Ohio to Ban Pit Bulls CREW

dsm_sleeper

be as mad as you want I had to beat that dog to death after I knocked it away from it just kept getting back up and coming after me again, my offense I left a newspaper on the front porch just like I'd done numerous times it broke through a glass storm door to get out...

why keep dogs around like that? I've had probably 10 random mutt mix dogs and piles of different hunting hounds. I was never scared one of them might decide to just randomly attack me fuck pit bulls if that law passes I'll dance in the street

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotts are just as, if not more dangerous, but they dont get enough airtime for people to wish death upon them. Wishing that someones life long pet is forced to be put to sleep is ignorant. Some people do actually have the insurance, always have their dogs on leashes, and have trained them properly.

Rottweilers placed 2nd in the category of "most fatal attacks", yet were still less than half the amount of the "pit" breeds overall death toll over 15 years. (CDCP) That ofcourse seems unfair by itself, since your putting a single breed with a dominant nature vs. several. Though thats the way it is, a "pit bill" in the eyes of most = single breed.

Plenty of peoples "lifelong pets" have been involved in severe attacks against humans sometimes causing death. Thats why when "you" or anyone else was bitten by a shitzhu no one cared. Because it didn't take half your arm with it, and you didn't die from it.

Taking responsible owners pets seems pointless and hurtful to me, but pretending every person that buys a pit breed is responsible, seems flat out dumb to me. A video I saw comes to mind specifically, where an obese womans pitbull exits the house and was attacking an animal control officer sent to subdue the dog .

Now this is the exact type of person who should NEVER be allowed to own an animal as potentially dangerous as a pit/rott. If only 1 of every 100 (speculative number) owners are as dumb as this lady than thats 1 too many. A little girls leg was mauled for christs sake. Had to have reconstructive surgery. I'd like to see a dachshund do that. Legislation should be in place to prevent said irresponsible owners from attaining said animals, and when that fails and an attack occurs it should be no different than if the owner had committed assault/manslaughter themselves. Maybe worse.

I was camping last weekend and was walking with my wife and my dog. A "pit bull mix" was in a food tent with his family eating breakfast. He ran through the screen, ripping a large hole in the tent, and confronted us in the road - growling, salivating, barking, but thankfully did not attack. Owners just yelled "Angfel no, get back here Angel". Got to admit I was a bit scared - not as much as my Golden Retriever / Black Lab mix though. This type of dog is not a dog to take camping.

This bill is a slippery slope - where do they stop. Anyone in this thread that does not see that this type of dog is a much more serious threat than most dogs is fooling themselves. That being said, just enforce the current law. How many owners do you think are actually carrying the required insurance? Anyone in this thread? Didn't think so - if you enforce the current laws people will lose interest in the dogs.

Guest tbutera2112
pits arent the only dog that can attack...hell i have a friend who owns 9 german shepherd and one of them is named Shiva and its a fucking monster....it went to some obedience school for sheperds and it will attack on command...if they ban pits they might as well ban all dogs because all dogs can be raised to be mean

pits arent the only dog that can attack...hell i have a friend who owns 9 german shepherd and one of them is named Shiva and its a fucking monster....it went to some obedience school for sheperds and it will attack on command...if they ban pits they might as well ban all dogs because all dogs can be raised to be mean

This is the key note here.....not a random attack

Rottweilers placed 2nd in the category of "most fatal attacks", yet were still less than half the amount of the "pit" breeds overall death toll over 15 years. (CDCP) That ofcourse seems unfair by itself, since your putting a single breed with a dominant nature vs. several. Though thats the way it is, a "pit bill" in the eyes of most = single breed.

Plenty of peoples "lifelong pets" have been involved in severe attacks against humans sometimes causing death. Thats why when "you" or anyone else was bitten by a shitzhu no one cared. Because it didn't take half your arm with it, and you didn't die from it.

Taking responsible owners pets seems pointless and hurtful to me, but pretending every person that buys a pit breed is responsible, seems flat out dumb to me. A video I saw comes to mind specifically, where an obese womans pitbull exits the house and was attacking an animal control officer sent to subdue the dog .

Now this is the exact type of person who should NEVER be allowed to own an animal as potentially dangerous as a pit/rott. If only 1 of every 100 (speculative number) owners are as dumb as this lady than thats 1 too many. A little girls leg was mauled for christs sake. Had to have reconstructive surgery. I'd like to see a dachshund do that. Legislation should be in place to prevent said irresponsible owners from attaining said animals, and when that fails and an attack occurs it should be no different than if the owner had committed assault/manslaughter themselves. Maybe worse.

