question for guys who work at dealers as mechanics

CJINOHIO03

I was always interested in going into this field but never did it. I was talking to a friend of mine in Jersey who has a BMW. He is good friends with some of the mechanics and advisors and said they make 80-100k. I was kinda suprised even with the cost of living difference on the East Coast.

Anyway my questions are what is the average pay around here at the domestic and foreign non luxury dealers?? I am looking for the normal average type of guy, not the guy who works a million extra hours etc.

Also, anybody in the there late twenties or older do you feel like shit every day after working on cars? I am curious because I do stuff on my own cars, but some times feel like shit for days afterwards. I am sore etc cant imagine what it would be like working on them every day. Maybe its just me..

• Downvote 1

I am a tech, but not at a dealer. My dad used to, and made close to 100k, but you have to hustle all the time to make that much. We both work aftermarket now, and like it better, but you would deffinatly learn more at a dealership. To answer your question about being sore and tired, sometimes but you get used to it. Personally I get tired of working on junk at work, you very rarly get to work on cool stuff, I like my job but it has its downfalls.

Techs who say they're making 90-100k a year are lying to you.. very seldomly are there techs making that much.

I could see an actual service MANAGER making that much, but not an advisor either.

Thats funny cause the service manager, who is a family friend, was the one who told me they were making that much, not the techs themselves.

Also, anybody in the there late twenties or older do you feel like shit every day after working on cars?

The "feel like crap" thing is more unatural movement/awkward positioning for me, just like lifting you ache for a few days then your ok.

Fumes thats a different story,just ask someone who has followed behind my 7 :)

if you would apply for some technician positions at local dealerships, would they send you through certification training or what not? How do you go about doing all that before people hire you?

Most places nowadays don't do the whole "factory trained" thing anymore. Most of it is computer based with very little hands on. I know with the dealership I've worked at both GM and Toyota are like that.

Experience means more than anything else in the car business. Just try to get an apprentice gig with some master tech at a dealership and learn from there.

The whole feel like crap thing, I'm only 22 and I feel like crap almost everyday. My back hurts, my neck hurts, my feet hurt, plus I'm stressed out a lot. It's a pretty stressful job, unless you have a lot of experience at the dealership it can be pretty stressful. Starting out the first couple years are the hardest.

Most places nowadays don't do the whole "factory trained" thing anymore. Most of it is computer based with very little hands on. I know with the dealership I've worked at both GM and Toyota are like that.

Experience means more than anything else in the car business. Just try to get an apprentice gig with some master tech at a dealership and learn from there.

The whole feel like crap thing, I'm only 22 and I feel like crap almost everyday. My back hurts, my neck hurts, my feet hurt, plus I'm stressed out a lot. It's a pretty stressful job, unless you have a lot of experience at the dealership it can be pretty stressful. Starting out the first couple years are the hardest.

the training thing is different from place to place. i have been sent all over for hands on stuff. if you have alot of traning done and have been somewhere for a long time or are really good then they will invest more in training you.

yes it can be stressful but you need to learn to leave it at the door when you clock out. also get some good shoes and your back and feet won't hurt, this is the first pair of shoes i have had that my feet don't hurt after working all day and i have been doing this for 7 years now.

I'm on my first year, so far it's not really paying off, crap conditions, crap pay, and lots of money for tools. and yes invest in a good pair of boots it's defiantly worth it. i feel like crap when i get home from work everyday and I'm only 18. but it's probably one of the highest paying jobs without college that's easy to get.

Guest 614Streets

One of the reasons I never pursued marine mechanics is how expensive it is to buy the tools for the jobs. That and there is not shit market wise in central ohio.

Autowise , Its very tough on your back and feet , your in contact with chemicals daily , fumes , poor working conditions. Thats why when you go into these places to work you don't settle for less than 40 k as a decent tech , do not let these desk job guys at dealerships bully you into slaving for low pay , you deserve more and taking a job for less pay as a mechanic , hurts all mechanics.

the training thing is different from place to place. i have been sent all over for hands on stuff. if you have alot of traning done and have been somewhere for a long time or are really good then they will invest more in training you.

yes it can be stressful but you need to learn to leave it at the door when you clock out. also get some good shoes and your back and feet won't hurt, this is the first pair of shoes i have had that my feet don't hurt after working all day and i have been doing this for 7 years now.

Well yeah. But you had to do all the GM online training first and all the IDLs to even go to hands-on. I was probably the highest trained tech at Saturn when I left. I had GM master in engine performance, brakes, and steering/suspension. Usually you just go to Dayton and Canton for most of the hands on, but there's only a few hands on per section. It doesn't end up being a ton of training. I was sent to NYC for my engine performance hands on, that was kinda nice though. I had ever single web based training done in all required sections and most IDLs. I was kind regreting not taking all those training credits and just going to a GM shop, but I just wouldn't enjoy it as much as working on Toyotas. I have to start all over now.

What kind of shoes do you wear? I usually wear crosstrainers b/c they are easier on my ankles, but have been thinking of looking at some nice boots.

I'm off to UTI arizona in a few months to goto audi academy and when I'm done with that I have a job lined up at MAG dealership. Within 2 years of working there as an audi tech I'll be a master technician. Not sure what type of pay I'll be started out with but I'm guessing 50-65K a year starting.

Well yeah. But you had to do all the GM online training first and all the IDLs to even go to hands-on. I was probably the highest trained tech at Saturn when I left. I had GM master in engine performance, brakes, and steering/suspension. Usually you just go to Dayton and Canton for most of the hands on, but there's only a few hands on per section. It doesn't end up being a ton of training. I was sent to NYC for my engine performance hands on, that was kinda nice though. I had ever single web based training done in all required sections and most IDLs. I was kind regreting not taking all those training credits and just going to a GM shop, but I just wouldn't enjoy it as much as working on Toyotas. I have to start all over now.

What kind of shoes do you wear? I usually wear crosstrainers b/c they are easier on my ankles, but have been thinking of looking at some nice boots.

i am 100% in fundamentals, engine performance, engine repair, electrical/electronics, manual drivetrain & axle, automatic transaxle/transmission, brakes, steering & suspension, HVAC, mech/elec/body repair, advanced technology vehicles.

85% in hybrid technologys.

IIRC i am 97% done with all the GM training.

i have Dr. Scholl's work shoes, i used to have Mechanics Wear boots but these are way better feeling.

I'm off to UTI arizona in a few months to goto audi academy and when I'm done with that I have a job lined up at MAG dealership. Within 2 years of working there as an audi tech I'll be a master technician. Not sure what type of pay I'll be started out with but I'm guessing 50-65K a year starting.

i doubt all that, not saying it can't be done but 2 years hands on experance is not much time. and i really don't see 50-65k starting happening to anyone.

i doubt all that, not saying it can't be done but 2 years hands on experance is not much time. and i really don't see 50-65k starting happening to anyone.

Won't happen. You'll start out making 35k-45k. It's the truth, like it or not.