For the Stangs... and who ever. What to do with $6k

Rhett

Ok I have got about $6'ooo saved up to put into my Stang what would you all do.... Looking for a drag/street car dont care about 40, 50, 80,100 rolls. All input Is welcome. Cause I have never done any mods past bolt ons and spray. So please help me out. And lets keep the thread somewhat serious.

-Rhett

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input but I am not to worried about a downpayment due to me deploying again next year and Being a vet... I get sweet deals on Home loans... But if you didnt need a down payment what to do to the car????

+1, put it into something that won't depreciate.

Cheapest, semi-hassle free way to go fast - Bolts ons (intake, exhaust, headers, etc) + Nitrous.

Done correctly the power output per dollar can't be matched (it would take 85 10lb bottle fills to break even with a turbo/sc kit)

If I had 6k and your car? I would go to home depot and buy a welder, and build my own turbo kit

Now a few people have said go turbo... All the kits I find are around 6g's for a twin turbo set up.... now what would I have to do to the engine to handle this or what PSI would I be running to get me to lets say 400-425whp

Now a few people have said go turbo... All the kits I find are around 6g's for a twin turbo set up.... now what would I have to do to the engine to handle this or what PSI would I be running to get me to lets say 400-425whp

Your block "should" handle 425-450rwhp with a good tune......Cams full exhaust and a Procharger would get you that with 10psi and with 4:10's and some Drag radials it would be a fun car. The key to an engine not blowing up is good tune,plugs and gas!!!

it u go charger or turbo i wouldn't do 4:10. you want it a little lower so it can spoil good. i wouldn't go much more then 3:73 on a blower set up.

but for 6k i'd do a forged short block and some cams. if your doing the work you can do a little more stuff depeands if you are a spray guy or a charger guy.

it u go charger or turbo i wouldn't do 4:10. you want it a little lower so it can spoil good. i wouldn't go much more then 3:73 on a blower set up.

but for 6k i'd do a forged short block and some cams. if your doing the work you can do a little more stuff depeands if you are a spray guy or a charger guy.

Yea Thats what I was thinking I was thinking going with this company out of VA called Steen Racing and geting:

A New Machine Block, Manley H-Beam Rods w/ARP 2000 Bolts, Diamond Racing Pistons, ARP Main Studs, Federal Mogul Main and Rod Bearings, Deburred Stock Crankshaft, Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly, Professional Assembly. for the Block

For the heads New/Reconditioned Heads,Comp Valve Springs, ModMax Oversized Valves, Bronze Guides, Spring Height and Tension Set, Blueprint Assembly

All should cost about $4,500 from Steen

And I would also have to buy a Cam Thought about CompCams' XE262AH for $550

Then doing some kind of fuel up grade dont know which one then Hiting it with about a 150-175 wet shot.

So As long as I get the fuel system for about $1000and some shorties ($350) give or take a little I am Golden I see what do You all think....

Oh yea and the defently get a kick ass tune!

:EDIT: I already have installed intake, MAF, 70mm tb and header back exhaust.

Yea Thats what I was thinking I was thinking going with this company out of VA called Steen Racing and geting:

A New Machine Block, Manley H-Beam Rods w/ARP 2000 Bolts, Diamond Racing Pistons, ARP Main Studs, Federal Mogul Main and Rod Bearings, Deburred Stock Crankshaft, Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly, Professional Assembly. for the Block

For the heads New/Reconditioned Heads,Comp Valve Springs, ModMax Oversized Valves, Bronze Guides, Spring Height and Tension Set, Blueprint Assembly

All should cost about $4,500 from Steen

And I would also have to buy a Cam Thought about CompCams' XE262AH for $550

Then doing some kind of fuel up grade dont know which one then Hiting it with about a 150-175 wet shot.

So As long as I get the fuel system for about $1000and some shorties ($350) give or take a little I am Golden I see what do You all think....

Oh yea and the defently get a kick ass tune!

:EDIT: I already have installed intake, MAF, 70mm tb and header back exhaust.

Do you have Longtubes?

You will not pull off a reliable turbo set-up on a 302 without doing something to the internals, and make the power you want with FI. Go H/C/I, gears, and spray it and you will be MUCH happier. I have seen it a million times over on StangNet.

I got bored and didn't read anyone's responses, so, I apologize if I repeat anything.

I would personally build the 8.8, get good tires, and put a shot on it. Doing that, and working on driving, you should have a nice dig car on your hands.

You will not pull off a reliable turbo set-up on a 302 without doing something to the internals, and make the power you want with FI. Go H/C/I, gears, and spray it and you will be MUCH happier. I have seen it a million times over on StangNet.

2001 mustang gt with a 302??

Reading > you :p

sell it and get a ls1.....

seriously though. I would sell your engine and do a 03 cobra conversion.......:eek:

I have a thing for conversions.

I WOULD not do an 03 Cobra conversion...maybe a 4V conversion. A built 4V wit an F-1 would be sick!!!!!!

$6,000 into modifications to make power will lead to another $6,000 in making the rest of the drivetrain handle the power, folowed by $3,000 to make the chassis handle it. Then follow that up with another $6,000 once you have a strong drivetrain and the power you have isnt enough.

I would suggest a supercharger with 6-7psi and call it a day with money left over.