:rolleyes: Cousin was bitten by his parent's dachsund(sp?). He had to have stitches and reconstructive surgery on his hand. He has permanent nerve damage.

I was camping last weekend and was walking with my wife and my dog. A "pit bull mix" was in a food tent with his family eating breakfast. He ran through the screen, ripping a large hole in the tent, and confronted us in the road - growling, salivating, barking, but thankfully did not attack. Owners just yelled "Angfel no, get back here Angel". Got to admit I was a bit scared - not as much as my Golden Retriever / Black Lab mix though. This type of dog is not a dog to take camping.

This bill is a slippery slope - where do they stop. Anyone in this thread that does not see that this type of dog is a much more serious threat than most dogs is fooling themselves. That being said, just enforce the current law. How many owners do you think are actually carrying the required insurance? Anyone in this thread? Didn't think so - if you enforce the current laws people will lose interest in the dogs.

Again, a "pit bull" mix is mentioned. What is that? And the dog was only protecting his family. They're responsibility to properly handle their dog. These are the real problems. Not the dogs.

The breed of the dog has nothing to do with being able to take it camping. I have pictures here of Titan at a CR barbecue being "manhandled", so to speak, by someone's little 1 or 2yr old girl. (Sorry, can't remember who's she was :confused: ). Of course, nobody is denying the power of bully breeds. But, really, there are plenty of bigger, more people aggressive breeds. The attacks by "pitbulls" is so skewed due to improper indentification. Plus, enforcing insurance laws will not help anymore than it does, now. Like this other law (that won't or already hasn't passed), the people who raise their dogs to be dicks, won't give two shits either way.

Just another case of a bad few fucking it up for everyone. :mad:

Next CR BBQ I'm bringing Titan and we're gonna run through you all like wolves among lambs!

Not "protecting its family". I was a good 20-25 feet away and was walking by them - not towards them. You are correct in saying any dog can be made to be mean, however, these dogs have an inbred mean streak. It is in their bloodline. They were bred to fight - there is only so much you can do about it. I am glad you have a good one - but read the linked story (had NEVER shown a violent side). Could this happen to a retriever? Sure - but not nearly as likely. Let's also separate "bite" vs "attack". In my mind they a very different. I got bit by a cocker spaniel once - it bit me then ran away. A pit bull when it decides to bite is not going to bite and run away - it will attack.

Not "protecting its family". I was a good 20-25 feet away and was walking by them - not towards them. You are correct in saying any dog can be made to be mean, however, these dogs have an inbred mean streak. It is in their bloodline. They were bred to fight - there is only so much you can do about it. I am glad you have a good one - but read the linked story (had NEVER shown a violent side). Could this happen to a retriever? Sure - but not nearly as likely. Let's also separate "bite" vs "attack". In my mind they a very different. I got bit by a cocker spaniel once - it bit me then ran away. A pit bull when it decides to bite is not going to bite and run away - it will attack.

Poor breeding, mixed with another breed, improperly raised and/or controlled - all these things contribute to the whole "pitbull" stereotype. NONE of those things have anything to do with breed. Most don't realize the AmStaff, Staffy, and American Pit Bull were bred to have NO human agression and generally do not make good watch dogs. Any dog, ANY, that showed ANY human agression were culled or sold. All human agression was purposely bred out of them for the ring. A few reasons why: They not only had to be handled by the owner, but the caregiver (if there was one), the ref, and the handler of it's competion. Each dog was also washed by the opposite owner to be sure there was no "foul play". Also, in the ring, the dog had to have complete focus on it's competition. Remember, there's a bunch of people and noise. Any distractions due to human involvement would be enough for it to lose a match. All abnormal agression shown by these types of dogs, properly bred ones, are NOT due to it's creation or development as a breed.

The problem is people. The bully breed was just unlucky enough to look the way it does, to be tenacious and brave like any other terrier, and misused and abused like any other thing, living or otherwise by humans.

support bill 568 for the triple

support the death of idiots . It's not the dog its the owner.

Even in this thread people have said "PITBULL" mix. Yet I don't see anyone taking the test and telling me yeah igot it the first time. What defines a pitbul mix? What defines a pit bull. Any bull? So is a English Bulldog a PIt? If its mixed with a Lab does that make it a pit mix now. It will look similar to a APBT. So were do you draw the line. If your dog is no some fofo toy bread or a retriever its a pit?

