off road headers on ls1

yellowsnake

call me a dumbass but, i'm bout to install my off raod headers on my camaro, my question is, what do i do with the egr? do i need to get a resistor to make the computer think its there or what. i plan on having eric reflash the computer but will need to drive it too him. thanks.

Goto Autozone/Advance and get a rubber expand freeze plug. Max of $1.68ish. Just ask the guy if you can test it, theres a size that fits with a lil push and you only have to crank the bolt a few times for it to be sealed. As for the openings on the headers, get them pinched and welded shut. I'm sure theres people on here that will turn your EGR/AIR off for way under the price of a tune. If you have anymore questions gimme a PM, I just did this to my 98 :)

What year, and motor do you have? I have a 2000 TA with an LS1. I bought my plug from http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust for $2.00 I wasn't going to waste my time trying to find something that fit.

It was a whole 1.68 at my local parts store, and took me all but 2 tries to get one that fit..... Not everyone likes to mail order stuff nor just buy ready parts, hell thats the fun of modding a car trial and error ;)

It was a whole 1.68 at my local parts store, and took me all but 2 tries to get one that fit..... Not everyone likes to mail order stuff nor just buy ready parts, hell thats the fun of modding a car trial and error ;)

hhmmmmm, a metal plug that fits perfectly in there, or a universal rubber plug that expands as you twist? Sounds like universal oil plug and I know those don't seal, thanks but no thanks.

Goto Autozone/Advance and get a rubber expand freeze plug. Max of $1.68ish. Just ask the guy if you can test it, theres a size that fits with a lil push and you only have to crank the bolt a few times for it to be sealed. As for the openings on the headers, get them pinched and welded shut. I'm sure theres people on here that will turn your EGR/AIR off for way under the price of a tune. If you have anymore questions gimme a PM, I just did this to my 98 :)

+1 this is what I did for mine. if your getting race headers it should have the holes for the egr. mine we just fab up some block off plates with some sheet metal. You can also buy some.

hhmmmmm, a metal plug that fits perfectly in there, or a universal rubber plug that expands as you twist? Sounds like universal oil plug and I know those don't seal, thanks but no thanks.

Wow, I bet your one of those people that buys the "best" of everything. I'm sorry my pockets aren't as deep as yours. I go for the parts that make my car work, not shiney. If iI wanted flash I would have purchased a Corvette. Btw my rubber plug that expands as you turn it seals fine, hell you think they leak? Better tell all the people that use them in engine blocks for that coolant.....

I'm just glad I have the LS6 intake, and if you have a 97-98 LS1 I can delete your EGR and AIR injection for nothing. I'm not a pro tuner I just tune my own stuff, but simple stuff like that is no big deal. EFIlive come with the 97-98 streams for free, so anything newer I would have to buy a VIN licence for, but if you want a custom tune, which I'm sure you do, see a pro. There are a lot of them on here.

Don't you mean that I could do it since it is my EFIlive, BTW I need my laptop back shortly.

And yes Chad I say to it right or don't do it at all. But really $1.68 vs $2.00 + shipping, you problably spent more in gas going to the parts store.

Don't you mean that I could do it since it is my EFIlive, BTW I need my laptop back shortly.

And yes Chad I say to it right or don't do it at all. But really $1.68 vs $2.00 + shipping, you problably spent more in gas going to the parts store.

If I told you that my car's still running WITH the cheap ass soft plug would you believe me? Wait you can ask Anthony and anyone at the track day, as I was running down the track all day with my haggard ass freeze plug...

I run the rubber, expandable freeze plug. Been in there for six years under boost, with zero leaks and no issues. How's that for tested?

Chad from The 'Burg, you can swing by and look at my car if you'd like.

I'm glad that it works for you, that's cool, and yeah I'd like to see your car, not because of the plug but because it's badass. I was just stating where I got mine and it was just a few bucks more with the shipping and that's not going to break the bank. I did research when I was looking for mine and that was the cheapest, hell the ws6 store wanted 18 bucks for the plug. Mine is just a freeze plug also, just metal.

If you want to call me out like that, yes its yours, but you asked me to learn to use it. Gimme a damn break.

All I was saying is that the shit wasn't cheap and no one did shit for us for free. So help someone out but get something out of it to help pay for it.

No prob, I was just stating my end too.

Lemme know when you wanna swing by, my schedule is usually a mess.

I work the 1pm to 10pm during the week and 7:30am til 6pm on Saturday so whenever around that. You said that you live by Civic Park, right? I almost went over there Sunday after cleaning my car to take some pic. Let me know.