kind of bike I want as it was a good sized bike for me. The sport bikes are fine by me if they're big enough, something like a Busa I can strech out on a bit, sitting on a 600 today my knees were in my face almost.

To put it simply, sport bike look, but big enough to be comfy on as it will be driven a lot. Yes, I want my cake and be able to eat it too!!

^Of course. Either I have to wait to sell the Pathy or see if he'd be interested in a trade, though I doubt they would be interested. Let me know Greg. Thanx!!

Here is the guy you wanna talk to:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=4169

He probably isn't interested in the trade, but I think he said he wanted 4k out of it. I'm trying to get him to do an introductory post so that way he can view the forums. Here are some pics of it, sorry they are a little blurry.

http://www.delawarelibrary.org/Greg/tl1.jpg

http://www.delawarelibrary.org/Greg/tl2.jpg

http://www.delawarelibrary.org/Greg/tl3.jpg

Looking around it seems like a "Dual sport" bike would be best for me. Suzuki had one that I liked but I'm going to keep looking around.

Uh, a dual sport is a street legal dirtbike. Nothing close to a big comfy sportbike.

BUSA, That is a nice looking bike!!

Greg, that's about what I'm looking for, I'll look into it.

Satan, I clicked on the category "dual sport" on Suzukis site and I saw no dirt bikes!?! Also tell your boy to clear his pm's, his box is full!!

Thorne, still too small of a sport bike. At least on the TL I can strech out but I'll have to go sit on one.

BUSA, That is a nice looking bike!!

Greg, that's about what I'm looking for, I'll look into it.

Satan, I clicked on the category "dual sport" on Suzukis site and I saw no dirt bikes!?! Also tell your boy to clear his pm's, his box is full!!

Thorne, still too small of a sport bike. At least on the TL I can strech out but I'll have to go sit on one.

Small? I mean yeah I can only do ~140 but I find it to be a comfy ride with me and my wife on it and we both are not petite people.

I'm 6'1" 215 and have never had a problem with an SV, 600, or any bike really being to small for me, I think you are making an assumption before you actually try them. They are all laid out for a pretty much average height and weight individual. It's not like a 600 is for people 5'6" and a liter bike is for people 6'0". If you want something not as cramped, get a "sport" (not supersport) or a sport touring bike. You could also look at the top of the line bikes from the mid 90's because bikes of that era had more room. Luckybusa is selling a ZX9 on here and they were one of the fastest comfortable bikes ever made, you could put a stock swingarm back on it and raise it up and ride it all day long.

^I sat on a GSXR 600 and my knees were in my face, the 1000 was a touch better, no assumptions as I stated I went to ASK and sat on a few bikes. I've mentioned I'm looking for more of a "sport tourer" more than something like a GSXR race type bike, hence why I like the TLR, great sized bike for me, or the Busa as well but that's way too much bike for me to start on.

Were your knees in the little pockets on the tank or were they above them? That's where you knees belong on a modern Supersport and many people perceive it to be uncomfortable or to small but that is a power position designed that way for a high CG and quick transitions from side to side. It's actually fine when you get used to riding it but certainly not more comfortable than a sport touring bike. A Tiller is more stretched out but not that much and is probably about the same as an SV. Older bikes, pre-99, tended to have more room too. A ZX9, ZX7, or older SRAD GSXR-750 were good bikes of the late 90s for people who didn't want the R1 ergos of elbows on your knees.

If you like the Tiller, you may want to also consider a Honda Superhawk. I had one for a while and they are fun bikes. They may not have the looks of a TLR but they also don't have all the quirks of it.

Remember, whatever you get will be undersprung for your extra baggage. This is important if you decide to start riding hard, and can not be made up with suspension adjustments in most cases. My old SV tried to toss me on every hard turn due to the weak suspension, I put in a new setup and it handled like a rat wearing reeboks.

Good luck with your search.