You can't take a dog with a big jaw structure and call it a pit its not fair. Out of all the dogs out ther the CHOW scares me the most.

http://www.ourcompanions.org/images/outreach/miller-web.jpg

Pit Bull Mix?

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/Holiday2007Dogs/beau.jpg

Pit Bull ?

http://www.not-4-got-n.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/ga155.mcac2-3d.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Pitbull?

No

English Bulldogge mix

American Pitbull Terrier

Boxer mix.

People and Gov't need to mind their own business. You don't ban animals. :nono: Although every pit/dog owner should know if their "lovable cuddly Pit/dog" gets loose or is off a leash and goes crazy just for 2 minutes and mauls my wife, daughter, or family. (I'm talking maul here, severely injures a person) Dog and owner will wish they were never born. If you think pit bulls are vicious, apparently you don't know what humans are capable of doing. In that situation I will be 1000 times more dangerous than any dog that has ever lived. Every pit/dog owner needs to understand this. When you own any dog, it your responsibility to control said dog at all times, and the "it was an accident" does not apply in these situations. There is no oops. You fail, be prepared for some violence. I would not wait for the state to just kill the dog, the owner will need taught a lesson in life. The penalty for this shit is too lenient. This is where the gov't needs to step in if anywhere, your dog mauls a person, Dog dies and owner gets fucked hard.

While walking home from school a doberman jumped a fenced and chased me. While walking to play basketball with a friend a german shepard chased me. While sitting on my step at home a lab mix walked up within 2 feety of me and started barking and growling. My neighbors mastiff bit my other neighbor because she was too close to the fence. My best friend had a mixed doberman breed jump through a 2nd story screen window to chase him... Do I need to go on?

Dogs are animals and every single last one (with teeth :p) has the ability to bite, attack, and the bigger ones can kill. Idiots classify litterally over 10 different breeds as one to make them seem worse than they are and the ignorant jump on the bandwagon. A lot of you need to do some research. Yes the dog can be dangerous. But the numbers you see are not for each individual breed like the other dogs. They are for American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldog, mixed bull breeds, and any other breed that looks or acts like it might be related to a bully breed. So basically if your wiener mix is aggressive and bites someone they can honestly say its mixed with a pit bull and that attack would be listed under pit bull.. not weiner dog or mixed breed.

You run into one bad dog and the entire breed is bad :confused: It's kind of like saying I watched the news the other day and a white guy got arrested for attacking a woman... I guess all white guys are born with the smakabitch gene.

BTW, the part about the dog being confined to the house... you should learn to read... seriously

"Dogs that are a "breed of dog commonly known as a Pit Bull" must be confined on the owner's property by means of a locked fenced yard"

Ben, its good to see some neutral logic in all of this,.

Speaking of neutral logic...

Most of us who own dogs know the dogs characteristics. We see how they act around strangers, kids, other animals, etc. I would bet money that in a very high percentage of dog attacks the owner saw what the dog was capable of before it happened. Yes they are going to say, "King never did this before!" because saying, "He bit me 5 times" would put them up shits creek without a paddle or a boat. I was thinking about my dog that I had put to sleep because he was too aggressive. A lot of owners just deal with it and put people in harms way.

If owners would be more responsible and stupid ass criminals didnt make this their breed of choice there wouldnt even be an issue. I cant blame any of you in here for feeling the way you do about the dogs. The owners give you plenty of reason too.

/ nuetral logic

Speaking of neutral logic...

Most of us who own dogs see know the dogs characteristics. We see how they act around strangers, kids, other animals, etc. I would bet money that in a very high percentage of dog attacks the owner saw what the dog was capable of before it happened. Yes they are going to say, "King never did this before!" because saying, "He bit me 5 times" would put them up shits creek without a paddle or a boat. I was thinking about my dog that I had put to sleep because he was too aggressive. A lot of owners just deal with it and put people in harms way.

If owners would be more responsible and stupid ass criminals didnt make this their breed of choice there wouldnt even be an issue. I cant blame any of you in here for feeling the way you do about the dogs. The owners give you plenty of reason too.

/ nuetral logic

qft

http://www.doubledownpits.com/imagemanager/images/butterbeanweb.jpg

apparently just because he looks like a badass.. its enough to ban the breeds...

