7 busted after cheers erupt at S.C. graduations

ImUrOBGYN

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25083792/?GT1=43001

Apparently, this isn't the only school who's lost their f'n minds, either. I don't even know where to fuckin begin with this. I mean, I understand why they may've implemented something to this affect in the first place, but when does common fuckin sense fly out the window?

Arresting people for things that are not unlawful is BS. Clapping at a graduation is not illegal. If it were me I would hire the best lawyer I could find and turn it into a defamation of character suit against the school system.

One of my Cousins just graduated HS a week or so ago and apparently it was way out of hand with people (mainly adults, not just punk-ass kids) throwing things and screaming right into other peoples ears... Just generally being jackasses and flagrantly ignorant, then cussing people out for giving them "looks" and trying to start fights. That's an awesome way to celebrate a graduation.

Common sense would tell you if you don't want people to look at you, don't scream in their ear like a jackass. Sadly, common sense isn't so common nowadays.

One of my Cousins just graduated HS a week or so ago and apparently it was way out of hand with people (mainly adults, not just punk-ass kids) throwing things and screaming right into other peoples ears... Just generally being jackasses and flagrantly ignorant, then cussing people out for giving them "looks" and trying to start fights. That's an awesome way to celebrate a graduation.

Common sense would tell you if you don't want people to look at you, don't scream in their ear like a jackass. Sadly, common sense isn't so common nowadays.

I agree. The reason why people frown down on it is because what if you are the person that comes behind someone who's family and friends are cheering. Most likely your family will not get to hear your name called because people are still cheering. I see both sides of it though.

Last year in Galesburg, Ill., five students were denied diplomas from the city's lone public high school after enthusiastic friends or family members cheered for them during commencement. Students could get their diplomas after completing eight hours of public service for the school district.

you got to be fucking kidding me!?!

I agree. The reason why people frown down on it is because what if you are the person that comes behind someone who's family and friends are cheering. Most likely your family will not get to hear your name called because people are still cheering. I see both sides of it though.

Its a legit concern, but now they're just a stone's throw from "sit straight up, look forward, no talking out of turn, no emotion, no questioning the establishment"

^^ thats bullshit..you are supposed to celebrate although not be ridiculous at the same time..but denying diplomas is crossing the line IMO

Agreed, although it makes me wonder how bad it must have gotten the years before for them to come up with this idea. If you instate ridiculous penalties for ridiculous behavior, maybe it will cause people to think a little - even if it's BS.

The ninety warnings on everything I buy saying things like "Don't stick this in your eye" are there for a reason too... but you know someone has probably done it anyway.

At my HS grad no one was allowed to clap either.. until the end of course.

Crazy weird

Similar to mine. They asked us to not clap or cheer until the very end but there were still a few small outbursts which I don't think anyone minded. Made it not so monotonous.

Its a legit concern, but now they're just a stone's throw from "sit straight up, look forward, no talking out of turn, no emotion, no questioning the establishment"

I agree with you. It has gotten out of hand on both sides, people with air horns, screaming and the students being denied diplomas or parents getting arrested.

Similar to mine. They asked us to not clap or cheer until the very end but there were still a few small outbursts which I don't think anyone minded. Made it not so monotonous.

Watterson's was the same. I think they just wanted to get out of the hot ass gym as fast as possible.

yeah i cant see these arrests getting very far in the court. any judge worth his salt would throw them out and hopefully call the officer a fag for wasting his time.

i think next year EVERYONE should cheer.

Arresting people for things that are not unlawful is BS. Clapping at a graduation is not illegal. If it were me I would hire the best lawyer I could find and turn it into a defamation of character suit against the school system.

WTF!!! It all boils down to people respecting each other. If you are proud of your son, daughter, sister, brother etc. , then you should be able to cheer. But be respectful of the other people that are graduating and STFU after their name has been called. You can throw a party AFTER everyone has had their chance to walk across the stage. I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that the school had cops there ready to remove people, or the fact that the people couldn’t be polite and respectful enough that they HAD to be removed. Because you know this wasn’t the first year of stupidity at a graduation. Which just strengthens the argument that apparently the kid walking across the stage IS the only one in the family with enough sence…rant/

I agree. I graduated from a ghetto H.S. You could not hear the student names being called. If that is the first person to graduate in H.S. in your family, good for them, but don't take away the experience for the rest of the students. This just follows a general pattern of selfishness and lack of etiquette. Arresting them is over the top.

I agree. I graduated from a ghetto H.S. You could not hear the student names being called. If that is the first person to graduate in H.S. in your family, good for them, but don't take away the experience for the rest of the students. This just follows a general pattern of selfishness and lack of etiquette. Arresting them is over the top.

+1. I don't mind a few cheers but some of the morons in the crowd would scream/shout/blow airhorns, all while the next person is waiting even longer to be called only to have their guests be respectful enough to just clap. I wouldn't have anyone arrested but it's something that is wrong on both sides.

last week i had the honor of hooding my brother as he graduated from medical school. it was a tremendous honor for both of us. we shook hands, hugged, and as he walked away, i smacked him on the ass (not in a 'homo' type of way either)---the crowd absolutely loved it. i was actually quite impressed with the sheer number of people who showed up to see roughly 200 people graduate. and people DO cheer after every name called