My trip to Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap *VID*

Farkas

Well,

Last weekend I went to the Tail of the Dragon for my first time with my buddy Eugene, who had been telling me about a group of members from VWvortex.com were meeting there, and encouraged me to go with him. To sum up the trip in one word, it was amazing. The smokey mountains are beautiful and you wouldn't believe the driving I did there. The VW group that I went with was a lot of fun and I would definately make the 10 hour trip there again.

The video basically summarizes the entire trip from beginning to end. Our trip there, meeting up with the VW group, heading up the mountains, running into fog, running the tail with the entire group, leaving robinsville going through the tail one last time and our trip home.. check it out

56k'ers eat your heart out, here's the video:

OH, and there's good music in the video too ;)

If you don't know the, "Tail" I'm talking about, refer to the picture below:

http://patriotgetaways.com/images/autotour004.jpg

Well,

Last weekend I went to the Tail of the Dragon for my first time with my buddy Eugene, who had been telling me about a group of members from VWvortex.com were meeting there, and encouraged me to go with him. To sum up the trip in one word, it was amazing. The smokey mountains are beautiful and you wouldn't believe the driving I did there. The VW group that I went with was a lot of fun and I would definately make the 10 hour trip there again.

The video basically summarizes the entire trip from beginning to end. Our trip there, meeting up with the VW group, heading up the mountains, running into fog, running the tail with the entire group, leaving robinsville going through the tail one last time and our trip home.. check it out

56k'ers eat your heart out, here's the video:

OH, and there's good music in the video too ;)

If you don't know the, "Tail" I'm talking about, refer to the picture below:

http://patriotgetaways.com/images/autotour004.jpg

Was supposed to go last summer. I'm jealous. :( Maybe, this year.

great vid bro. that seems to be some fast driving going around those turns. How fast were you goin?

The video was sped up to keep it interesting since the entire ride through the tail is about 20 minutes, and the huge loop we did was about 3 hours. BUT, I would say on average we were going anywhere between 60-90mph. The posted signs were usually 35-40mph.

have they backed off patrolling?

Supposedly there are certain months where the patrolling is to a minimum and we actually got lucky. The locals said in the next week or two there will start to be about 15-18 cars patrolling the tail until the rest of the year. Our entire trip I think I saw two cops and none of them bothered us even when we were goign 20 over.

Went to the dragon with my girlfriend at the time last summer. It was truly a spur of the moment trip. I drove down to her house (She lived down in Milford [Cinci area]) and we were just joking around about driving down there but I somehow convinced her and myself it would be a great idea and we actually ended up making the trek.

The trip was pretty bland until we actually got there but I wasn't really expecting much but the scenery was nice. We arrived at around 4 in the morning but we went up and down it numerous times until the sun started to come up which made it freaking gorgeous.

It was a freaking blast. To anyone that has the opportunity to drive this road I highly suggest it, don't turn it down it's well worth the drive.

Also on May 4th.. The Audi club of North America is heading down there for, 'Quattro De Mayo". I may head down there with a buddy if I can get the day off. But the road is a freaking blast.

Also, just out of curiosity. Was the Dragons Den open when you guys went down?

You didn't drive your car? pfft c'mon man

Well, driving an automatic luxury sedan wouldn't have been fun, and my corolla isnt drivable yet so I opted to take my brother's protoge which is 5spd.

Was the dragons den open when you guys went down?

Yeah, all of the stops and corner shops were open. So many cool things to see and do there.