My 4 year old cousin rides both of my pits around like they are horses.... and in almost 11 years of having pits through my house ive never had any of them go after any one.

been fighting this crap for years.

if this law or anyone like it does pass... i wont be "shooting" it out with the cops... but i sure as shit will end up in jail.

Human beings can kill people without notice. I think we should have them killed because all of them are dangerous.. especially the ones that wear sleeveless shirts :eek::eek::p

Just a thought, how many of those pit bull attacks were on criminals or trespassers in a fenced in area? How many of them were possible pit bull mixed breeds. I looked and I couldnt find it...

update:

Yates, Webster Announce Pit Bull Legislation

State Reps. Tyrone K. Yates (D-Cincinnati) and Shawn Webster (R-Hamilton) Monday announced a joint effort to craft a comprehensive approach to Ohio’s pit bull issue.

“I introduced legislation to ban pit bulls as a springboard for discussion on a vital public safety issue for Ohio,” Yates said. “Pit bulls raised in urban neighborhoods to be aggressive pose a threat to our children and our communities, and I am serious about stopping this dangerous practice.”

Webster, a practicing veterinarian, agreed to work with Yates after the introduction of Yates’ HB568.

Both representatives have a history of addressing vicious animal issues. Yates first engaged the pit bull issue as chair of the Cincinnati City Council Law and Public Safety Committee in the mid 1990’s. Webster is sponsor of HB366, which removes pit bulls from the definition of “vicious dogs.”

“I appreciate Rep. Yates’ willingness to work on compromise language together,” Webster said. “Many pit bulls are good family pets owned by responsible people. Local communities should be able to decide what is best for their residents, and I believe there should be exceptions made for responsibly-owned, good-citizen pit bulls.”

Hundreds of people have called or emailed both representatives about their respective legislation. Several cities – including Cincinnati, Toledo and Lakewood – have responded to a series of pit bull attacks by considering restrictions or outright bans on the breed.

“My goal has never been to seize family pets,” Yates said. “We want to address this danger to our urban areas while respecting the rights of responsible dog owners. I’m glad constituents have contacted me about their concerns as we engage in this important dialogue, which will hopefully lead to comprehensive legislation protecting gentle family pets while putting a stop to the violent training of pit bulls.”

Story originally published in The Hannah Report on June 2, 2008. Copyright 2008 Hannah News Service, Inc.

“My goal has never been to seize family pets,” Yates said. “We want to address this danger to our urban areas while respecting the rights of responsible dog owners. I’m glad constituents have contacted me about their concerns as we engage in this important dialogue, which will hopefully lead to comprehensive legislation protecting gentle family pets while putting a stop to the violent training of pit bulls.”

I dont have a problem with this. Implementation is the real issue.

I'm a litttle late to the party, but I thought I needed to put my 2 cents in.

Will this bill pass? Most likely not. Should it IMO, yes. The one thing missing in all of these posts is a personal point of veiw of an attack by said dog mentioned here. So I'll give you mine.

5 years ago when my daughter was 12 she and he cousin were attacked by a pit, they were 5 houses down from my house, screamed, and my father ran to their defense. Long story short, my daughter was bit in in the leg and arm, and my father ended up with 33 stitches from his ear to his throat. All this from a 5 year old, primarily house dog, who happened to get over a 6ft tall privacy fence at 6pm on a bright sunny day.

This dog lived in a home with 3 teens, and was not raised wrong in any way, he got out and just snapped. The dog got out, and went clear accross the street to attack my family. This breed of dog has no place in a residential area of any kind where children are present IMO.

The owners of the dog had NO required insurance of any kind on this dog, and me and my father came within a hairs breath of taking the home right out from under this family, if we had not known them for a few years we probaly would have taken more than their homeowners insurance.

I understand that those of you who own the dogs love them, all i can say to you, is I hope you carry the insurance needed to own these dogs, because the conseqences could be quite large if you dont.

BTW it was unbearable to see my father getting stitched up becuase of this, It was the hardest thing I've had to endoure so far in my life.

• Downvote 1

I think the argument here is that most dogs bite and stop. Pit bulls and Rotts bite and keep going until the job is finished. Maybe I've been brainwashed but look below...

