Best all around performing car for 10-15K

hpfiend

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have a few winners-

Corvette C4: What I know- relative easy to work on but lots of electrical gremlins, very stiff/very squeaky rattling ride... love the v8 though.

BMW E36: Know virtually nothing other than the fact it is german and parts are expensive- everyone I have ever talked to has loved thiers though-

Audi S4: have heard front suspension is a problem other than that nothing- twin turbo v6 sounds like a nice combo- is german as well parts $$$$-

VR4/Stealth TT - Also nothing but for some reason I dont get the feeling that they are reliable.... why do these cars have more of a cult following than general enthusiast following?

I think we have a few winners-

Corvette C4: What I know- relative easy to work on but lots of electrical gremlins, very stiff/very squeaky rattling ride... love the v8 though.

BMW E36: Know virtually nothing other than the fact it is german and parts are expensive- everyone I have ever talked to has loved thiers though-

Audi S4: have heard front suspension is a problem other than that nothing- twin turbo v6 sounds like a nice combo- is german as well parts $$$$-

VR4/Stealth TT - Also nothing but for some reason I dont get the feeling that they are reliable.... why do these cars have more of a cult following than general enthusiast following?

Like I said, research Dado. His car was damn impressive.

Scott I wondered why you never got back to me about seeing that car- you sold its soul?

Sorry, it's heart lives in an FD at the moment :(

But I still have chasis, if you want to see it. Chilling in the back of my shop feeling lonely. I think we have too much on our plate at the moment to do the swap we were about to do.

An S4 in that price range is going to eat your wallet alive.

Yup. That was the reason I didn't buy one when I bought my GLI. I heard maintenance on an S4 is VERY often, and VERY expensive.

Even though I said this already, I want to vote again for an e36 M3. Not quite as fast in a straight line as some of the other cars mentioned (mid to high 14's I would guess), but a great DD, and also feels right at home on a road course. Oh, and you can get it in coupe or sedan form.

E36 M3

/End Thread

this man speaks the TRUFF!

DO NOT buy one to drag race it though unless you plan on going F/I (read $$$) somewhere down the line.

if...like you stated...a 14-ish quarter will satisfy your craving for power then read on. The e36 M3 will ride well, handle with just about anything on the road, and has excellent factory brakes. The biggest short coming of the car is that it's down on power by today's standards. Hell man, a new Camry v6 has more power than my car....ouchie. However for what I wanted in a car there wasn't anything that would do it better - that being a daily driver that was comfortable, looked good (opinion counts here obviously), and would still be able to hit the track (with turns) regularly and have lots of fun.

While the ride isn't exactly thrilling or breath taking, I've had a really hard time finding a car that is more fun to drive. If you want to look at mine and take a ride sometime just let me know.

this man speaks the TRUFF!

DO NOT buy one to drag race it though unless you plan on going F/I (read $$$) somewhere down the line.

if...like you stated...a 14-ish quarter will satisfy your craving for power then read on. The e36 M3 will ride well, handle with just about anything on the road, and has excellent factory brakes. The biggest short coming of the car is that it's down on power by today's standards. Hell man, a new Camry v6 has more power than my car....ouchie. However for what I wanted in a car there wasn't anything that would do it better - that being a daily driver that was comfortable, looked good (opinion counts here obviously), and would still be able to hit the track (with turns) regularly and have lots of fun.

While the ride isn't exactly thrilling or breath taking, I've had a really hard time finding a car that is more fun to drive. If you want to look at mine and take a ride sometime just let me know.

If you can get a 100K mile car for 10-11, put a TT kit on for 4K, you'll have a safe 350-400whp car. Replace the damn water pump!!! And weld the damn rear subframe!!!

If you can get a 100K mile car for 10-11, put a TT kit on for 4K, you'll have a safe 350-400whp car. Replace the damn water pump!!! And weld the damn rear subframe!!!

quite true, but at that power level it becomes a little less daily friendly.

If you think that you're going to go F/I buy an OBD-1 car and go with either a kit from TRM (the racers market) or TT (technique tuning).

As for mileage the main thing to look for is when routine maintenance has been done. Ball joints require replacing the entire front control arms which isn't quite cheap, and the stock radiator and water pumps are good for about 60K.

quite true, but at that power level it becomes a little less daily friendly.

If you think that you're going to go F/I buy an OBD-1 car and go with either a kit from TRM (the racers market) or TT (technique tuning).

As for mileage the main thing to look for is when routine maintenance has been done. Ball joints require replacing the entire front control arms which isn't quite cheap, and the stock radiator and water pumps are good for about 60K.

Mike R rear diff brace is a must for launching. I think he goes by the name of Maximum PSI now? ExtremePSI?

Beware of the plastic water pump of death!!! It left me on the highway...deep within KKK territory (I'm not the whitest person alive!!)

Research how many times the HG blew, or even better, go after the author of European Car Mag Pablo's no expense spared 3 or 4 time block destroying car. :rolleyes: :funny:

Quiet you :p

You can get a very nice 300zx Twin Turbo for around that price. Very quick with a couple bolt-ons and a flash. Though from experience I can say that as a DD, maybe not the most practical. VR4 maybe ? Lots of mustangs and fbodies available in your price range too, I suppose it just depends what you want.

I had to :). I can't stand people with more $ then brain power.

It is an example (when running and un-stolen) of what an e36 M3 can be. I would've done it differently but then again, I've been out of BMW world for too long.

I would like to say that you could pick up a very nice ls1 FC for 10k or less.

Heck a FC with a 4.3 like Tinman's would fit the bill too....and be really cheap.

BUT his origional post said Stock or very close to Stock...not sure how all these swap suggestions fall into that category.

Yep, I'm still debating buying one but it def. won't be a daily... haha

Yea, Ive driven wheel bearing last week, now electrical problem this week. Timing belt due, parts alone are 350 plus the 100 crank tool.

And put those rings back on your A4's grill!

Heck a FC with a 4.3 like Tinman's would fit the bill too....and be really cheap.

BUT his origional post said Stock or very close to Stock...not sure how all these swap suggestions fall into that category.

He's rolling 3800 Series II (which you can grab a long block for 600-800$)

I'm rolling the 4.3 :cool:

Might be able to find a higher mileage MKIV R32 for 15?

E36 M3, but don't know how the maint frequency/cost is on those

B5 S4s are an expensive car to DD as stated, but worth it if you can swing it.

Maybe a 2.7T A6 6 speed?