HID lights for bikes

R1Limited

look at your HID kit from www.xenonlink.com. I got the 10,000 kelvin H7 kit from them over a year ago and it's been great. It's a simple plug and play system and take maybe 30 minutes to install. Total cost was $75 for the low beam. After it's installed, angle the low beam up a bit to get better visibility. I don't suggest installing a high beam, I blew a bunch of fuses from flicking the high beam on and off too much.

I bought a "hi-def" bulb for my bike it was about 7 dollars, it made a world of difference just being a whiter light... just my 2 cents....they have a bunch of different bulbs out there that are just plug n play.... shop around and try a couple less expensive options before dropping 75.00 or more on a kit.. you might find a bulb that suits your needs...

I agree with Campus Ricer. If you wanna go all out, do the whole kit with projector. I can speak for blinding half of Dublin when riding around sunset, but IMO its well worth being seen JUST that much more and they look awesome. Go for it. xenonrider, xenonexpert, theres a few more that are very reasonably priced!

look at your HID kit from www.xenonlink.com. I got the 10,000 kelvin H7 kit from them over a year ago and it's been great. It's a simple plug and play system and take maybe 30 minutes to install. Total cost was $75 for the low beam. After it's installed, angle the low beam up a bit to get better visibility. I don't suggest installing a high beam, I blew a bunch of fuses from flicking the high beam on and off too much.

This is very BAD advise!!! First off 10,000k is for ricers and actually doesn't produce as many lumens as lower temps (which is what we're going for here anyways). As a general rule of thumb for every 1000k in temp, lumens decrease about 10% and at 12000k the HID will actually be dimmer than your halogens. The blue/purple color will actually fatigue your eyes over a prolonged period of time.

You should look for something around 4100-4500k for maximum light output as well as white color. The two major companies that supply OEM HID don't even manufacture colors over 6000k or so. To reach these extreme temperatures these aftermarket companies tend to tint the actual bulb.

Second, as exSRAaron attested, putting the HID into a stock reflector scatters so much light that:

1. The output of light isn't used as effectively as in a projector

2. The high scatter of light will blind oncoming traffic as well as other riders in your group. (mirrors ya know)

So angling the reflector up makes the scatter even worse, pretty much aiming the light into others eyes.

Take your time and do some research, there is a ton of it available out there on the interwebs :badgerrock:

BTW that is my bike in the thread I posted above. ;) shittygsxr on the board knows his shit about HIDs also and is a good resource for info

Edited by Kip Drordy

Myself and Campus Ricer......hahahah (Racer) are working on a R1 retro project for my zx10....

I also will be using HID lights...BUT with the cutoffs installed...

CRacer is working on a way to still have lights showing when you are working through curves....

Myself and Campus Ricer......hahahah (Racer) are working on a R1 retro project for my zx10....

I also will be using HID lights...BUT with the cutoffs installed...

CRacer is working on a way to still have lights showing when you are working through curves....

BINGO! OEM headlights are fine as long as I'm going striaght. Once I get off the Highway and get into the curves the headlights don't help at all- especially on tighter curves. Apart from a lot of cutting and adding lights I thought HID would be the best bet. Let me know what you guys come up with.

I bought a "hi-def" bulb for my bike it was about 7 dollars, it made a world of difference just being a whiter light... just my 2 cents....they have a bunch of different bulbs out there that are just plug n play.... shop around and try a couple less expensive options before dropping 75.00 or more on a kit.. you might find a bulb that suits your needs...

i would advise against aftermarket bulbs (hid's are fine). i see so many cars that come into honda with fried wiring harnesses because they ran brighter autozone bulbs that got too hot.

edit: i actually am getting a set of hid's for christmas. i got a cheaper set that i could only get "5000k" lol, instead of 4300k which i believe is factory. but listen to campus racer on this one, he has the right ideas.

Edited by brennan

i would advise against aftermarket bulbs (hid's are fine). i see so many cars that come into honda with fried wiring harnesses because they ran brighter autozone bulbs that got too hot.

edit: i actually am getting a set of hid's for christmas. i got a cheaper set that i could only get "5000k" lol, instead of 4300k which i believe is factory. but listen to campus racer on this one, he has the right ideas.

actually I got mine thru J&P cycles... they were made for motorcycle headlights.... the output isn't any hotter then the oem's

HID's actually run cooler than stock lights, their lower wattage and a higher lumen, which is the intensity of the light. If you've never ridden behind an HID bulb then you have no clue what the feck your missing. I've tried the 7 dollar and 12 and 30 dollar wonder bulbs. Spend the 80 bucks and do and HID you WON"T regret it. I have no clue how the hell I rode at night without one. Not to mention the number of idiots pulling out in front of me is down to near zero!

• 3 weeks later...