New 4-cylinder, 6-speed Malibu scores 30mpg in real world test

excell

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/01/new-4-cylinder-6-speed-malibu-scores-30mpg-in-real-world-test/

Note that last bit:

Interestingly that 30mpg on the road is better than the 26.5mpg I managed with the Saturn Aura Hybrid last year which is built on the same platform.

Pretty cool. :)

To hybrids--What do you say, you do here?

My dad's prius averaged 54 mpg last tank. While the malibu numbers are pretty good, they're still a joke compared to a hybrid. 30mpg isnt exactly some milestone either, my xb seats as many as a malibu, holds more shit, and gets the same thing...

Guest GMoney
My dad's prius averaged 54 mpg last tank. While the malibu numbers are pretty good, they're still a joke compared to a hybrid. 30mpg isnt exactly some milestone either, my xb seats as many as a malibu, holds more shit, and gets the same thing...

Yes, i understand there are more fuel friendly cars out there, but i would love to see what the Prius or your Xb looks like after i hit it with my Chevy 2500 AVy after you run a red light in front of me.

You have to understand that this is good mpg a mid-size american car that doesn't have batteries. Plus your fathers batteries from his prius will be leaking in our waste yards messing up the planet for many years after the car is just scrap metal cause they are far too costly to recycle. This is just like those wonderful new light bulbs with mercury inside that everyone is installing in their house to save a bit of energy.

And I'm driving by, pointing and laughing at the idiot that would buy an xB.

And a Prius??!! Have you sat in one of those? I did at the Auto Show; the Toyota guy asked what I thought as I was sitting in it...my response was I wouldn't be caught dead owning that thing. I hated just sitting in it, I can only imagine how bad it would drive.

You can drive a mid 90's Civic CX Hatch and get awesome mileage too, but that doesn't really cross-shop a Malibu. That competes directly with the Accord, Camry, 500, etc.

I sure hope it has very little in common with the Aura. I have one as a rental and it sucks at everything literally.

:gtfo:

What all was noticeably bad about it? I thought that the reviews for this car were generally pretty good.

What all was noticeably bad about it? I thought that the reviews for this car were generally pretty good.

Accelerates Poorly

Stops Poorly

Turns Poorly

( The cheap interior laden with cheap plastic shit is a given as its GM)

Zero confidence at all in the car. It was a scary task to stop reasonably from 80mph.

my acura averages 29 mpg with a 3.2 v6 and 265 hp. in a real world test.

Yeah, it says the Malibu averaged "nearly" 30mpg in real world test, whatever that means. When I had my TL (270hp v6 5AT), I averaged nearly 29mpg. Some of my friends with 4cyl Accords regularly get 30-34mpg on a tank.

Yes, i understand there are more fuel friendly cars out there, but i would love to see what the Prius or your Xb looks like after i hit it with my Chevy 2500 AVy after you run a red light in front of me.

Ha, when I run a red light, clever. we're not talking about crash standards, we're talking about MPG. Besides, the prius and xb would be damn near as safe as a malibu in a collision. Both have five star crash test ratings, both have full side curtain and a-pillar airbags. what would your 'avy' look like if i ran it over with a dump truck? does that mean a dump truck that gets 3mpg is a good choice? is that even relevant to this argument or my original point? no.

You have to understand that this is good mpg a mid-size american car that doesn't have batteries.

I do understand that, in fact i never said anything to the contrary. I'm glad to see GM making a good car that gets decent gas mileage. My point was simply that 30mpg is not exactly some huge feat in the big picture, plenty of cars have been doing the same or better for quite a while.

Plus your fathers batteries from his prius will be leaking in our waste yards messing up the planet for many years after the car is just scrap metal cause they are far too costly to recycle.

actually, my dad (or the junkyard he sells it to in 8 years) will call the 1-800 number on the battery, get $200 from toyota in exchange for the battery, and Toyota will recycle it with the recycling program they have in place, turning the materials into stainless steel and new batteries.

This is just like those wonderful new light bulbs with mercury inside that everyone is installing in their house to save a bit of energy.

yeah whatever.

And I'm driving by, pointing and laughing at the idiot that would buy an xB.

what a well stated rebuttal. I see your point.

And a Prius??!! Have you sat in one of those? I did at the Auto Show; the Toyota guy asked what I thought as I was sitting in it...my response was I wouldn't be caught dead owning that thing. I hated just sitting in it, I can only imagine how bad it would drive.

No, my dad drives one, but gosh I just haven't gotten around to sitting in it, let alone driving it for a few 250+ mile road trips...

Clearly the time you sat in one at an auto show outweighs any real world experience i have with the car.

If you're 'cool' image is so important to you, thats fine, but it's irrelevant in this argument of MPG. I'm not sure the Malibu is going to be any better or worse as far as 'cool' factor anyway. But again, my point was simply that hybrids can still get WAY more than 30mpg, I was responding to the notion that hybrids are worthless because the new malibu gets a whopping 30mpg. That's all.

You can drive a mid 90's Civic CX Hatch and get awesome mileage too, but that doesn't really cross-shop a Malibu. That competes directly with the Accord, Camry, 500, etc.

The prius does compete with the Malibu. They may not be in the exact same class, but I can guarantee you that plenty of people who went to look at the accord, camry, malibu, etc. also checked out the prius.

Yes, it's a smaller car, but it's similarly priced, holds as many people, holds a decent amount of stuff, and comes with just as many (if not more) features. Plenty of people check them out to see if the huge increase in gas mileage is worth the small decrease in space (oh, and the un-cool factor).

Fuck that. My `94 corolla wagon with a 4 speed auto and 300K on the clock gets over 30mpg. Actually it gets 26 because I'm usually working with the engine running several hours of the day or napping at lunch with it running. Also the car is loaded to the roof with copier/printer parts and tools.

Evan