Nelson Ltimeedges Funday 6/20

AudiOn19s

I know several of you here have shown some interest in getting on track with my brother and I (Erik, Derek, etc) and Nelson Fundays are a perfect opportunity for a low(er) cost open lapping day.

Details: No early signup committment, simply show up on 6/20 and pay ($130 drivers, $5 spectators) at the gate. Manditory drivers meeting at 9:45, open lapping sessions from 10-12:30, Lunch 12:30-1:00, then green track again from 1-4:00pm. Usualy there's 2 or 3 rungroups and is the best track time per $$$ spent of any event I've ever been to.

**However...there's no instruction provided or available unless you bring an instructor with you.

Suggestions: Flush brake fluid and make sure you've got pleanty of brake pad prior to attending.

We usually leave at 6:30 for the drive up in the morning.

Looking forward to seeing if any others are interrested in joining. If there's heavy rain in the forecast for the 20th, there's another one on the following friday that we will attend instead.

Andy

I can't recommend the Fundays at Nelson enough. Great track and laid back atmosphere, always a good time.

I have to work on the 20th, the only Friday all year I need to be there. But I will be there on the 27th. I hope those of you that go on the 20th have a good time and if it rains, I'll see you the Friday after.

Nelson Ledges is a neat track - I had the opportunity to drive the 24 hr race there 4 times in the late 80's (2nd in class/4th Overall in a 300ZX in '88!). It is a fast track that is fairly easy on brakes. Tire walls around the track with good runnoff areas in most places. The Carousel turn in the scariest place to go off due to the banking and short runoff to the swamp. The folks with good handling cars and strong wills can get through the kink on the backstraight flat out - but its will make you pucker every time! I do't really have anythign to drive up there now - need to fix that and revisit an old favorite!

I'm so excited.

What do I need to bring. The car iwll be ready.

Helment

Gloves?

Pizza?

Helmet yes. Also, unlike other lapping days there really are no restrictions on passenger ride alongs. So if anyone is coming to spectate bring a helmet as you'll be sure to be able to catch a ride along with someone.

Water and food is a good idea although they have a concession "trailor" that has some pretty good eats if you're not able to bring a cooler.

Andy

Nelson Ledges is a neat track - I had the opportunity to drive the 24 hr race there 4 times in the late 80's (2nd in class/4th Overall in a 300ZX in '88!). It is a fast track that is fairly easy on brakes. Tire walls around the track with good runnoff areas in most places. The Carousel turn in the scariest place to go off due to the banking and short runoff to the swamp. The folks with good handling cars and strong wills can get through the kink on the backstraight flat out - but its will make you pucker every time! I do't really have anythign to drive up there now - need to fix that and revisit an old favorite!

Very cool stuff Craig. Got any old pictures from the events? I used to have a page saved that had a bunch of photos of the Nelson 24hr races, but can't seem to find it right now.

Bill, tempting but that would be an awfully expensive day for me.

AJ, the tank or whatever would be neat, though might be hard on the asphalt. I'd love any Vette except one from the 80's. F-body must be an LSX car, that accord would be the fastest thing on the track and I would be lapping everyone so it would be no fun, no Fords for me except a really clean mustang.

Guest tbutera2112
do they check licenses?...never been to a track so i would wanna be in the slow class lol but it would be fun... any restriction on helmets? ive got a dirt bike helmet i can take the visor off of...its snell rated

do they check licenses?...never been to a track so i would wanna be in the slow class lol but it would be fun... any restriction on helmets? ive got a dirt bike helmet i can take the visor off of...its snell rated

well....seeing as you have to drive there and back, that should probably limit your ability to go.

No they don't check. This is about as Hillbilly as you can get for a track day, but they're suprisingly well run and more fun than you can imagine.

i would take a co driver to drive me there....just dont wanna waste the gas if they wont let me drive once im there

Guest tbutera2112

ok well....ill be there if i can find a co driver and come up with the money.....if theyre so hillbilly,i should be able to get away with wearing this right? without a visor...snell rated super-x helmet

http://www.extremesupply.com/images/kbc/superx7/2007/superx-gun-white.jpg

Very cool stuff Craig. Got any old pictures from the events? I used to have a page saved that had a bunch of photos of the Nelson 24hr races, but can't seem to find it right now.

I'll have to have the wife check the "archives". I too had a couple of websites with information/photos - but they're gone now as well.