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/danger.htm#homicides

[B]Canine homicides: July 2006 to present [/b]

The term "canine homicide" refers to the death of a person which is caused by a dog. There are many caveats when considering reports of fatal dog attacks. Dr. Richard Polsky's website entitled Fatal Dog Attacks in the United States contains a disclaimer that applies to not only his site, but Dog Bite Law and any other publication, book, list or other report pertaining to canine homicides. Dr. Polsky points out that not all deaths involving dogs are included in these lists; that the breed of dog is frequently misstated, especially where the pit bull is concerned; and that these reports should not be used to support breed specific legislation.

In Karen Delise' book, Fatal Dog Attacks, the author writes about the different methodologies that are used for reporting canine homicides. As mentioned above, in The Problem With Statistics, she reported many more dog attacks than the Centers for Disease Control during the period covered in her book. The reason is that she investigated any and all reliable accounts of these fatalities, while the CDC confined itself to published accounts which appeared in LexisNexis.

This underscores the need for more extensive and accurate investigation and reporting of dog attacks in general. This is one of the suggestions made by Attorney Kenneth Phillips in his 10-point plan for Preventing Dog Attacks. Unless we know more about dog attacks, it makes little sense to formulate specific solutions.

Beginning July 2006, this web site began summarizing, on a monthly basis, the canine homicide cases:

July 2006: The month of July saw three human deaths, all by pit bulls. Two deaths were in one-bite states.

On July 27th, 71-year-old Ms. Jimmie May McConnell was in her yard in Kansas City, Kan., when a pit bull jumped over her fence and killed her.

Earlier in the month, 3-year-old Mariah Puga of Hargill, Texas, was killed by her parents pit bulls.

John Brannaman, 81, died of a heart attack at Orlando, Florida, on July 31st after he was mauled by two pit bulls in front of his home when he tried to retrieve garbage cans from the road.

August 2006: The month of August saw two canine homicides, both in Florida, one by a Presa Canario and the other by a boxer.

On August 18th, a Presa Canario ripped the jugular vein from the neck of its owner, Shawna Willey, 30, in Tamarac, Florida. She was giving the dog a bath and it bit her a half dozen times. This is the same breed of dog that killed Diane Whipple (see below).

On August 30th, a man was killed by a boxer that was confined in a dog pen, in Miami.

September 2006: In September, no persons were killed by dogs in the USA. The UK saw a terrible coincidence, however, in which a baby was killed by Rottweiler guard dogs and then, within hours, her grandfather was stabbed and left for dead (but survived). October 2006: There were three canine homicides in October, one by a Rottweiler and two by pit bulls. Two deaths were in one-bite states.

On October 3, 2006, 2-year-old Julius Graham of Greene County, North Carolina, was killed by a Rottweiler.

On October 8, 2006, 44-year-old Jeannine Fusco was killed in Ramapo, NY, by a pit bull that she was taking care of for a friend.

On October 28, 2006, 40-year-old Tim McCurry of Montgomery County, TX, was killed by a pit bull that he was considering buying for home protection.

November 2006: November broke the monthly record for canine homicides: there were 7. Three were in one-bite states.

On November 3, two-year-old Ariel Pogue of Tallapoosa County, Alabama, was mauled to death outside her home by one of her parents' three Rottweilers, in the presence of her mother.

Also on November 3, 10-year-old Matthew Davis of Dillon, South Carolina was killed by six dogs that attacked him outside a rural home.

On November 4, one-year-old Allen L. Young died after he was mauled at home by his dad's four pit bulls, which took the boy from his bed at night.

On November 6, two-year-old Luis Fernando Romero Jr. was killed after being mauled by two Rottweilers at his home near Tucson, Arizona.

On November 8, a pit bull was found eating the body of Richard Adams, in Phenix City, Alabama, after it killed him.

On November 13, two Rottweilers killed 40-year-old James L. Eisaman of Summit County, Ohio.

On November 21, two dogs killed 4-year-old Pedro Rios in east Harris County, Texas, as he was playing outside his house.

December 2006: There were no canine homicides in the USA in December 2006.

2007 Overview

In 2007, the USA had 32 fatal dog attacks on people. This was the first year in which details were published by Dog Bite Law (http://www.dogbitelaw.com). The home page of Dog Bite Law contains an analysis of the 2007 statistics, especially as they relate to the one bite rule. The month-by-month summary is as follows:

January 2007: There were 4 canine homicides in the USA in January 2007. All were in one-bite states.

In San Antonio, TX, 10-year-old Amber Jones was fatally attacked by a neighbor's pit bull on January 12, 2007. She previously had played with the dog.

In St. Louis, MO (Missouri), on January 15, 2007, Linda Mittino, 69, was killed by her son's dog, a 7-year-old German shepherd. The same dog had attacked her the previous November, requiring her to submit to three hours of plastic surgery. She resisted having the dog punished for the earlier attack upon her. This time, it killed her.

In Richmond, VA, 6-year-old Matthew Logan Johnson was mauled to death on January 24, 2007, by two of seven Rottweilers owned by his parents. The dogs that killed the boy were newly adopted only days before.

In Brewton, Alabama, on January 29, 2007, 18-month-old Taylor Kitlica was killed on her front lawn by a Rottweiler that her parents had found and chained there, hoping that its owner would retrieve it.

February 2007: There was one canine homicide in the USA in February 2007. It happened in Georgia, a state that has repudiated the one-bite rule under only the most narrow circumstances. In Atlanta, Georgia, 2-year-old Robynn Bradley was mauled to death on February 16, 2007 by a pit bull mix and mastiff mix that had escaped from their pen.

March 2007: Two people were killed by dogs in the USA in March 2007, and both were in Texas, a one-bite state. On March 16, a 50-year-old woman from Friendswood, Texas, was found dead in her backyard, the victim of her own dog or dogs, of which there were three.

On March 23, a two-year-old Dallas-area girl was fatally mauled by her parents' dog at their mobile home.

April 2007: There was one canine homicide in the USA in April 2007. In Charleston, South Carolina, 2-year-old Brian Palmer was mauled to death by the family pit bull. The boy had been left alone in the house with the dog and the boy's brothers, the oldest of whom was 16.

May 2007: In May 2007, five Americans died as a result of being attacked by dogs. Four of the deaths were in one-bite states.

On May 13th, Celestino Rangel, a 90-year-old man in San Antonio, Texas, was killed by two pit bulls that had broken into his home and attacked him.

On May 17th, in Memphis, Tennessee, 59-year-old James Chapple, Jr., whose brutal injuries and hospital-bed testimony helped to repeal the "one bite rule" in that state, died from complications of those injuries, which were incurred earlier in the year and were also inflicted by pit bulls. (Tennessee will change from a one-bite state to a statutory strict liability state if the governor signs into law a bill that the legislature passed in May.)

On May 25th, in El Paso, Texas, 96-year-old Magdalena Silva was mauled to death by a Doberman Pinscher and a German Shepard as she was feeding the dogs.

On May 26th, a 3-year-old boy was mauled by dogs at Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia, and died on May 29th.

Also on May 26, 71-year-old Carshena Benjamin of Collier County, Florida, was killed by put bulls. The death was not initially attributed to dogs, however, because the criminal investigation was quietly terminated later in the year. Florida is a statutory strict liability state.

June 2007: In June 2007, two Americans died as a result of being attacked by a dog. On June 17, 2007, a 1-year-old Chow killed its owner, Phyllis G. Carroll, 63, in Connersville, Indiana.

On June 29, 2007, Mary Diana Bernal, 62, of Dallas, Texas, was killed by a pit bull owned by her brother in law, Eliasar Macias. "My dog never had any problems. He was a real friendly dog until now," Macias said. This killing happened in Daytona Beach, Florida, and the dog was in very poor health.

July 2007: In July 2007, three Americans died as a result of being attacked by a dog. A Rottweiler, chained in its owner's unfenced front yard, killed 5-year-old Tiffany Pauley of Carroll County, GA (45 miles from Atlanta). This accident illustrates the danger of chaining, which substantially increases a dog's aggression toward humans. For more about chaining, see Why Dogs Bite People.

On July 23, 2007, 11-month-old Trey Paeth of Florence, Ala., was killed in Putnam County, Tenn., by two Siberian huskies. The boy was in a screened playpen, and the dogs bit and clawed their way through it to maul him to death. His parents were in another room and did not hear anything. The dogs later were destroyed.

On July 29, 2007, a 6-month-old pit bull in Bath, New York, killed 6-year-old Sabin Jones-Abbott of Steuben County, New York. The boy had been feeding the dog minutes before the attack.

August 2007: Three Americans died in August as a result of being attacked by a dog. On August 16, 2007, 7-year-old Zachary King Jr. of Minneapolis, MN, was killed by his family's pit bull, which was kept chained in the basement. The dog had bitten others in the past.

Another chaining death occurred in McMinn County, Tennessee. On August 18, 2007, 15-month-old Elijah Rackley was killed by a chained family dog. The female Chow-mix just had puppies. See the Dog Bite Victim Log for Attorney Phillips' commentary on the highly flawed Tennessee law that partially was the cause of this latest fatality. See Why Dogs Bite People for more information about the dangerous practice of chaining a dog.

On August 31, 2007, 6-year-old Scott Warren of Dallas was killed by his family's pet pit bull.

September 2007: Four Americans were killed by dogs in September 2007, with three of the deaths occurring in Illinois.

On September 12, 2007, Lylie Cox, a 4-month-old girl living in Warren, Illinois, was mauled to death by a 120-pound Rottweiler. The dog was found as a stray a month before and previously had demonstrated aggression toward children.

On September 13, 2007, a pack of bulldogs killed two more residents of illinois. Edward Gierlach, 91, of Iosco Township, Michigan, and Cheryl Harper, 56, of Fowlerville, Michigan, were killed by the same group of dogs in two separate attacks. Illinois is a strict liability state.

On September 25, 2007, two dogs killed an unnamed 2-year-old boy in Lincolnton, North Carolina, which is a one-bite state.

October 2007: In October 2007, two Americans were killed by dogs.

On October 3, 2007, Tina Marie Canterbury, 42, of Middleburg, Florida, was mauled to death by the two pit bulls which she had raised from the time they were puppies. Florida is a strict liability state.

On October 15, 2007, Rosalie Bivins, 65, died after a pack of five to seven dogs attacked her as she used a walker to make her way to the mailbox at the end of her driveway. This happened in Oklahoma, a strict liability state.

November 2007: In November 2007, two Americans were killed by dogs.

On November 6, 2007, 11-year-old Seth Lovitt was running through his own home when his parents' pit bull jumped off a couch and mauled the child to death. This happened in Killeen, Texas.

On November 12, 2007, 21-year-old Jennifer Lowe of Knox County, Tennessee, died after she was mauled by pit bulls at the residence of a friend. The police took 29 minutes to respond to neighbors' repeated 911 calls. Tennessee passed a dog bite statute this year that specifically re-enacted the one-bite rule for dog attacks that take place on the premises of the dog's owner. This means that there will be no automatic liability on the part of the owners of these killer dogs.

December 2007: In December 2007, three Americans were killed by dogs.

On December 13, 2007, Holden Jernigan, 2 years old, was mauled to death in his grandmother's back yard by her male pit bull. She was babysitting him when he went into the yard, alone. This happened in South Carolina, a strict liability state. This is the second canine homicide in that state this year.

December 17, 2007, 77-year-old Blanche Broduer was attacked in Clayton, Georgia, by a pit bull in the home that the victim was house-sitting. Georgia is a "mixed" state, meaning that it has a dog bite statute which substantially re-enacted the old English one-bite rule.

On December 25, 2007, in Yermo, California, 45-year-old Kelly Caldwell was killed by up to five dogs. The dogs were running at large on the street where the victim was walking. The dogs were pit bulls and at least one belonged to a neighbor. California is a strict liability state.

January 2008: Three Americans were killed by dogs in January 2008.

On January 3, 2008, 8-month-old Andrew Stein of Brooklyn, New York, was killed in his home by his parents' Doberman pinscher. New York is a one-bite state that has a dog bite statute which makes owners strictly responsible only for medical bills.

On January 18, 2008, 6-week-old Justin Mozer of Lexington, Kentucky, was killed by his uncle's Jack Russell Terrier. The uncle's pit bull and the Jack Russell Terrier were put down following this attack. Fatal attacks by Jack Russells are rare. Kentucky is a strict liability state.

On January 20, 2008, 24-year-old Kelli Chapman of Longville, Louisiana, was killed by her two pit bulls. Her husband found her on the floor of their bedroom, where she died of bite trauma and blood loss. Louisiana has a dog bite statute that talks of strict liability but requires proof of dog owner negligence.

February 2008: No Americans were killed by dogs in February 2008.

March 2008: No Americans were killed by dogs in March 2008.

April 2008: One American was killed by a dog in April 2008. On April 28, 2008, Abraham Jonathan Tackett, 23 months old, wandered into a neighbor's "dog lot" when his father left him alone. A Husky on a chain killed the child in short order. The accident happened in Fort Yukon, Alaska, a one-bite state.